California Flare And Stiletto (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the colours and the designs, but the shape isnt my cup of tea.

well done for sharing:hug:

In closing I have to admit, I have seen other nails/art that the original poster had done and her work is outstanding. She does things that no one else has the balls to try and I applaud her for stepping out of the so-called "norm".

www.luciasalon.com

Thanx Lucia! I am suprised to see that this thread lives on. Here is my version of the flare nail.

Nanny

DSCN9511.jpg

Well if the Americans are leading the world around the "S" bend financially, they may as well ruin the Nail Industry with this look as well :lol:

I don't know about all Americans or about ruining the nail industry but this look is what I do and yes it has proven very profitable! I realize it's not for everybody but ultimately it is my clients who I am out to please. If somebody in my community does not like the flare then they can go to somebody else. I have enough clients who support me and this look. Fact is I think the natural look is old and outdated but it doesn't stop me from doing them. If that's what the clients wants, that's what the client get's!

Nanny

Whether in the UK or the USA, your work is always inspiring!!

~Candy~

I am 100% a fan of your work and Flares. Always a pleasure to see your work.
By the way, How did you make the silver swirl?
Do you have a myspace or facebook page that showcases all your work?

Last edited:
I am 100% a fan of your work and Flares. Always a pleasure to see your work.
By the way, How did you make the silver swirl?
Do you have a myspace or facebook page that showcases all your work?

Thank you! Believe or not I use a safety pin that I bent to get the design you see. I use it as an impression then I fill it with glitter. I don't use either of those sites to show my work. Maybe one day I'll set one up.

Nanny

Thanx Lucia! I am suprised to see that this thread lives on. Here is my version of the flare nail.

Nanny

DSCN9511.jpg

those poor nailbeds look punished ...... even through the acrylic

those poor nailbeds look punished ...... even through the acrylic

punished? as long as my client is happy, that's all that matters! there is no such thing as a perfect nail.

Nanny
Posted via Mobile Device

punished? as long as my client is happy, that's all that matters! there is no such thing as a perfect nail.

Nanny
Posted via Mobile Device
What Nailzoo's referring to (I believe) is the condition of the nails beneath the L+P, the rings of fire look angry, as if they've been mega over-filed.

Nanny
Posted via Mobile Device

He means that they look 'red raw'... like they have been severley 'filed' before product application (just trying to clarify - Carl is from Ozz but I knew what he meant).

I guess most clients see themselves as having a 'beauty' treatment when have a set of nails on so I know most clients wouldn't want to experience pain during a full-set... although some see it as the norm because they have never experienced anything else! :lol: I know having a pain free experience would make most clients happy and I also feel it is what they deserve when paying for a treatment.

If your clients are happy thats brilliant; not sure what you mean about 'no such thing as a perfect nail'... I would disagree with that statement although maybe it's more difficult to have perfect 'salon' nails due to time constraints!

Nanny

DSCN9511.jpg

The nails as Carl says look damaged.
But WHY NOT extend the nail with a custom blend or colour before you even think about the nail SHAPE??:!:
OK so you think these look like a fab trend....but they look so out of proportion even before you actually START on the nail shape.
And they look a little on the thick side too tbh.
And use 2 pots of monomer and maybe 2 brushes. 1 for the nail bed colour and 1 for the glitter as there is glitter showing on the "natural" colour.
BUT at the end of all that which is HONEST critique btw....
Is it trendy to wear your rings halfway up your fingers in your part of the world???:confused:

And I forgot to add...
IF these nails are as popular in the US as is said.. then why NOT extend the nailbed?
Why not add your own shapes to the "shovel" look....ie ok if you like it keep them in the shape but cut out or file other shapes in the FE if only on one nail.
This could add a lot of clients for you if this is indeed the case...you could be different from the other techs nearby??
I'm trying to add something positive here...you know I detest them but surely they can be made to look a little better and earn you more money??

I'll just get my coat......:)

You can give the poster credit for posting in such a critical group of people. but you are also ruining the reading of this thread for the other million techs that log on to get inspiration and see what is happening on the other side of the world. if you have to ask why the person is wearing their rings half way up their fingers then you have no conception as to any style that is here in the usa, let alone know what type of nail design is in fashion. And if you dont have a clue then whats the reason you have to make your assumption this style is wrong or not in fashion. This is my honest opinion....at this point i do not see why this thread is still going. People just have cup of tea and chill.

Is it Fashion to have quite obvious trauma to the nail beds over there too then ??
Because I and many others can see exactly that !

I have said so before politely and my comments were brushed off I felt..

Nail style is one thing, its a personal and individual choice
...but as professionals within the nail industry it is our duty to ensure the health of the natural nail plate...
These nail plates (and others I have seen from the same poster ) do not look healthy to me.

I can see quite obvious file marks...the nails look extremely delicate...
This concerns me more than the shape ...but I won't lose sleep over it I am sure...

I am not saying this in a rude manner, just saying what I see,
It seems a lot of things we say if not in agreement with some others, is automatically taken as rude...
That is not the case.

You can give the poster credit for posting in such a critical group of people. but you are also ruining the reading of this thread for the other million techs that log on to get inspiration and see what is happening on the other side of the world. if you have to ask why the person is wearing their rings half way up their fingers then you have no conception as to any style that is here in the usa, let alone know what type of nail design is in fashion. And if you dont have a clue then whats the reason you have to make your assumption this style is wrong or not in fashion. This is my honest opinion....at this point i do not see why this thread is still going. People just have cup of tea and chill.

Well at least we don't kiss a*** and are honest. We try to be tactfully honest but it is usually read wrong by the reader because of lingo differences.
If rings of fire and a less than pleasing to the eye and structure nailshape are in fashion, I'm glad I'm not a fashion follower.

Last edited:
personnally i think they look horrid - not nice at all - but each to there own

:hug:

I'm with most that have commented on this thread, and agree that the nails do indeed look punished, unbalanced etc..

The art is fab and fun.

BUT....

I also think that if this were to become a trend (the flare), I'd want to see more consistency and nails that weren't as thick as shovels.
I don't care for almonds or stilettoes BUT when they are done WELL, and are balanced and uniform and consistent, they are pleasing to the eye.

The nails above simply are NOT pleasing to the eye.

Ok, I'm not perfect. I have a long way to go before I'm equal to many of the talented techs on this forum, but I do have eyes in my head and I can tell when someone's nails have been damaged, when there's a nick from a nail file on the side of a finger, and when the shape is shoddy and without "flow".

And we have to remember: critique was invited.
We don't always like what we hear, but if we ask to hear it.. no one to blame but ourselves.

ps:
I looked at one nail, next to the other, and so on.... the flares don't "Match". The shape from one nail to the other isn't matching.
In fact, one looks like it's tilting drunkenly to one side.

As I said, if they were flowing and the shape was consistent....I could see 'maybe' it catching on.

BUT I honestly think this trend started because a junior tech or self taught tech was doing "egyptian' hats because he/she didn't know any better, and next you knew.... we had the flare...

i love your designs! you are very creative, but as mentioned above the proportion of the tip to the nail bed isnt balanced and for the square nails, it fans out too much, you could straighten the side walls more to make the nails look neater and longer.

Latest posts

Back