Brisa Gel overlays lifting at free-edge HELP

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaXZ

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I've been using CND Brisa gel for a little while and am still having problems (which now that i'm in a salon is becoming a problem :cry:)

The overlays are lifting at the free-edge - i've made sure that i'm sealing it at each layer of gel but so far it doesn't seem to be helping. Can anyone help???

Thanks,

AmandaXZ

Are you sure that when you are finishing you are not filing off the "cap" on the free edge.
You may be capping the edges during application, but then when finishing you are a bit over zealous with the file and removing the cap.
A lot of people dont realise that they are doing it.
The other could be are you using tips? are you etching them with you file before applying product?
Without more info from yourself we cant really help as this is just speculation from what you have said.
HTHs
Jen xx

When you cap the free edge, do you make sure you don't file it away afterwards?? That could be the reason.

And when you have a client with this problem, then are you removing all the lifting before applying again???

And just run the brisa bond along the free edge to ensure proper bonding.

Hope this helped a bit, if it doesn't make sense I'm sure another brisa tech can help you.

LOL Jen and I wrote at the same time xxx

Last edited:
Are you using clear tips rather than white tips as the gel won't cure from the underside if you're using white tips?

If your client is filing her nails, she may be removing the capped free edge.

As gel tends to shrink back, I would do only two nails at a time and as the others have already said make sure to cap the ends...When you do your whites have a look at them before they go into the lamp and make sure the white still looks perfect and hasn't crawled back.... if it has just sweep your brush along the end of the free edge and cure

Make sure you take the gel completely down on the free edge, so you the tip or almost the natural nails, I have found this to be the best way to eliminate free edge lifting.

Thanks very much everyone, I'm going to try everything you've all mentioned and am going to pray that it works - Practice will make perfect (I hope :))
AmandaXZ

Are you using clear tips rather than white tips as the gel won't cure from the underside if you're using white tips?
Hi why does it not cure using white tips?

Hi why does it not cure using white tips?

BRISA will cure with white tips. Who ever has told you that is wrong. When I started using brisa gel gigi taught me, and I asked her about using white tips with Brisa and she told me yes you can use white tips with Brisa but you need to make sure that you etch the white tips first. Also filing off the capping on the free edge won't make a difference at all either. I personally think it's down to your P R E P
You need to remove all cuticle on the nail plate, then you need to remove surface shine. Then with a little bit of scrub-fresh really scrub and clean the nail plate. Apply your bonder cure for 10 sec then apply one thin coat of gel, fully cure then move on to all 3 zones.
Follow this and you won't have a problem.
I personally think you have either oil, dirt or cuticle in zones one and two you haven't removed.
HTHH :hug:

Hi Jack

You have made some really great points there but in regards to the white tips and gel, What you have to remember is Geeg is a true expert with years of experience with nails and she could use any product and make it work how she wanted it to. That comes with lots of knowledge and experience of not only application but also the "Science bit" and of trying things out, sometimes things work sometimes they don't and also understanding why something may work for one person but not for another.
So for beginners or unexperienced users of gel they may have problems when using white tips because the UV cannot penetrate the white tip effectively, especially if then applying their gel too thickly over the top.
Which then of course can lead to service breakdown.
So as CND Educators in class we always advise that you use clear tips to enable optimum UV penetration throughout the whole Nail enhancement. Then it takes the "worry" out of whether it has or hasnt cured fully and hopefully no service breakdown.

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Kelly x

BRISA will cure with white tips. Who ever has told you that is wrong. When I started using brisa gel gigi taught me, and I asked her about using white tips with Brisa and she told me yes you can use white tips with Brisa but you need to make sure that you etch the white tips first. Also filing off the capping on the free edge won't make a difference at all either. I personally think it's down to your P R E P
You need to remove all cuticle on the nail plate, then you need to remove surface shine. Then with a little bit of scrub-fresh really scrub and clean the nail plate. Apply your bonder cure for 10 sec then apply one thin coat of gel, fully cure then move on to all 3 zones.
Follow this and you won't have a problem.
I personally think you have either oil, dirt or cuticle in zones one and two you haven't removed.
HTHH :hug:

i use brisa and iam really interested with applying bonder then cure for 10 seconds, ive never heard about curing the bonder but keen to try. what happens when you cure the bonder?

The Brisa bond has been reformulated instead of it being an air drying bonding agent you now have cure it for 10 secs for even better adhesion to the natural nail. It forms whats call a covalent bond which the strongest bond you can get between two surfaces this allows the gel to permanently stick to the natural nail without lifting etc. :green:

The Brisa bond has been reformulated instead of it being an air drying bonding agent you now have cure it for 10 secs for even better adhesion to the natural nail. It forms whats call a covalent bond which the strongest bond you can get between two surfaces this allows the gel to permanently stick to the natural nail without lifting etc. :green:

Kelly, you are a true Education Ambassador, its 1am on a Sat morning and your still giving!

In your own words ............You Rock!

Get some sleep Kellyyyyyy!
Xxx

I also have been experiencing a problem with free edge chipping with Brisa ......... honestly I cap the free edge well. I use paint on white for this particular client as she has acrylic over clear tips ( opaque cool pink ) The first time she had it it was great, then came and had infill maintenance where I buffed off old product in filled acrylic filed cleansed with scrub fresh & re applied French using bond base paint on white & Brisa Gloss. Two days later she txt me to say 2 had chipped from the free edge
I had her come in and she had removed the brisa French from 5 fingers that had chipped, 2 on her right hand 3 on her left I prepped & buffed re applied, she has just txt me with a picture message showing 1 having chipped the corner of the free edge just the Brisa she swears she is not doing anything which would effect the finish. I have asked her to come back in today so I can sort it out for her ........... what steps should I take, anything you feel I am doing incorrectly to cause this ......... I cant see what as it had lasted the full 3 weeks last time with no wear at all, I may just use Shellac and see how that wears although I don't really want to start with Shellac over Acrylic I really want to keep this as a nat nail product.

I also have been experiencing a problem with free edge chipping with Brisa ......... honestly I cap the free edge well. I use paint on white for this particular client as she has acrylic over clear tips ( opaque cool pink ) The first time she had it it was great, then came and had infill maintenance where I buffed off old product in filled acrylic filed cleansed with scrub fresh & re applied French using bond base paint on white & Brisa Gloss. Two days later she txt me to say 2 had chipped from the free edge
I had her come in and she had removed the brisa French from 5 fingers that had chipped, 2 on her right hand 3 on her left I prepped & buffed re applied, she has just txt me with a picture message showing 1 having chipped the corner of the free edge just the Brisa she swears she is not doing anything which would effect the finish. I have asked her to come back in today so I can sort it out for her ........... what steps should I take, anything you feel I am doing incorrectly to cause this ......... I cant see what as it had lasted the full 3 weeks last time with no wear at all, I may just use Shellac and see how that wears although I don't really want to start with Shellac over Acrylic I really want to keep this as a nat nail product.
MMM Bit of a toughy sweets,
It could be a few things... Do your bulbs need changing?
You could be applying the paint on too thick as its going over opaque powders the light cant cure all the way through as it would on a sheer colour iykwim.
I wouldnt apply bond tbh if the surface is etched enough just do your base layer scrubbed in well then apply the paint on white.
Its a case of trial and error I think babe, no quick answer as like I said it could be a multitude of issues happening, Also I tend to think that maybe the client isnt being as honest, strange how it was fine before and now all of a sudden you are having issues, but then as I said it could be due to the fact that the fe is now opaque powder rather than clear tip iykwim.
Hope you get it sorted and this gives you someting to think about what it could be,
Sorry I couldnt help more babe.
Jen xxx

Ok Jen thanks hunnie, I will leave the bond out and try your suggestion tonight & let you know how it goes. The lamp is my new Shellac one and hasnt reached the timing to have the bulbs replaced yet. xxx

Latest posts

Back