Brother has stolen my business money

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine Beauty Newcastle

Reaction score
MY fault, all my stupid fault. Over £400 which was locked in a money box and hidden under my bed (duh). I was rushing round so much before going on holiday that I didnt get a chance to bank it. I've come home and my brother has found it and broken into it. Every penny gone. I don't have a great deal in the bank either.

What should I do? I feel like phoning the police but can't imgaine them taking it seriously, that my brother who I live with has took his sisters money. On the other hand, it wasn't my personal money, I havn't even been paying myself a wage. All the money I have earned over the last 6 months has went into buying better products, having more training etc. I'm an idiot.

you an idiot ? no!

him a theif ? yes !

what does he have to say for himself ?

Tell him you want it back ,
find out why he did this to,
if you have no luck settling it the familly way then YES call the police !
You will need a crime ref number for your insurence / taxis anyway !

What a git to do that!

I agree with two previous posts.....
To be honest if a family member did that to me...I would 'tell' them to pay it back by a certain time or your going to go to the police...!!!

He is a thief....END OF!!!

XX

He doesn't think its stealing since I'm his sister!!! His excuse is if he asked me for money I would say no, as if he has some sort of right to it! I'm so angry, I'm tryin to make something of myself while he doesn't work and gets benefits, comes out with more money than me, spends it all then steals what I've worked for!!! He's not in the least bit bothered, I've had some bored ramblings about him drawing money out to give to me which I know he wont bother to do - hes probably overdrawn anyway - and hes went back to bed!

He has been known to take money he finds and not give it back in the past, and I'm usually so careful with money just on the off chance that he'll go back to his old ways. Sods law that this would happen the one time I hide several hundred pounds in my room. I should have known. I got too preoccupied preparing for the first holiday I've had in ten years that I didn't bank the money.

I'm hoping my parents might be able to help me out with getting him to give it back... if nothing comes of it then yes, I'll call the police and see what happens.

You worked hard for that money, and didn't deserve it to be taken. It wasn't his, and he must have been searching for it to get it from under your bed. Give him a deadline, tell your parents, and if there's no joy, phone the police.

That's outrageous. No wonder you are furious:mad:. As everyone has said he has no right to help himself and there is no excuse for what is a blatant theft. I agree give him a deadline, speak to your parents and if all else fails call the police. He should be ashamed of himself.

He has been known to take money he finds and not give it back in the past

What a hard way to learn this lesson.
I wouldn't give him an inch. I'd be contacting the police right now.
I doubt you'll get it back though.
Once bitten, twice shy.

You say that he lives with you, if it were me, he'd be out on his ear so fast his head would spin, no question and he'd never again get the opportunity to steal from me, just dont leave yourself open to it, especially if he has done this in the past aswell, its not on.:irked:

Last edited:
Is your brother allowed in your room without your permission...?? If not it could be classed as a 'burglary'...or...theft in a dwelling!!!

I would ring the police or better still pay them a visit...there's no way I would let the 'sh*t get away with it...afterall you have worked hard for that money why he sits on his butt and goes stealing when he fancies a few quid!!

xx

Oh my god i cant believe that,DO NOT blame this on yourself. If i left that money out on the bed with the door open and any member of my family in the house i know 100% it would not be touched,i cant believe he thinks its no big deal.

Sorry i am not much help i am actually :eek: shocked!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocke d that you feel it is somehow your fault for not hiding it better!!

What do your parents say? I would have beaten him to kingdom come. I hate theives.

I would take something that he holds dear, and hold it to ransom till he pays you back, or sell it to get your money back. He must have an ipod or stereo or something.

I am shocke d that you feel it is somehow your fault for not hiding it better!!

What do your parents say? I would have beaten him to kingdom come. I hate theives.

I would take something that he holds dear, and hold it to ransom till he pays you back, or sell it to get your money back. He must have an ipod or stereo or something.

I am with Persianista on this.

Speak to your parents before you do anything, I think they will have more chance of getting him to pay you back.
Going to the police won't get you your money back and may just cause a huge family upset, he'll end up paying a fine, and you will still be out of pocket!!!

Going to the police won't get you your money back and may just cause a huge family upset, he'll end up paying a fine, and you will still be out of pocket!!!

Surely the fact that there is a thief in the family is cause for a huge family upset, not the fact that the OP has gone to the police about it!

Whichever way you look at it, this is a vile situation, caused totally by the brother. I cannot really see a way where there is an outcome where everyone is happy.

Surely the fact that there is a thief in the family is cause for a huge family upset, not the fact that the OP has gone to the police about it!

Lynne...I am usually the first person to say get the police, but trust me in some families this can just cause more problems. ;)
Only Magick will know what is best for her, which is why I have said to speak to her parents first,to get their support.
I really feel for her and would love to kick her brothers backside (and the rest:eek:) for all this upset he has caused her.

If mommy and daddy don't want to take responsibility for THEIR son and pay her the money owed to her, then DEFINATELY call the police.
What will he do next that they might turn a blind eye to?

Why should she suffer for his criminal behaviour?
And really? it's rather sad that you have to lock up money in your home.
Speaks volumes, really.
Insurance won't do anything if a police report isn't filed anyway...

I understand it's family and tricky.
But I guess I'm a hard nut in some ways. When it comes to stuff like this, I throw the book at'em.

thats awful for you.
You'll have to discuss this with your parents and see if you can get any of his benefits diverted to you.

I am sorry this has happened to you, it's truly awful, but why do you think he feels he has some sort of right to money that YOU have earned ??

Unfortunately I do know how you feel. I had a similar problem a few years ago when I was living in the house with my sister.

Also unfortunately these things never often get resolved through the parents as its often them not seeing some problems there that has led to such a situation. Im not bashing your folks, but I don't think they will necessarily be able to be all the strength you need.

I agree with persianista in that forcing him to pay it back via taking of something valuable may be a way to go, but that only tends to work if he actually admits that it was him that did it. Threatening police action couldnt hurt either.

Always lessons to be learned:

1) Put your money in the bank. Open a special account just for your work money at a completely new bank if you need to. You can open accounts online these days and dont even need to go into a branch sometimes.

2) Seriously think about getting a place of your own when you can afford to do so. Yes it is your brother who should be moving out, but whether that is going to happen really remains to be seen and to be honest we shouldnt live our lives based on what someone else might or might not be made to do.

Make sure that you do tell your parents how angry you are about it and that it is really jepardizing your future. Remember it is you that you need to think about, not about whether you are going to hurt anybodys feelings.

You worked hard for that money and deserve to have it back.

Latest posts

Back