Black Gelish Nightmare!!!! Help!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmichelleb

Reaction score
Hey guys!! Im a Shellac die hard fan, but with their A/W collection being postponed til March id bought in a few Gelish colours to see us through the winter. One of my clients asked me if i could buy in the black to use on her, so today i used it for the first time. I used the Gelish base coat,cured, applied thin coat of black and capped/sealed free edge- just like i would with Shellac, cured,Applied another coat n capped, but even after curing NEITHER coats of black stayed put!!!!I went to apply top coat and could see it coming off on the brush. I then decided to see what would happen if i tried to wipe it off and the whole lot came off!!!!!!!
Needless to say a rather unhappy client and an incredibly stressed me!!!!!! I took it all off and she had a different colour but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??!!!!The other Gelish colours ive got all work perfectly!!!!I dont know whats happened! Any ideas???:mad:

Were you dry wiping between coats hun ??
xx

Oh dear!! Not good!! First thing that springs to mind is you lamp, are you using the tray brisa lamp? If so I've found that it doesn't cure quite the same as it's not 36 watt lamp. Give harmony a call they will be glad to help you out x

yeah i use the Brisa lamp, but then ive never had any trouble what so ever with any of my other Gelish colours and ive been wearing them all the time. Its only the black thats been a problem!!!
Whats dry wiping? Ive always applied Gelish in the exact same way as shellac and never had any problem? Its made me abit nervous now as to whether to buy in any more Gelish colours incase it happens again!!!x

Actually the CND UV lamp does use 36 watts of power .. which as we all know has actually got nothing to do with the cure. The amount of UV is the only thing that cures. What is the tray Brisa Lamp by the way? I have never heard it refered to with that name. There is the original CND UV Lamp (no longer produced but still perfectly good and useable) and there is now the newly designed CND UV lamp (many added features and five-finger cure). Both are equal in UV output and only the design of the lamp is changed and now improved.

ino with gelish im not sure if you were told but after uve cured the base coat you have to then with a clean dry brush wipe the exess off, dont know why you have to! not really keen on gelish doesnt compair 1 teeny tiny bit to Shellac!
but try wiping and see if it make any difference? HTH

why not try black Brisa? :D xx

Last edited:
Actually the CND UV lamp does use 36 watts of power .. which as we all know has actually got nothing to do with the cure. The amount of UV is the only thing that cures. What is the tray Brisa Lamp by the way? I have never heard it refered to with that name. There is the original CND UV Lamp (no longer produced but still perfectly good and useable) and there is now the newly designed CND UV lamp (many added features and five-finger cure). Both are equal in UV output and only the design of the lamp is changed and now improved.

Actually I was told this by a Cnd trainer so I was only passing on what I've been told, sorry. And I meant to type grey, it's my phone that must have predicted the word wrong!! God you are so aggressive with your posts!!!

What was aggressive about my post? I really think you ought to read my posts a bit differently instead of reading in to them and endowing me with an atitiude that I do not have but that you seem to want me to have.

The CND UV Lamp (both the old and the new) has 4 High intensity 9watt bulbs in it .. 9x4=36watts and all CND ambassadors are aware of that. However, as wattage does not cure gel the wattage is not of high importance .. what is important is the amount of UV output from the bulbs, the positioning of the bulbs in the lamp and the distance of the bulbs from the nails and where the nails in the lamp are placed in respect of the bulbs.

I sincerely hope that you find nothing aggressive to complain about here in this post. Have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with my black gelish. I'm guessing as you are not dry wiping foundation that must be causing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

With the darker/more opaque Gelish colours I found that curing for 3 mins each colour coat helps.

hth xx

Nail Harmony Gelish can be cured with any 36w UV lamp. This was stated by Nail Harmony themselves.I have both Shellac and Gelish and I use my CND UV white lamp. It does the trick. The only difference between the Brisa (silver cnd Lamp) and the white CND lamp is the design, 4 fingers and then thumb curing for the Brisa lamp and whole hand and pull out tray for feet in the new lush design one. Wattage is the same.

I found that when using the black gelish and some of the other very dark colors, some of it does transfer onto the top coat brush. Dry brushing the base coat helps the color to stay put and dry brushing the last color coat after curing does stops this. If you wipe the color coat before you have applied the top it off and cured, then yes this could come off. The top it off locks the color coat in.
If it all came off after applying and curing the top coat then I would suggest give the Nail Harmony team a ring and troubleshoot it with them.

HTH

This is what happens when you don't research a product before using it.

The dry brushing is not wiping off excess, when you place the foundation layer it comes out with a slight gloss look, when you dry brush it gives a more matt look, therefore giving you a slight griping base to apply you colour better..also helps with any shrinkage.
Like NailsinLondon said if you wipe after applying colour and no top coat, it will just wipe off.

Just wondered , is this the first time you have used this bottle of gelish? Or has this exact bottle been ok with other clients?
And did you get this bottle from the right place? I know how that sounds but I've been looking at that black gelish for a while ! ( I love black) but it's not been in stock in the uk site for ages.

After reading all of these responses I'd have to say this story:

I tried shellac on my 3 y o daughter. I didn't use a base or top coat cuz she's.... Uhhh... Only 3... And I never do with normal polish on kids. :) I only did the shellac bc I wanted her to b able to put shoes on. But when I went to wipe the sticky off, the color came off as well. (with no acetone) So, I tried putting the top coat on after the color and voilà! Perfect :D

I told that story to say this: the color can and will come off if the top coat is not applied. And black being the darkest of the darks, it rubbed off on your brush.

ALSO, I suggest using a "float the bead" method of polish application. Never let the brush drag the nail. Always make sure u have enuff (but not too much) polish on your brush.

Goodluck :D

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at
http://uniquenailsbykeri.blog.com

Find me Facebook!
Search: Unique.Nails by Keri
And click Like!

Hi
can somebody help me
I have bought the shellac base, color, and top coat but every time i use it
and cure it at the end i wipe it it just comes all off i am using a normal 36 watt lamp what i am doing wrong .Please help :cry:

You are using the wrong lamp and it is not curing your Shellac. You must have the CND UV Lamp or your Shellac will not cure.

Shame to spoil your work and waste your money hby not having the right equipment. Lord knows it has been said a thousand times that you must have the CND lamp. :hug:

Simple cure for your troubles ... Do as the manufacturer recommends and buy the right lamp. Read all the posts in this thread instead of just a part of it and you will understand more.

When you say a 'Normal' lamp, what do you mean exactly? Is it the cnd one that is specifically for shellac or a different one? :)

You are using the wrong lamp and it is not curing your Shellac. You must have the CND UV Lamp or your Shellac will not cure.

Shame to spoil your work and waste your money hby not having the right equipment. Lord knows it has been said a thousand times that you must have the CND lamp. :hug:

Simple cure for your troubles ... Do as the manufacturer recommends and buy the right lamp. Read all the posts in this thread instead of just a part of it and you will understand more.
Oops, sorry geeg, I moved the reply to a thread of its own while you were typing your reply :o

Here's the link to the post which is now a stand alone thread: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/128346-shellac-curing-problem-help-please.html

:D

Nail Harmony Gelish can be cured with any 36w UV lamp. This was stated by Nail Harmony themselves.I have both Shellac and Gelish and I use my CND UV white lamp. It does the trick. The only difference between the Brisa (silver cnd Lamp) and the white CND lamp is the design, 4 fingers and then thumb curing for the Brisa lamp and whole hand and pull out tray for feet in the new lush design one. Wattage is the same.

I found that when using the black gelish and some of the other very dark colors, some of it does transfer onto the top coat brush. Dry brushing the base coat helps the color to stay put and dry brushing the last color coat after curing does stops this. If you wipe the color coat before you have applied the top it off and cured, then yes this could come off. The top it off locks the color coat in.
If it all came off after applying and curing the top coat then I would suggest give the Nail Harmony team a ring and troubleshoot it with them.

HTH
Agree :green:

Hi there, I have used gelish and found the black and the orangey/red to be very hard work!! you have to make sure it is very thin which is harder with these colours and if in doubt give it an extra burst under the lamp otherwise it can either puckers or wipe off not sure why but hth :confused:

Either your bulbs aren't working, your lamp isn't properly suited to curing Gelish or you wiped the black before you put the top coat on. Dry wiping /brushing doesn't have anything to do with it. HTH's! :p

Latest posts

Back