Bluesky Shellac??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used this product on myself as an ex nail tech who only does own nails these days! Apart from it being a fake "shellac" what is actually wrong with it. I've had no problems with application, it lasts 2 wks and removal was fine. I've had CND shellac done twice in Salons and only lasted a wk before chips appeared! (I'm not saying its better than CND) just can't see the faults in it?
I have always been a CND L&P user but I don't believe in sticking to one brand I love ezflow products especially the glitter ranges.
Please tell me apart from it being a copy is there anything humanely wrong with it?
If you pay for shellac the you would expect to have "shellac" to start! Not a fake copy! If people want to use it fine, but don't pass it off for the legitimate product and charge shellac prices :)

If you go on the S2 site you will see next to the word Shellac are two tiny little letters that read TM

This means that this product (that includes its use etc) has been trade marked. If it is copied wholly or in part, that breaches the copyright laws, no matter what country you live in

If it was ok to call gel polishes Shellac then all the others would be doing it. The difference is, CND Shellac is not a soak off gel, it is a power polish, half polish, half gel.

Bluesky have deliberately used the brand name to sell their product because they are aware of the probably millions of pounds CND spend on promoting their product but not only that the development.

They have used a well known, trusted company with good ethics to sell their dodgy nasty smelling stuff

That's not true. Just because you have trademarked something in one country or according to the Madrid Protocol, it does not apply worldwide. CND would have to apply to have it trademarked in every country around the world. The word shellac is not trademarked. It is the wordmark CND C Color Shellac as my above post. I doubt they would be able to trademark the word shellac as the word shellac has been used for years for all sorts of shellac based products that are on the market already.

Hi all,

Just reading this and I have about 18 colours of CND Shellac and I did not do a course at CND, nor do I have a certificate.

Over here in Australia I just produced my Australian Business Number and the fact that I did an acrylic nail course and they gave me whatever I wanted.

Also, I qualified 21 years ago as a manicurist.

That's not true. Just because you have trademarked something in one country or according to the Madrid Protocol, it does not apply worldwide. CND would have to apply to have it trademarked in every country around the world. The word shellac is not trademarked. It is the wordmark CND C Color Shellac as my above post. I doubt they would be able to trademark the word shellac as the word shellac has been used for years for all sorts of shellac based products that are on the market already.

I totally agree. Shellac was used on wooden furniture long before it was used on nails.

That and the fact that shellac for nails is a totally different thing altogether and was developed for nails!

Any non cnd version is a gel polish, therefore in no way comparable to cnd shellac as it is a power polish.

I think also very important to note that Shellac is patent pending - that should really help with copycats...

I get so annoyed when people cant think of something for themselves..or ride off the back of something. Competition is good - downright 'passing off' is totally out of order

That's not true. I doubt they would be able to trademark the word shellac as the word shellac has been used for years for all sorts of shellac based products that are on the market already.

If that were true, how come Apple computers have successfully trademarked their brand, all over the world inc. China? After all, you could argue that the word 'apple' has been around since Adam & Eve :lol:

If you saw Bluesky Coca Cola for sale in your local shop, would you expect it to taste the same as the real Coca Cola and be happy to pay a premium price for it?

Fair enough, if you're happy to use it on yourself, but it is a criminal offence in the UK to misrepresent a product or service to consumers, and clearly this is what happened to the original poster.

As has been said before, the Bluesky brand is clearly intended to con unsuspecting users by tradeing on an established brand name and for techs to use it, advertise it as Shellac and charge the same price as reputable Shellac users is clearly deception. If she had advertised the service as Bluesky Shellac, she might get away with it.

I would recommend that the original poster contacts the 'nail technician' and threatens to report her to her local trading standards unless she returns her money in full. Although, I think she should report her anyway as has been said before, it's quite possible that the product is unsafe.

Whilst not a Shellac user personally (prefer Gelish), I don't know any decent brands of Gel that smell awful, and that would ring very loud warning bells to me. (MMA anyone???)

If that were true, how come Apple computers have successfully trademarked their brand, all over the world inc. China? After all, you could argue that the word 'apple' has been around since Adam & Eve :lol:

If you saw Bluesky Coca Cola for sale in your local shop, would you expect it to taste the same as the real Coca Cola and be happy to pay a premium price for it?

Fair enough, if you're happy to use it on yourself, but it is a criminal offence in the UK to misrepresent a product or service to consumers, and clearly this is what happened to the original poster.

As has been said before, the Bluesky brand is clearly intended to con unsuspecting users by tradeing on an established brand name and for techs to use it, advertise it as Shellac and charge the same price as reputable Shellac users is clearly deception. If she had advertised the service as Bluesky Shellac, she might get away with it.

I would recommend that the original poster contacts the 'nail technician' and threatens to report her to her local trading standards unless she returns her money in full. Although, I think she should report her anyway as has been said before, it's quite possible that the product is unsafe.

Whilst not a Shellac user personally (prefer Gelish), I don't know any decent brands of Gel that smell awful, and that would ring very loud warning bells to me. (MMA anyone???)

Am I missing something here.

I just googled "Bluesky gel polish" to see what us Geeks are discussing & it clearly has BLUESKY GELISH written on it, exactly the same shape bottle too..... nothing about Shellac / CND.

Souldn't it be Harmony that are getting upset about this not CND or their Shellac nail techs?????

If this is nothing to do with Harmony's Gelish then it has clearly been copied.

Am I missing something here.

I just googled "Bluesky gel polish" to see what us Geeks are discussing & it clearly has GELISH written next to it, even exactly the same shape bottle..... not Shellac.

Souldn't it be Harmony that are getting upset about this not CND?????

If this is nothing to do with Harmony's Gelish then it has clearly been copied.

I think they have a copy of both :)

I think they have a copy of both :)

Oh I see, thanks for letting me know.

Looking at the Gelish Bluesky bottle it looked very convincing, even to me who uses Gelish, so no wonder clients are getting confused.

I dont use CND Shellac (never have, dunno if I ever will) but I was able to simply register with them & can order CND Shellac online.

All I did was send to them my qualifications in Manicure, along with my Bio Sculpture Training Certificate (via an emailed pdf) and they set me up to automatically enable me to buy their Shellac. I can't buy all of their other CND stuff but definately can buy this :)

Im not sure I'd have the confidence to use their product without their training, & without training Im not even sure my insurance would cover me, so i've never bought from them....

In response to Bluesky. Clients are definately getting confused & are definately slating Shellac, when of course its not the official product causing all these problems !

The question is what do you do if you know salons are using Bluesky Shellac & are misleading customers ? Contact Trading Standards ???

In response to Bluesky. Clients are definately getting confused & are definately slating Shellac, when of course its not the official product causing all these problems !

The question is what do you do if you know salons are using Bluesky Shellac & are misleading customers ? Contact Trading Standards ???

It is only misleading the client if you are advertising or stating that you use CND but then apply Bluesky. If you just use the generic term 'shellac', then it could be any brand. This is where you would need to educate your client and state that you only use CND C Color Shellac and not any other brand on the market.

However, who's to say that Bluesky is an inferior product. They are claiming it is their companys shellac product. People assume it is an inferior product because it is made in China by a company who didn't think of it first. Of course a company is going to jump on the bandwagon and create a similar product if there is so much hype about it. If OPI, Lish, Biosculpture or any other company manufactured their own shellac product, would there be such a backlash against them that they are fakes too?

It's a difficult one a shellac is a resin created by the 'lac bug' apparently! Never knew that! I really don't know if CND could make shellac their own word when it's a product a beetle produces! Shame as it would have made things easier and stopped the copycats. :-(
Here's the link to the wiki page on shellac.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

It is only misleading the client if you are advertising or stating that you use CND but then apply Bluesky. If you just use the generic term 'shellac', then it could be any brand. This is where you would need to educate your client and state that you only use CND C Color Shellac and not any other brand on the market.

However, who's to say that Bluesky is an inferior product. They are claiming it is their companys shellac product. People assume it is an inferior product because it is made in China by a company who didn't think of it first. Of course a company is going to jump on the bandwagon and create a similar product if there is so much hype about it. If OPI, Lish, Biosculpture or any other company manufactured their own shellac product, would there be such a backlash against them that they are fakes too?

I think you are somewhat mistaken. It is "Shellac" that is trademarked as opposed to "shellac" (similar to apple vs. Apple). A "shellac product" is a misnomer since generic shellac is a finishing product, not a nail product. So if a salon were advertising Shellac and substituting Bluesky shellac as in this case, that would be a violation.

The reason that people think it is an inferior product is precisely because of the intent to deceive. There are a number of excellent Chinese gel polishes Chu Jie, JHK, ADOL, etc. The issue isn't that it is Chinese (although China does have a uniquely serious problem with counterfeiting and fakes), it is that it is a forgery. There are plenty of others copying the gel polish idea, but they do so as a separate brand, not as an attempt to confuse and deceive.

Do u honestly think CND would take a risk by NOT trade marking this all over the world??

If you click the links that others have posted, the word Shellac, on it's own along with other combinations HAS be trademarked by CND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back