Can you recommend a good brand???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckih84

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone recommend some good acrylic products to use? have you heard of Milennium nals? are there products any good to work with??
i have been practising with some stuff that someone gave to me and its really not that good, i have read an article on here saying that this is a bad idea and start with what you intend to work with. this is what i want to do so i want something reasonable but good, any suggestions???

thank you in advance

Becki xx

I think you'll find that there are lots of good systems available and it's often down to personal preference. It's a good idea to try sample kits of the different ones to see how you feel about each.

Who are you training with and what products do they use? This may be a good starting point... just a suggestion. :)

I think you'll find that there are lots of good systems available and it's often down to personal preference. It's a good idea to try sample kits of the different ones to see how you feel about each.

Who are you training with and what products do they use? This may be a good starting point... just a suggestion. :)

I agree with Gilly, i think the best thing to do is pick the brand you want to use and do their training.There are many great brands of L&p, and everyone has their own preference, i would have a look at CND, Ezflow, NSI, Entity and Young Nails etc to name just a few.
If you can i would go to one of the Beauty shows and get a demo nail done at each of the brands stands that your interested in, so you can compare for yourself.hths

Haze x

I agree with Gilly, i think the best thing to do is pick the brand you want to use and do their training.There are many great brands of L&p, and everyone has their own preference, i would have a look at CND, Ezflow, NSI, Entity and Young Nails etc to name just a few.
If you can i would go to one of the Beauty shows and get a demo nail done at each of the brands stands that your interested in, so you can compare for yourself.hths

Haze x

I totally agree with Haze here.

The only thing I would add is that the top companys Haze has quotes will recommend that you take a conversion course which from experience is the best way to go. As this way you will be shown the correct use and application.

But I still agree it is a good Idea to try samples to help you make your choice.
:hug:

Becki,
I use CND Retention+, but am looking at switching to YN. I've had some lifting issues with CND and after reading more into the product, found out that there is a application method (place & press) to applying the acrylic to decrease lifting. Also, CND is mixture ratio sensitive, where as YN is not (I'm totally feelin' that :)).
In school, we used OPI, but I was not impressed at all! I've also tried EZflow, but was not sold on it either. Like everyone has said before, request some trial sizes from the top brands and test them out. You'll find your right fit...

Becki,
I use CND Retention+, but am looking at switching to YN. I've had some lifting issues with CND and after reading more into the product, found out that there is a application method (place & press) to applying the acrylic to decrease lifting. Also, CND is mixture ratio sensitive, where as YN is not (I'm totally feelin' that :)).
In school, we used OPI, but I was not impressed at all! I've also tried EZflow, but was not sold on it either. Like everyone has said before, request some trial sizes from the top brands and test them out. You'll find your right fit...

Hi Lorena

I am so glad you like the YN products I think they are awesome too:hug:

Becki,

I think you are looking to a product to solve the problems you have because you are very new to nails. It Won't happen.

EVERY product works at it's own mix ratio and if you think that is not true then you have been misled by someone..

Getting the right mix with CND has go to be one of the easiest things to do and if you are finding it difficult then you need to spend a little 1 on 1 time with a CND educator and get it right. That problem won't be different with any other product no matter what anyone tells you.

What a shame to start out with the best and then to blame your problems on the product!!

Sorry, but there are just too many nail technicians doing great business with CND for anything to be the fault of the product. There are no faults with the product and lifting issues are down to what you are doing and you should face that fact head on instead of thinking that another product change will solve the problems you have because you are so new to nails.

OPI is another perfectly good brand and along with Creative is one of the largest and most usedand respected nail products in the world and yet you, with no experience, were not impressed with it??? Sorry but your lack of experience tells me that you are no judge of what is good or bad and the very fact that you seem to have tried several top brands and don't 'get on' with them really tells the whole story, which is that you are wanting something to do the job for you instead of doing the right job yourself. good luck.

Hi just wanted to add that i was lucky enough to be given some CND retention + and everthing that goes with it ( the nail tech has given up on nails !) i am not cnd trained but after using it I WILL BE ! it is fab and in my opinion the best you can get !
I have had NO lifting no problems with ratio ( i had to adjust a little !) and to quote Gigi it buffs like butter !
I will say keep up with cnd and get some one on one if your still having problems xx

Becki,

Can I suggest that before you go to the extremes of changing over from one brand to another - you actually must check out your own training & nail prep& application procedures. If you are having a problem with lifting - you need to address that, no one nail brand will eliminate your lift problems, they are something you must look at in your own work.
You are very newly qualified, so my guess is you are still very inexperienced and need to perfect your prep & application - CND Retention+ is one of the very best acrylic products in the world today. I use both CND & EzFlow products - very successfully, but I have 5 years experience in working with acrylic.
Please don't blame the products for what is more likely to be YOUR inexperience. We all have had lifting problems in the beginning.
I notice on your website that you say that lifting is due to many reasons, but not the skill, or lack of it, that the technician has.
If you would like some advice, meant in a friendly way, as is this reply, I would remove that information from your site, as it is basically saying to your prospective clients that they will get lifting, no matter what! Also, I would suggest that you do not say that everyone is not suited to wearing acrylic, that again IMO is down to the skills of the professional nail technician doing a great job, with no problems. Also, all nails can be enhanced, regardless of shape etc. And oily nails do not make it impossible for people to wear acrylics, just a more thorough prep routine is needed.

Perhaps you may find going on a 1 to 1 with your CND educator to help sort out your lifting issues would be beneficial. We all need a refresher from time to time.:hug:

I think you are looking to a product to solve the problems you have because you are very new to nails. It Won't happen.

EVERY product works at it's own mix ratio and if you think that is not true then you have been misled by someone..

Getting the right mix with CND has go to be one of the easiest things to do and if you are finding it difficult then you need to spend a little 1 on 1 time with a CND educator and get it right. That problem won't be different with any other product no matter what anyone tells you.

What a shame to start out with the best and then to blame your problems on the product!!

Sorry, but there are just too many nail technicians doing great business with CND for anything to be the fault of the product. There are no faults with the product and lifting issues are down to what you are doing and you should face that fact head on instead of thinking that another product change will solve the problems you have because you are so new to nails.

OPI is another perfectly good brand and along with Creative is one of the largest and most usedand respected nail products in the world and yet you, with no experience, were not impressed with it??? Sorry but your lack of experience tells me that you are no judge of what is good or bad and the very fact that you seem to have tried several top brands and don't 'get on' with them really tells the whole story, which is that you are wanting something to do the job for you instead of doing the right job yourself. good luck.

First of all, geeg, I wasn't blaming the product for my issues. I was simply stating that there is a method to applying CND Retention+ (this info came straight from a CND Educator and if you've ever attented one of their courses or taught one, you would know what I'm talking about). I feel this info is important because if you already have a technique for applying acrylic, learning a new one might be difficult at first. And just because I'm a newbie in the industry doesn't mean I'm not educated in product knowlege. I did a lot of homework before I chose a product to invest in and use on my clients. I choose CND because it is one of the BEST! And switching to YN is a personal choice, not an escape from my "problems" as you call them. And I made it clear that it was my choice...
You say "shame on me"??? Shame on you for putting the newbie down! :irked: As someone that has been in the business longer, you should be willing to give "positive" support and advice, not scolding me in a public form like I stole cookies from the cookie jar. I spend lots of money in my education to become a nail tech. It was so important to me to be the best nail tech that I flew to the US to attend a nail school for 3 months, take a state board exam that consist of a written and practical exam, just so I could be license which is not required here in the UK. I refused to be bullied on this forum. I thought this was a place were we could help each other and feel free to speak about our experiences in the industry.
Sorry everyone for my venting and I apologize if I offend anyone by my expressions above, but I feel strongly about nail techs helping each other and I just felt like the comments posted where attacking towards me and not at all warrented. :cry:

First of all, geeg, I wasn't blaming the product for my issues. I was simply stating that there is a method to applying CND Retention+ (this info came straight from a CND Educator and if you've ever attented one of their courses or taught one, you would know what I'm talking about).

woops.....I think Geeg knows all about CND training courses as she was the person who initiallly brought CND to the U.K. ....but you are a newbie to the site, and why should you know that?? Although it may in some way explain Geeg's response to your post.

I feel this info is important because if you already have a technique for applying acrylic, learning a new one might be difficult at first. And just because I'm a newbie in the industry doesn't mean I'm not educated in product knowlege. I did a lot of homework before I chose a product to invest in and use on my clients. I choose CND because it is one of the BEST! And switching to YN is a personal choice, not an escape from my "problems" as you call them. And I made it clear that it was my choice...
You say "shame on me"??? Shame on you for putting the newbie down! :irked: As someone that has been in the business longer, you should be willing to give "positive" support and advice, not scolding me in a public form like I stole cookies from the cookie jar. I spend lots of money in my education to become a nail tech. It was so important to me to be the best nail tech that I flew to the US to attend a nail school for 3 months, take a state board exam that consist of a written and practical exam, just so I could be license which is not required here in the UK.

Wow, I think it would be really cool to have done training in this way. I take it you possibly have american relatives or someone that you stayed with for the 3 months?

I refused to be bullied on this forum. I thought this was a place were we could help each other and feel free to speak about our experiences in the industry.

This definitely is a place where you can speak to likeminded professionals. so please don't judge the site on your first foray into the forums.

Sorry everyone for my venting and I apologize if I offend anyone by my expressions above, but I feel strongly about nail techs helping each other and I just felt like the comments posted where attacking towards me and not at all warrented. :cry:

We all feel stongly about certain things on here, and sometimes we disagree but on the whole we rub along quite nicely, so settle back and see for yourself.

Can I suggest that before you go to the extremes of changing over from one brand to another - you actually must check out your own training & nail prep& application procedures. If you are having a problem with lifting - you need to address that, no one nail brand will eliminate your lift problems, they are something you must look at in your own work.
You are very newly qualified, so my guess is you are still very inexperienced and need to perfect your prep & application - CND Retention+ is one of the very best acrylic products in the world today. I use both CND & EzFlow products - very successfully, but I have 5 years experience in working with acrylic.
Please don't blame the products for what is more likely to be YOUR inexperience. We all have had lifting problems in the beginning.
I notice on your website that you say that lifting is due to many reasons, but not the skill, or lack of it, that the technician has.
If you would like some advice, meant in a friendly way, as is this reply, I would remove that information from your site, as it is basically saying to your prospective clients that they will get lifting, no matter what! Also, I would suggest that you do not say that everyone is not suited to wearing acrylic, that again IMO is down to the skills of the professional nail technician doing a great job, with no problems. Also, all nails can be enhanced, regardless of shape etc. And oily nails do not make it impossible for people to wear acrylics, just a more thorough prep routine is needed.

Perhaps you may find going on a 1 to 1 with your CND educator to help sort out your lifting issues would be beneficial. We all need a refresher from time to time.:hug:

Thank you, Bev Rose, for your advice above. I no longer have lifting issues with the product. When I first starting using CND Retention+, I did have lifting issues, but it was with my technique which has been corrected after some additional training. Again, I was only stating my opinion and experience with the product.

As for removing the info from my website, I will not remove it because I feel that it is good info for my clients. As my mentor told me (she happend to be a CND Master Nail Tech) EVERYTHING causes lifting. And I do believe that their are people that can not wear acrylic nails (I have a client now that has tried weaing acrylic nails all her life and has gone with various nail techs to include an NSS shop and we all know that type of acrylic will stick to anything! She's never been able to keep a full-set on. So, I've been doing fiberglass nails on her and it's gone good :))

Again, I appreciate the advice, but think some folks have taken "my" opinion in the wrong way...:|

woops.....I think Geeg knows all about CND training courses as she was the person who initiallly brought CND to the U.K. ....but you are a newbie to the site, and why should you know that?? Although it may in some way explain Geeg's response to your post.

GREAT!!! Now I'll be known as the newbie who spouted off at the legendary Geeg (wow, I really know who to make an appearance, right..:eek:)

And yes, this does explain the response... it just could have been stated a little less harsh. I'm so passionate about nails and take lots of pride in my work. I'll just call this my inititiation into Salon Geek, ha, ha, ha!!!:lol:

Getting the right mix with CND has go to be one of the easiest things to do

Couldnt´t agree more.
Could be that you were working to wet with cnd to start out with, hence the lifting, and when you switched to yn *which has a slighter wet consistency i believe* It could have been just a perfect match since you were picking up your beads to wet for cnd but good enough for yn.
This doesn´t make a product better or worse. All these brands are fab. but you just need to know how to work with them. When you get consistant lifting with a reputable brand you may be sure that the problem is in your application instead of the product.
Ofcourse this doesnt take away that you like certain aspects better in one brand then another. As long as you are happy now with what you use...thats all that counts really :)

Latest posts

Back