Childish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella'B

Reaction score
Some of you may know i made the decition to change salons. So i told my boss i would be leaving as i cant affort to keep working there, and she knows it. I said i would confirm it with her on the sunday and she text me saying thats fine, you have to do whats best blah blah ... Anyway i then recived a text sayibg get your stuff thursday dont work your notice and give me the money you owe me. So iv gone to get my stuff this morning and she wasnt there (one of the reasons why im leaving) so i went to unlock the door and shes changed the locks!!!! Im now worried she might mess with my stuff as shes been so childish. Is it always like this in this industry?! Xx

Some of you may know i made the decition to change salons. So i told my boss i would be leaving as i cant affort to keep working there, and she knows it. I said i would confirm it with her on the sunday and she text me saying thats fine, you have to do whats best blah blah ... Anyway i then recived a text sayibg get your stuff thursday dont work your notice and give me the money you owe me. So iv gone to get my stuff this morning and she wasnt there (one of the reasons why im leaving) so i went to unlock the door and shes changed the locks!!!! Im now worried she might mess with my stuff as shes been so childish. Is it always like this in this industry?! Xx

Hey :) I would probably give it a day or so of phoning her before getting the police involved as id imagine this is probably classed as some form of theft...if she wants to be a child thats fine...be the adult and let the authorities deal with her :p x

Is it always like this in this industry?! Xx

In this industry?

I think that's just life. Some people are not nice and are very unreasonable. They're everywhere.

Have you come across anyone like this in this industry before then?

I dont think your boss is being childish at all. When I employed nail technicians in my salons and if they decided to leave then I also protected my business by changing the locks, and by asking the technician to leave immediately. Why? Because unfortunately colleagues who leave tend to steal information, steal products, and try to steal clients to come along with them to their next port of call.

I may have given girls the fantastic chance to work and learn in my salons, but many then think later on that they are entitled to poach clients and products etc. You may not have contemplated doing any of those things, but others before you have paved the way and given employers good cause to protect themselves and their businesses in the way your boss has done. For the most part these actions are not personal but just common sense.

Call and arrange a time to collect your things while she is there in the salon. I'm sure she has no intention of messing with your things at all. You should have called and arranged a time to meet the first time, as you are no longer part of the salon.

Thank you everyone. We made arrangments to meet, and I collected all my stuff. Even though i was expecting her to not have a client in at the time so we could have a quick chat and she had a ladie in on the couch while she was watching me and telling me to leave the money i owed her on the till. I thought that was abit unprofeshinal. Gigi i totaly understand what you mean, she did actually sagmy i could take all my clients numbers. Xx

Thank you everyone. We made arrangments to meet, and I collected all my stuff. Even though i was expecting her to not have a client in at the time so we could have a quick chat and she had a ladie in on the couch while she was watching me and telling me to leave the money i owed her on the till. I thought that was abit unprofeshinal. Gigi i totaly understand what you mean, she did actually sagmy i could take all my clients numbers. Xx

If you were self employed in the salon and paying your boss a percentage, then you are entitled to your clients details ... If you were employed and paid by the salon to work, then you are not.

I was self employed, i paid rent for my nail station.

I was self employed, i paid rent for my nail station.

In that case your boss is being exceptionally nice to you or doesn't intend to carry on offering nail services. Lucky you.

Wow, sounds a bit of a meanie if you ask me. The way she obviously had a think about the situation and decided she wanted you out immediately and changed the locks as though you are a well known theif!
Remind me to never apply for a job working with Geeg, sounds like she might just burn you at the stake if you dare try getting another job! I can understand the theft thing, but is there really a need to treat every employee like that just because they are trying to better themselves?
Hope the new salon goes well for you

Wow, sounds a bit of a meanie if you ask me. The way she obviously had a think about the situation and decided she wanted you out immediately and changed the locks as though you are a well known theif!
Remind me to never apply for a job working with Geeg, sounds like she might just burn you at the stake if you dare try getting another job! I can understand the theft thing, but is there really a need to treat every employee like that just because they are trying to better themselves?

:rolleyes:

I always change the locks when a key holding employee leaves. DOnt take it as an offense. its common practise and it makes sense. She probably doesnt think for a second youll steal.

But my insurance company requires me to know who has my keys and if i didnt keep a tight rein and something bad happened, they might not pay out.

It's best practise really and not a slur on your good nature.

As you are self employed then the customers are yours and so its again normal that you keep the client info.

best of luck in your new place and time to move on methinks.

tigi

What a silly post!
I believe that I made myself quite clear in my post as to why employers act the way they do. It may surprise you to know that most of my techs stayed with me for years and years so that proves what a crappy boss I was ! Hello.
If someone decided to leave .. They were asked to go at once. Locks changed and no chance to sabbatage my business. How horrible of me.

Yes there is a need to treat every employee like that just as other businesses do. Sad that it has to be that way but the one time I didntdo it (the first time) my employee stole all the client details and a load of product. I had her arrested by the police and took her to court ... Found guilty and could have been sent down except that I stepped in. How surprising when I am such a horrible peron.
It is dishonest employees that have made things the way they are ... It is is dishonest employees that have forced the distrust. It is dishonest employees that think they have the right to take clients and anything else they want from the hands that first helped them .. So don't throw stones at the employers ( or at me thank you very much) as we have unfortunately learned from bitter experience.

Good luck when you too employ others! :D

Last edited:
As "mean" as it may feel, geeg is right. Successful business women are successful for a reason, because they take precautions. You give someone the benefit of the doubt just once and that could be the time they crap all over you.

Although as a staff member we don't want to be tarred with the same brush, at the end of the day they're just protecting something they've worked so hard to build - their business.

Just don't take offence to it, move on and good luck x

Excuse me for wanting to have a little trust in people

Excuse me for wanting to have a little trust in people

Well take it from me, don't bother ... You will be screwed. Plus you made it personal. Excuse me for being on the defensive when MY name is targeted! :Scared:

Unfortunately trust is an issue in this industry when it comes to issues like this! My mums salon (that i manage-soon to be partner hopefully) Had bad experience with an ex member of staff (ex-friend too, big mistake but that's another story) was found on numerous occasions working on clients In the salon after hours even up until 10/11pm and pocketing the money! Unfortunately only found this out after a few months of it happening! When you put your trust in somebody to be a key holder for your pride and joy its a slight kick in the teeth! I wouldnt take it personally, she is just simply protecting herslf and her business not accusing or assuming you would do anything wrong, just making sure she hasnt given chance too. (ignore >>> my phone is rubbish) your pride and joy!

Good luck when you too employ others! :D

Exactly why I choose to stay working from home - just me! No training someone up and giving them all the advice that I have gleaned from my 9 years only to have them potentially plop all over you.:eek:

Clients sometimes say "would you like a salon one day?" and I just laugh - my life is stressful enough at the moment without all that lol

You salon owners are a brave and plucky bunch! I may join you one day when I feel I can cope.

I employed three ladies in my business a few years ago. I was a lovely boss who considered my employees friends. The senior member of staff ws stealing from me whilst I was spending extra time at home after having my daughter the takings were down £500 a month and stock ordering was up. The other two knew what was happening, but were too scared to say anything. I know Gigi sounds harsh, but experience makes you like that I'm afraid and I wish I was more like that from the start. You have to protect yourself ant your business harsh, but true.:)

Latest posts

Back