Christmas Appointments!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I don't know if any or you will heed my advice on this one, but I thought I would tell you of my experience.

As most of you know, I worked my years behind the nail desk just like all of you are doing right now ... MANY years of 8 till 8 (and beyond), always giving my all to the clients.

Every year, starting from August in some cases, my devoted clients would start to book their Christmas appointments!!! Yes ... August. Christmas eve filled up before anything else. Why, I used to wonder, did clients who would normally go for 3 weeks between maintenance appointments all feel they had to jam in the day before Christmas? It used to take ages to get them all on an even routine again after Christams.

Anyway, Christmas eve would come and the phone would never stop ringing from the moment we got to the salon, while many of the said adoring clients cancelled their appointments until after the new year, because they were too busy!!!

After about 3 years of this, I decided we would not take any appointments, and we would close the salon on Christmas eve. It gave all of we technicians time to give to our own families and celebrations and it was great.

Here is the reality. We were always so full with all the regulars before Christmas that we couldn't fit in new customers, so we really didn't gain over the Christmas period because we did all the same old same old! We made more money, (because we worked longer hours) but in reality we didn't because we were not building new clientele.

It was JANUARY when we got all the new business!!! Everyone who had seen and liked our beautiful nails at parties over the holidays, were booking in for full sets.

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?

i'm so glad you have posted this thread geeg...already my week before christmas is more-or-less fully booked which is great - these are both regulars and a few 'one-offs', but i have had requests for appointments for christmas eve (one lady even wanted an evening appointment on the 24th!!!! Hellloooooo there, i do have a life and a family!) I have been umm-ing and arh-ing whether to work christmas eve or not, have now decided firmly no!

Hi how long is everyone closing for over the xmas period

I think it is important to spend as much time with your family at CHristmas I wont be working cristmas eve. I Have started bookings again for the 4th January. :)

Phone is ringing off the hook now which is good but last year i was working till 9pm Christmas eve because i wanted to keep everyone happy..!! Not this year, i finish on the 23rd and go back 27th for a couple of days. Im hopping to keep my Family happy this year.

I am not working xmas Eve - too much to do and cutting off at 3pm New YEars Eve - crickey my nail art last fror weeks so if they have not thught about it pror to then what can i do....so i am not rushing around again like a fool. Last year was my first christmas doing enhancements and I was so tired come new years eve!

I think people view nais like hair, they feel the need to have them done on the day - but IMo it's so different.... clients walk out and their nails should look just like they've stepped out of a salon for at least a week (if looked after that is)

queen said:
Hi how long is everyone closing for over the xmas period

xmas eve, xmas day, boxing day, new years eve afternoon, then reopen on the 3rd jan...

but i am mobile and home based...not a salon owner

hth

Personally I would close over Christmas as I never have enough time to fit in parents, partner, parents-in-law etc etc as it is :)
But I would probably offer appointments on New Year's Eve. I never do anything that special for the night anyway- no big parties for a Norma No-Mates like me :D so I'd like to fit in clients who might break a nail or suddenly want some nail art just in time for a big party. Presumably NYE parties are a huge platform for displaying your work?
But what interests me is your comment on people cancelling at the last minute cos they're too busy, Geeg. Having seen the state of Tescos on the run up before Christmas ("OHMAGAWD, I forgot the ham!" "What do you mean, you've sold out of mince pies?" etc etc :D ) I can easily believe it. Do you think people would do the same on New Year's Eve? If working that date would you charge extra as most places of employment as standard pay extra on that date? Or reserve appointments for tried and trusted clients only? Maybe even charge a deposit?

I'm working Christmas eve until 2pm but thats because of my regular clients whose fill appointments fall on that day . Then Wed ,Thurs Fri then i'm off for a week on holiday to Fuertventura for a week.

Ruby

I normally work a 9-5 on Christmas eve, but have had the cancellations myself , due to last minute hitches... I also go back to work the day after Boxing day then work straight through to New Years eve (full day again!). Having read your words of wisdom though, I think I may book the day off, or insist on payment in full at time of booking for both Christmas eve and New years eve.....
Do you think that would be fair??

Suex

I am closed over Christmas and the New Year...............
my last working day is the 23rd of December.....................but I have extended my hours for the 2 weeks before Christmas..............this way I can accomodate the regulars and the new clients...............
Christmas is a special time, but it is also my special time.......it is my holdiday time......I have 2 weeks off wohooooooooooooooooo.............I have done it like this for the last 13 years and my clients know this and their nails last well into the new year lol....and yes there are always more new clients for me after the hols.................

when i was empolyed we used to book up clients for chrismas far too early, some ppl wanted to book in the summer like geeg, but we did wait til sept for booking appts
for this yr i started booking at the beginning of nov for christmas otherwise i get v booked with regs and cant fit everyone in like new clients,
i am working half a day on christmas eve and im nt sure whether to work inbetween christmas and new yr yet
i didnt last yr and i was manic before and after but im nt going up to scotland for a week for hogmony this yr im just at home so im thinking i mite work a few days inbetween ive got a list of clients who i know want appts, i do feel kinda pressured to work tho... but if i do it will only be 1 or 2 days and nt a full day on new yrs eve... hey i do need time to make myself beautiful if i do go out on the town.....lol;)
i love my job but im nt a great fan of the week b4 christmas it just gets too busy and i end up so sleepy and stressed out... but i guess its christmas and everyone wants fabby party nails....i just dont like squeezing everyone in and not having any breaks cos ive nt got time and of course working til 8 or 9, i always miss going out for my best mates bday cos its v close to christmas....its a shame but she understands and of course it gives us more excuse to party when its nt her bday...lol

Jess
xox

Hi

We insist on a deposit at the time of booking. its only refundable with 24 hours notice. We open till 2 or 3 xmas and new years eve.

I have upped my hours in the 2 weeks before xmas, and finish on the 23rd. I am open again on the 30th Dec for tans, body art, basic manicures and nail art only. These are all short appointments and I can fit more of my clients in for their new years eve bits, rather than filling up the time with new sets and fills etc - These appointments have to be taken before xmas.

Then I re-open on the 4th Jan.

Last year, I worked until 8pm on xmas eve then opened up again on the 27th dec until new years eve. - Never again! I am looking forward to spending some quality time with my family this xmas.

Well I'm booked up to stay in a wooden lodge with 4 poster bed and huge hot tub. Going on the 22nd for a week. So last appt for me is the 21st. I booked this last January and have been paying all year for it so am really looking forward to it.
You have to give yourself time off at christmas.
Oooh I'm getting excited now thinking of lying in the hot tub with my champers on Christmas Eve.
I'll be all refreshed after my break to do my foundation course.
I've never really understood why people insist on getting their hair, nails, waxing etc. at the last minute i.e. xmas eve, it'll last just as long as usual.

Oooh, Marie, where are you going, sounds fab!
Have always wanted to stay in a wooden lodge, open fire roaring, furry rug in front of it.....
Unfortunately Alex is off climbing for New Year (bah humbug!) and this Christmas is the first anniversary of his grandad dying (they were very close) so no warm and fuzzies this year, but would love to book one for next year.
Hope you have a lovely time!!

I am glad you mentioned this Geeg. I feel the same way....it's almost like we should sacrifice our families so others may have nice nails, not to mention having any time to have ours done. We like to have nice nails too! This year I am closing at 2:00 X-Mas Eve and just going to open the Thursday and Friday before New Year so those who want their nail art changed can do so. I have also taken deposits for appointments X-Mas week, nothing worse that turning away business only to have someone not show!!!

Marie you deserve the break!!! have a good one... funnily enough the other tech in our salon has just been to the same log cabin in ripon... she said it was fab and well worth it just to getaway from Newcastle!!!

Cec said:
Blush, blush... so embarrased... Didn't see this was an old thread.... Sorry, forget about it...:-D

Cec.

Hi Cec

Don't worry - I for one have really benefitted from reading this thread - it's given me some valuable advice for my first christmas in my nail room :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back