Can ONE company's product be better than all others?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, there is no product on the market that is better than all others.

What works for one does not always work for another.

I am passionate about my skincare range and it gets me amazing results but I could never say that it is better than all other ranges, in my opinion it is better for me than any other that I have tried.

However my opinion could never be proven as fact.

I think what Geeg was trying to say is that any technician worth their salt is not going to use an inferior brand. They are going to use a brand they think is the best, whatever that brand may be.
We all use different brands for different things. Ask anyone what their favourite spray tan solution is and you'll get loads of different replies. It doesn't mean that one is worse than the other. If you want to give your customers a great servive and ensure that they come back to you then you need to use something that works for you and a product that you believe is the best.
Some companies advertise more than other companies and so some brands could still be good but people haven't heard of them. They could be loads better but clients like brands that they have heard of and are reluctant to try new ones.
Take GHD straighteners. Everyone has heard of them and a lot of people think they are best. I use a different brand of straighteners in my salon and everyone comments on how good they are but they wouldn't buy them as they are not overly advertised. They buy them once they realise how good they are though!
No one brand is better than another apart from Cadbury's!

I beg to differ: simple logic does not arrive at the implication that you do, nor by does it do so by extension. There is a flaw in that logic, because YOU were implying and not she. Try taking words at face value as opposed to adding hiddent meanings or messages to them. We can twist words any direction we like, to have them mean what we want/think them to mean.

I did not understand Geeg the way that you did, and her car analogy made perfect sense. While she may feel that CND is the best for her, she may also feel that EZ Flow is best for Antony and the way that he works AND as she pointed out: there will ALWAYS be cream rising to the top.

:!:

I think he is talking about those who are familiar with members and their product preferences. He is stating that he is familiar with geeg's preference for CND and is saying that he does not need simple logic to see that she was speaking about HER preference.

HE wasn't implying anything - he was showing where he came to that conclusion by saying that he's seen it stated here on the forums. He was taking everything at face value. And what "hidden meanings" did he add? He hid nothing, as far as I can tell! What was he twisting around? You are obviously on one side and not the other, so of course you will interpret his words differently than I do or anyone else. There are those that will follow your side and those (who may not want to admit) who will follow Martin Duffy's and my opinions.

And I actually think that talking about what products are one of the best and making analogies to cars is just not right. What about the new techs who come on here and they've painstakingly researched what product they want to use and it's - oh my god - not CND. I have read enough posts on here to see that CND is practically shoved down everyone's throats and as much as you deny it, it is many times done harshly. Then if anyone debates it, they are accused of not accepting "constructive criticism." The debates are totally turned around - against the one who disagrees with the CND-ers here and they are then told "they are making themselves look bad."

Stop talking about cream rising to the top and let's empower everyone NO MATTER WHAT PRODUCT WE USE. We can ALL be the cream rising to the top even if we use an unknown brand of L&P or gel!

What works for one does not always work for another.

What works best for one can work best for everyone if they know how to use it and are willing to learn. It is the knowing how that is important. Not all products require the same techniques. Sometimes changes have to be made and if one is unwilling to do so then it can be their loss.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one then.

I will use skincare as I am more comfortable there. And I will use a prescribed rather than professional product

I use an emollient for my children for their excema/dry skin.

Very easy to use no special instructions or training required.

my children no longer have skin problems, neither does my friend who suffered severely from excema.

However my nephew has not responded as well to the use of this cream and once he switched to another emollient his skin cleared up.

Each one of us is an individual and we all have different makeups which mean that some products are better suited to them as individuals therefore no product can be factually proven as better for everyone.

Last edited:
I think he is talking about those who are familiar with members and their product preferences. He is stating that he is familiar with geeg's preference for CND and is saying that he does not need simple logic to see that she was speaking about HER preference.

HE wasn't implying anything - he was showing where he came to that conclusion by saying that he's seen it stated here on the forums. He was taking everything at face value. And what "hidden meanings" did he add? He hid nothing, as far as I can tell! What was he twisting around? You are obviously on one side and not the other, so of course you will interpret his words differently than I do or anyone else. There are those that will follow your side and those (who may not want to admit) who will follow Martin Duffy's and my opinions.

And I actually think that talking about what products are one of the best and making analogies to cars is just not right. What about the new techs who come on here and they've painstakingly researched what product they want to use and it's - oh my god - not CND. I have read enough posts on here to see that CND is practically shoved down everyone's throats and as much as you deny it, it is many times done harshly. Then if anyone debates it, they are accused of not accepting "constructive criticism." The debates are totally turned around - against the one who disagrees with the CND-ers here and they are then told "they are making themselves look bad."

Stop talking about cream rising to the top and let's empower everyone NO MATTER WHAT PRODUCT WE USE. We can ALL be the cream rising to the top even if we use an unknown brand of L&P or gel!

It is obviously "let's get at Gigi Day" today and anyone else who happens to agree with her opinion. :lol:

It is also getting really silly now too with the "taking sides" thing. Victoria doesn't even use CND but she's not allowed to voice her opinion because God forbid it might agree with Gigi's.

For what it is worth I made a point of not mentioning any brands at all and DID make the point that any great (or even good) nail tech will want to use good products, if not the best products, they can get. I did not mention which product, and what I use or consider to be the best is beside the point. I made a general comment
if YOU think you are a great technician, then there is no way you will stay using a product that can be out performed by another product
and what I use or think personally should not come into it.

Am I not allowed to speak because I use CND? Am I not allowed an opinion because I use CND? Is it only non CND users now who are allowed to voice an opinion? There certainly seem to be allot of chips on allot of shoulders. I am a nail technician. I use CND. What someone else uses is their choice and I have bazillions of friends in this industry who use other stuff OK? Do I think they are inferior techs? No. Now for God's sake give it a rest and read my post again without the chips. Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

Bravo! Well said! :green:

Can this be possible? I've used a lot of products and have chosen what works for me (Young Nails!) after years of testing and trying out. I've been in so many conversations where nail techs will say their product is just flat out better than any other company's product.

Imagine what that claim would mean - one company out of every single nail product manufacturer out there. I mean, none of you would claim that, right? It's a matter of opinion as to what company's products you consider to be above par. And opinions are neither right nor wrong.

Just curious if you've encountered comments like that?

PS - Hi, my name is Ariella and I'm extremely enthused about doing nails, the industry and to constantly learn.
i would say yes i trained with a not very well known brand and nearly threw my dream to be a nail tech away until i reserched what was the best company to use (what company had been winning most awards etc) and made my choice so glad i did i am persuing my dream xxx

It is obviously "let's get at Gigi Day" today

=> gives a friendly pat on the shoulder...

For me, one company's product can certainly be better than all the others and that is the one I currently use. However, I use different company's products for different systems.

The judge for me as to which products are the best are my customers. If they are happy, I am happy.

With regard to competitions, I don't always use the same criteria in judging the product which I think best for that, ie competition nails don't need to have the same longevity as salon nails.

This is an every changing industry and I always try and keep up to date with what other companies have to offer via this site and trade shows, etc.

Gigi is known to hold CND as THE best and that is fine by me (I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about it). Just the same way Ant holds Ezflow as THE best. I respect both and I will always explore products endorsed by the icons of our industry but I let my clients be the judge.

I think what Geeg was trying to say is that any technician worth their salt is not going to use an inferior brand. They are going to use a brand they think is the best, whatever that brand may be.
We all use different brands for different things. Ask anyone what their favourite spray tan solution is and you'll get loads of different replies. It doesn't mean that one is worse than the other. If you want to give your customers a great servive and ensure that they come back to you then you need to use something that works for you and a product that you believe is the best.
Some companies advertise more than other companies and so some brands could still be good but people haven't heard of them. They could be loads better but clients like brands that they have heard of and are reluctant to try new ones.
Take GHD straighteners. Everyone has heard of them and a lot of people think they are best. I use a different brand of straighteners in my salon and everyone comments on how good they are but they wouldn't buy them as they are not overly advertised. They buy them once they realise how good they are though!
No one brand is better than another apart from Cadbury's!

My goodness, someone gets it!! Hurrah. No chip on your shoulder then!! lol

Are you absolutely sure about Cadbury's?? You have made me feel quite inferior that I prefer Lindt!! Are you calling me a crap nail technician because I prefer Lindt chocolate then? Does that make me and Lindt both inferior because we prefer it to Cadbury's?

then by simple logic it implies that anyone who has chosen to like a different brand of chocolate that you don't consider to be the best can't be a great technician or know anything about chocolate.

then by extension it implies anyone liking anything other than Cadbury's product cannot be a great technician or know anythng about chocolate.

Correct me if there is a flaw in that logic, but I can't see what else your comment could possibly mean, unless you are now saying that there are other brands of chocolate that are just as good?

Maybe now all can see how rediculous this has all become. I have to wonder why the original thread was even started uless of course it was just to pick on someone who had an opinion.

Absolutely. As long as you believe that your product is the best and you are giving your clients the best then that's fine. It's always nice to try other products though when new ones come out just to see if anything is better.
First day of the school holidays today. Is it the same everywhere? Maybe that's why people are a little frazzled :lol:

Lol Angelina! I think that may be the case!! hee hee. We did an interesting assignment for college, and it was to research into all the different brands finding out how they work, what they look like, media press about them...the list goes on! And I found it great, I know brands that I wouldnt even bother touching, and other brands which I wouldnt mind giving a go. I dont care naming brands...I am being trained with CND at college and I love it. I will carry on using this system, and hope to get better and better with their products (after maybe going on a course with them to help me along!lol) And the only other brand I would think about trying is EZflow. Especially as I got told at college you can use these products with CND also (I know you cant mix brands but please dont start slating me if thats not the case, its just what I was told at college!Like you can use their powders with CND liquid etc..) xx

This is an interesting thread. The last months, after winning in London, I have been bombarded (?) with companies who wants me to use THEIR products. They all claim to be THE BEST. I have a whole shelf with different gels and acrylic systems, some got for free and some I have bought out of curiousity (SP???). For me the best product is the product which can give me all I need in the salon AND for competition. As Christine said, competition-nails are not the same as salon-nails. Nobody cares if the competition-nail lifts after some days... However I want THE product so I can practice at all my clients.

With gel I know what to look for, with l/p I am clue-less... :eek: I am a gel-only tech who has to learn l/p for competition... How on EARTH am I going to pick MY product? I have played around with all the l/p I have gotten, but it all seems the same to me. It smells bad...:) I know, I know, there ARE differences, but for a beginner, it's nearly impossible to know what to look for... So yes, I totally understand that people are confused.

And yes, I think what suits me, not automatically suits somebody else. That's why it's frustrating.

[
Thereby, he assumed that she was even thinking of it, and she may very well have not been. She may well have been generalizing. Therfor, he did imply.

HE wasn't implying anything - he was showing where he came to that conclusion by saying that he's seen it stated here on the forums.
See above. Also, you can not base her answer by taking statements from other threads. That is NOT taking her words at face value. That IS adding to them from other sources which may or may not be relevant to this discussion.

He was taking everything at face value.
No, elsewise her chosen brand would not have been brought up.
Simple example: she could have been referring to poor crap found on ebay or who knows where... OR EVEN MMA.... and that is most definately an INFERIOR product. You don't know. He doesn't know. Do you both presume to know what's in her mind?

And what "hidden meanings" did he add?
He added his presumption that
Put simply, if you say CND is the best performing product & that a great technician would in no way choose anything less, then by extension it implies anyone using anything but that product cannot be a great technician.
She never said that. She never once implied anything of the sort. We are intelligent adults. We should all be well aware that we have our own personal preferences and opinions. Because I tell you that cover Fx is the best makeup, does that mean I infer you use crap on your face and that you don't take care of your face? NO! it doesn't. It simply means that I "think", as in "My opinion" is that it's the best.

He hid nothing, as far as I can tell! What was he twisting around?
see above

You are obviously on one side and not the other, so of course you will interpret his words differently than I do or anyone else. There are those that will follow your side and those (who may not want to admit) who will follow Martin Duffy's and my opinions.
What side am I purported to be on? Who's making assumptions now? I did never chose a side. I differed with a viewpoint. Had nothing to do with product, nor persons. Simply the statements I was reading.
I use EZ Flow/France Lecuyer/Nailite. and YET I take absolutely NO OFFENSE to her words.
Why must there be sides? If you perceive there to be sides, then you drew the lines yourself.
This is a forum where people share opinons and GENERALLY agree to disagree amicably and RESPECT that others may have different opinions.

And I actually think that talking about what products are one of the best and making analogies to cars is just not right. What about the new techs who come on here and they've painstakingly researched what product they want to use and it's - oh my god - not CND. I have read enough posts on here to see that CND is practically shoved down everyone's throats and as much as you deny it, it is many times done harshly.
Bull****. and if that was censored, then read the stars as " BULL POOP"
Sorry for myplain english, but that's just ****E. You see it as so, simply because there are more CND users than otherwise. It's a case of numbers giving a false impression. Harshly? Point it out where someone has done as you claim. I would like to see this.

Then if anyone debates it, they are accused of not accepting "constructive criticism." The debates are totally turned around - against the one who disagrees with the CND-ers here and they are then told "they are making themselves look bad."
see above

Sorry, can't do that BECAUSE there ARE ****E products out there. They DO exist. There are crap cars, crap peanut butter, crap crap crap everywhere. To claim otherwise makes absolutely NO SENSE.
Can you honestly tell me that there is nothing in your life where you don't prefer one brand over another because of the difference in performance/results? If you do, then you're full of it.
And for the record, this site DOES empower everyone.... and everyone, no matter their brand of choice, gets support from others.
And "logic dictates" that if the person giving the advice uses a particular brand, then YES their answer might involve mentioning it. It by no means whatsoever infers the other brand is inferior, it simply means that the one giving the advice is familiar with their own brand/experience. Why would they advise one that are not familiar with? How on earth could that possibly make sense?

Quite frankly, if someone is that defensive about their product..... and looking for insult where there is none, and borrowing trouble....
I am inclined to think (oh no, here comes an opinion, someone might put words in my mouth) that they lack confidence in their own products.

PS: for the record, I'm well known for arguing against brand snobbery and I champion the underdog of brands and you only have to search my thread history to see that (hey, if it gets the job done...) BUT I draw the line at poor performance, NO MATTER what the label is.

Last edited:
To return to the original post, I cannot really judge fairly because I have only tried 2 L&P brands and 2 gel brands.

I can say however that to me a good brand is one that you can confidently use anything that they sell with absolute confidence in its performance.

My brand does just that right across the board - L&P, Gel, manicure, pedicure, polishes etc. To me that makes it the best as I have yet to hear of another brand that delivers in that way.

Here endeth my two cents worth:)

Hi,
AriellaGray, I noticed you are new like me, and you use Young Nails, like me!! I love YN so much that I have to say that YN is also one of the top companies. I really can say that YN really does have longevity for my clients – It outlasts any product out there.

Hi,
AriellaGray, I noticed you are new like me, and you use Young Nails, like me!! I love YN so much that I have to say that YN is also one of the top companies. I really can say that YN really does have longevity for my clients – It outlasts any product out there.

Welcome aboard Stilts! And I do mean that sincerely :hug:

But just for the sake of argument, and this is by no means is pointed at you......but for the benefit of others....

Shall I presume that Stilts is implying that everything else is inferior crap in comparison and that it indeed DOES for an undoubtable fact 100000% of the time "outlast any product out there"?

No, I won't presume.
I'll simply understand that she believes in her products, is satisfied with them and by no means is she inferring, nor implying that I'm an inferior tech for using a product line differing from her own.

I think i will spend an hour with my children to get away from the squabbling on here! :eek:
Maybe get their tea.Mmmmm beans on toast i think.
Must be heinz though :rolleyes:

I think i will spend an hour with my children to get away from the squabbling on here! :eek:
Maybe get their tea.Mmmmm beans on toast i think.
Must be heinz though :rolleyes:
is Heinz really the best thou? i have tried many brands and found tescos to work for me best personally// just a nice amount of juice and makes my toast nice and soggy...and much cheaper than the alleged "best"
as for a product claiming to be the best... 8 out of 10 cats personally said they prefered Whiskas but my Gizmo wont touch it !!!

Latest posts

Back