Child from hell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopi679

Reaction score
Hi
I just wondered what you would all do in this situation:

I had a mum and a gran book the mums 2 chidren age 8 and 11 in for a manicure as a treat for their birthdays.
The app was last Sat. The Gran brought the 8 year old as the other one was poorly and said she would have the other manicure so I didnt lose out on the money.....fair enough.

The child had her manicure first and was ok but very talkative (normal for an 8 year old i'd say) I asked her to sit still on the sofa to let her nails dry while I did her nans.

That lasted all of 3 seconds.
Just as I started the second mani the child started running about like something possessed climbing on my treatment couch and swinging off a privacy curtain I have next to it!
I asked her to stop but the gran didnt do anything.

She then emptied my whole shelf display and messed it all up, Broke my blinds (have managed to fix them luckily now) and pull all the labels off some of my OPI varnishes, at which point I told her she had better start sticking them back on in a very stern voice.

The nan then finally asked her to behave, which fell on deaf ears as she climbed all over the couch again with muddy shoes on.

The problem is I would refuse another app but the mum and nan have already booked in for lots more treatments as well as rebooking the child who was poorly back in, she is coming tomorrow.

If she also misbehaves how do you reccomend I word things to get her to stop?
Im also 6 months pregnant and getting a tad stressed a little more easily than usual!
HELP!

I think I would ask the adults to please keep the child under control due to the nature of your business and the products you use. Maybe provide something for the child to do to occupy herself whilst having to wait? cOLOURING BOOKS OR tv OR VIDEO?

Good idea with the colouring books Geeg, thank you for that.
Im hoping the mum will bring the other child and maybe have a little more control over her!
Fingers crossed.
Failing that I am gonna have to get my stern head on.....easier said than done!

Never really had this problem as i've never been child friendly in a salon environment.

But, it's completely unacceptable behaviour on their part and if it happens again you need to say something.

Explain to the parents / grandparents that it is a salon environment and can they calm her down or she will have to leave.

I know that it sounds like you're being mean, but really, can you afford to be replacing half your salon each time they come?

It's about respect. This is your space and they need to respect it.

:hug:

:eek:...what a day you had hun.......i would tell the mum and nan that your area of business is just that,business........its not for children to play around in....

The mum and na know the children so know if they are going to be bored,so they should bring stuff in to occupy them....

If it was me and it happened again i would say to the mum or nan "please control your grandchild/child,as the ast time they were in they broke my blind and luckily i fixed it"......if they become nasty say ....my things have cost ME money and if your or any child breaks them they or you have to pay for the damage........in your condition hun you cant be stressed....xx

Nightmare....I feel for you hun.

Thing is no-one likes to be told something negative about there kids...parents can get very defensive...but you don't have to put up with this. I am sure that had this child behaved like this in a café or retail shop they would be asked to pay for damage and to leave.

I think if it was me i would do the other child tomorrow beens as she is booked in...but the first sign of bad behaviour and I would have to tell them that "this is my place of work, it is a professional environment and unless your daughter can sit and behave i will have to ask that you don't bring the children with you on your future appointments"

The mother may be better at dealing with the kids so play it by ear...but certainly don't feel like you cant say anything...if they don't like it and get the hump, so be it.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I know I have to say something if it happens again, it does really annoy me when people disrepect other peoples property, I just worry about offending people but then I have to think that they are actually the ones offending me!

I will be strong.........:mad:

I have a sign on the wall

we don't mind kids...
we expect parents to do this.

It works for me......and a few parents have had a giggle reading it and asked tounge in cheek where the creche was :lol:
xx:hug:xx

we don't mind kids...

It works for me......and a few parents have had a giggle reading it and asked tounge in cheek where the creche was :lol:
xx:hug:xx

I like this!!

I knew a salon in London which had a sign that said, DOGS ARE WELCOME, CHILDREN ARE NOT!!

Reason 234,347 not to have children!!!!

I had this with a client - the kids went through all my stuff jumped on tables, kept tugging at mums arms etc while i was trying to do her nails, tugging my arms - one even wet herself on floor to get mums attention.

I think they found it hard because mum was focusing on something else and not them.

I ended up getting dome a4 pages printed off internet of kids cartoons and stuff, armed myself with wax crayons (deffo not felt tips) and told them if they sat and coloured them nicely while mum had her nails done then as a treat they could both have their nails painted too.

Worked a treat. Kids always smudged their polish cos they couldn't sit still long enough for it to dry but by that point i was leaving and they had behaved while mum had her treatment which was the main thing. Worked a treat.

I never charged extra or anything like that (whats a bit of polish when i'm there anyway) but mum was so pleased she always tipped me well for it xx

what makes it worse is the parents do nothing and you feel like its not your place to say anything as the parent is there - if i'd have behaved like that as a kid i wouldnt have been able to sit down for a week.

the words 'just you wait till we get home' still frighten the life out of me!!

I stopped doing kids nail parties (my sis-in-law still does - the nutter lol)

the parents sometimes thought they could just leave 8-10 kids with us and have coffee -

while we were carrying out treatments while the other kids were opening nail polishes, emptying glitter out, smudging their nails, snapping nail files

arrrrggggghh it frustrates me just going over it all in my head again!!!

I gave it up - but I still have to endure the curious child now - its so hard keeping an eye on your stuff while the parent wants their nails to look good and to relax.

I like kids - I just havent got 2 sets of hands and eyes.

I am tempted to say if you have a lock on the toilet lock the child in there but I know I will get lynch....Only Joking

My child is really good but I would not every take him to a beauty salon at any age, saying that I dont think he would want to go - Being a thaiboxer and 14 it does not really go.

But seriously with you being pregnant you do not need the stress any signs of trouble ask the parents to supervise the children

Last edited:
My daughter is 8 and I'm not saying she's an angel but she would not behave in the way you have described and I wonder, and this is just a thought, if the child has some sort of behavioural disorder, because it sounds like very immature behaviour for an 8 year old.

Hopefully the 11 year old will be a dream. The fact they are sisters means nothing really, they may have very different personalities, and it's quite an age difference as well.

I think Geeg's idea is fab and supermarkets like Tesco and Asda do really cheap felt pens (like 35p ish). I would buy a Charlie and Lola comic, they are fab, but they are more like £3.

The thing is, it's not really the child's fault. The child either has a problem or the parents allow her to run riot which is still not her fault. But the grown ups sound like they might be good clients (in terms of spending anyway) and let's face it, we don't always adore our clients, we have to take the rough with the smooth, or sack them!

I like to accommodate parents bringing children where I can, I know what its like trying to get an appointment when you have a child to think of. My daughter used to come with me when I got my nails done, and she sat good as gold. I like to leave it up to parental judgement as to whether their kids will sit still for the duration of their treatment, but just to ensure things, I have a sign which reads something along the lines of:

Health and Safety Notice:
Due to the nature of the chemicals used to provide a service to you, children must remain seated in the allocated area for the duration of your treatment. Should your child engage in any activity which compromises their safety or the safety of any other patron of the salon, the technician reserves the right to stop the treatment. In the event of this happening, payment for the treatment is still due in full.

Your children are welcome at Aphrodite, but please help us to provide a first class service to you, and to ensure the safety of your child and other salon users.

Thankyou for your co-operation.

The "must be paid for" bit is in red!

Last week I had a lady who brought her 3 year old son, and to be honest as 3 year olds go he wasnt bad. But, he wandered up to the table and leaned on it looking at what I was doing, just as I was getting the monomer out. I didnt wait for the mum to say anything, I told him to go and sit down (nicely of course!), and he did. I know some kids are little beggars, but some respond well to bein told what to do by someone who's not their mum or dad.

Best of luck with this one hun:green:.

Just a thought... do you know if they are bringing the 8 yr old with them when they come with the 11 yr old? If she has no one at home to mind her, you are going to have her again! I do feel for you hun.:hug:

Buy a gun:green::green::green:

we don't mind kids...

I love it!

I was in a local eatery last week and they had a sign that read: All unattended children will be served espresso and given a free puppy when they leave. I'm still LOL over that one. :)

I was in a local eatery last week and they had a sign that read: All unattended children will be served espresso and given a free puppy when they leave. I'm still LOL over that one. :)

Thats a good'un too

Mine would say
a free espresso and a set of drums!!!!

Blimey, what a nightmare.

I feel for you hun, I had a situation not long back....here's the link.............http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64886-clients-kids.html

To be honest, I'd say in a loud voice 'I would stop what you are doing right NOW, as it's going to cost your Mum/Nan/Dad/antichrist a great deal extra on this bill!:D

Why do the parents/carers of these brats always seem to go blind & deaf once they have got sat down with a treatment???

I have put the notice up, mentioned in the link i think, and I have had no more problems.

Yes, I lost the client with the brat from hell, she sacked herslef very nicely & saved me the bother.

If the kid is causing damage, do you really need the business?

Latest posts

Back