Brisa top coat over Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasmum

Reaction score
I was wondering has anyone tried Brisa top coat over Shellac? I am really hard on my nails and mess them up with acetone when I do my pedicures. Would using Brisa top coat work to stop the Shellac from going dull and coming off?

I've been using it on clients with Shellac over enhancements. You have to file it off them, anyway (it doesn't soak off), and I want to conserve the Shellac top coat--everybody's out of it! It's not as glossy as the Shellac, but it seems to work. And it might get shinier once I get new bulbs for my Brisa light (which I'm still using because my CND light and the rest of my Shellac kit haven't come in yet!! Is there an impatient smiley somewhere? :D).

As Elyse says, you can use it but as I'm sure you realise, you will not then be able to soak off your Shellac and you will have to file off the Finishing gloss before soaking.

the whole world wants Shellac and we are all patiently waiting to get our next orders in ... worth waiting for though!!

the whole world wants Shellac and we are all patiently waiting to get our next orders in ... worth waiting for though!!

It IS worth the wait! My BFF who cannot keep ANYTHING (gel, L&P) on her nails is doing FAB with Shellac! MY nails are doing great, as well! I cannot wait to get more colors. I'm heading to the beauty supply this afternoon hoping they got a shipment in. :)

I was wondering has anyone tried Brisa top coat over Shellac? I am really hard on my nails and mess them up with acetone when I do my pedicures. Would using Brisa top coat work to stop the Shellac from going dull and coming off?

I haven't tried brisa top coat on shellac, but I have tried Brisa top coat on Calgel. It doesn't work unless you have very very strong natural nails otherwise it tends to crack.

It is to do with the fact that coloured gels have flexibility but yet Brisa doesn't because it is a hard gel. So when you have a coloured gel which moves underneath a hard gel, the hard gel will eventually crack.

If you are using Shellac over enhancements and then topping with Brisa top coat like Nailartist, then it should work, because the enhancement underneath is strong enough to hold the Brisa topcoat together.

But like I said, I personally havent tried Brisa on top of Shellac on natural nails, so please, try it and let us know..? :D

I've been wearing Shellac a while now and have found that the Shellac top coat doesn't dull at all! There have been many occasions where plenty of acetone has been all over my nails and nothing has happened.

i believe this is because the acetone needs to penetrate the 'tiny tunnels'. All that I have noticed is the extreme edge of my thumb and forefinger has worn away where I clean right down inside the side wall with my nail in the cotton pad.

Personally I would compromise the advantage of the easy removal of Shellac by a buff off top coat.

I have a new set of sculptured Brisa enhancements and I've used Brisa Gloss over the top of my Shellac, it's been on just under 24 hours.
The shine is extremely good but I think the shine from the Shellac top coat has a slight edge, it seems to bling on the nail more, if you know what I mean.

I'll update you with how they 'wear' (providing I don't break any by making the beds as I did yesterday lol) :D

Thank you for your replies. I too love the shine on the Shellac topcoat but my problem is that the edge on my index and middle finger tends to wear down fast as I dig my nails into the acetone soaked cotton when doing a pedicure. That's why I was wondering if brisa top coat would help as the acetone doesn't affect it. I wear brisa enhancements so the hardness of the topcoat is no problem.

That's one way .. another is to use plastic backed pads like the Hands Down pads from Graham. This protects those fingers from the wear of acetone.

I find wearing gloves when I do any removing protects my gels and stops my skin drying out too

I must say shellac has changed my life, lol, since this new product has been introduced I have kept my own enhancments on for over 3 weeks just rebalanced this evening with natural powder and tropix shellac. I find I have alsways picked when having P&W and if anyone else done them Ipicked at their work,, shellac allows me to wear colour and it does not chip or crack or smudge with my scrub fresh, I do wear gloves for my prep of rebalances although I found previously my polish always had scratches or smudges,,, I can not stress how much this has saved my poor nails,,, let alone how in love my clients are with shellac, they love it. xx

Latest posts

Back