Clients hard times..do we help out...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe u could do an offer for every 1 client sh gets hers done at a disscount price ... im a soft touchso i know how u feel lol x

When I read this thread, it reminded me of a blog that our Education Director, Rise' Carter, wrote back in December 2008 regarding everyone's feelings of uncertainty about the economy. She told a great story - it's a little long:

"...Our clients are concerned too. They want to keep feeling good about themselves, but they may also feel guilty at the same time. We need to put their concerns to REST, in a positive and motivating way. Truthfully, they depend on us to be their strength, support, sounding boards, shrinks, personal comedian and shoulder to cry on. We are their “escapes.” The nail service is actually FREE!

What can we do as “just nail techs” that will help them cope, understand, and be there for their families, friends, co-workers, etc? Simply LISTEN to them! They may not always want your opinion, but your wonderful listening skills are always appreciated. Offer them encouragement and support.

I know I should be writing about nail art, increasing business, and customer support. I actually am! One of the best things you can do for yourself and your business is to “give back.” I have a client who used to come to the salon every Saturday morning at 10 am for a manicure. She was laid off from her job and needed to give up her nail appointment. I told her that I knew it was important for her to have her nails done, and that I wanted her to keep coming in. I didn’t charge her until she found another job. It took her about 6 months, and once she started work, she resumed paying for her manicures.

About 3 months after she started her new job, she came into the salon and handed me a greeting card, and told me not to open it until I was on my way home. She had put $400 in the card thanking me for doing something nice. I was flabbergasted!

The truth is that it didn’t really cost me much to continue her manicures all those months except for a little bit of my time each week. You might want to offer one of your special clients a service at no charge. It makes them feel good and makes you feel good as well.

Let’s continue to have true faith, support our industry, and each other. I know that at the end of the day, no matter how great or how miserable it was, women want to feel good about them selves and WE provide that service!"

Just wanted to share that.

Last edited:
hi, im new to salon geek and to nails but am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist and worked from home for 5 years - i have found myself in this situation and i suggested cutting back her usual treatments to just the basics and spreading them out more ie from 4 weeks to 6 weeks... she was happy and i continued to do her treatments for a while... even adding in the odd freebie.... untill she became very complacent with me... she wouldnt turn up on time, wouldnt bring out her money with her... i even had an unsigned cheque left behind! this was one of the reasons i choose to completely restart from my new location and not to travel to old clients...

I think once you start being too friendly they take advantage... business is business...if i was the client i wouldnt ask for a discount or expect one and would find it awkward and end up paying full price as i would feel bad.:)

hi, im new to salon geek and to nails but am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist and worked from home for 5 years - i have found myself in this situation and i suggested cutting back her usual treatments to just the basics and spreading them out more ie from 4 weeks to 6 weeks... she was happy and i continued to do her treatments for a while... even adding in the odd freebie.... untill she became very complacent with me... she wouldnt turn up on time, wouldnt bring out her money with her... i even had an unsigned cheque left behind! this was one of the reasons i choose to completely restart from my new location and not to travel to old clients...

I think once you start being too friendly they take advantage... business is business...if i was the client i wouldnt ask for a discount or expect one and would find it awkward and end up paying full price as i would feel bad.:)

In a general sense of course we all agree with you there I'm sure ... however this post was about a one off client and a one off instance. It could al go tips up or it might not ... that is the risk Angie is prepared to take with this person and with her own judgement of the situation .. it has as much chance of succeeding as not (if not more). If Angie feels it is right FOR HER then it is right for her.

I do agree with you Leanne....and trust me I am no push over...:lol:

I asked for opinions because I wanted opinions and was pleased to get a mixed lot....it definitely gave me something to think about before i just went right in with my decision.

As it happens she has accepted my offer for 1 more infill and then for a removal....and then wont be coming again. In some ways that fact that she has done this has actually made me like/respect her even more.

It was a one off...and not something I would do for just a anyone with a sob story.

Im glad you have made a decision bagpuss and you know your client better than anyone and it is nice of you to do what you have done... unfortunatley in my situation i didnt know my client that well and it backfired...as it does sometimes...
:)

This has been a very interesting thread.

Bless you Angie, for your kindness for this lady.

I think that after a couple of years with a regular client you know their situation, as they tend to tell you their "life" stories especialy when you are working in a 1 2 1 situation, and this lady sounds a lovely genuine lady.

I moved into a village 5 years ago and set up my own business, I have made a lot of friends through what I do, but they all know that I am a single Mum with 2 children aged 12 and 16, and never expect discounts as they know that this is my living. However, there have been times when someone has done kindness for me and I have given them a voucher by way of thanks.

We are all aware deep down of those clients that are genuine and those who say that are broke in one breath and then are telling you that they are off to Barbados on hiliday.

If I was in your situation Angie, I would have done the same of you, as the saying goes "you reep what you sow", so I hope good things are on their way to you.

Sally X

I know myself the answer is yes! I know it feels great when someone helps you out. My family has run in a hard time, but no matter what, a long time standing client turns into a friendship. Friends help friends. My mentor has HELPED ME GREATLY and I am gratefull to her, so PAY IT FORWARD. One good deed will be returned to you. I have seen myself give the shirt off my back to someone and when you see their smile and feel their gratefullness you feel so good. A good feeling is more important to me than 20$.:).

I know you cant help her forever, but even if its just a few sets, she will remember forever that you had a great big heart. And are you really going to miss that 20$..... 20$ for me is a pack of cigarettes and2 coffees. Not a big deal.

Help someone who needs help and the favor will be returned!!

Latest posts

Back