Clients hard times..do we help out...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Really could do with some advise on this...I know what I want to do...but unsure if I am thinking about this all wrong and it will come back to bite me on my backside.

I know business is business but if a long standing client...(3 years) always been very loyal and a great client....lovely person too....Left you a message saying she can no longer come cos her hours/wages have dropped would you want to help her out...?

Bless her...she is a single mum with 2 kids and works 3 jobs....and lets be honest ain't we all been there, I know I have. Would it be so bad if I offered to do her nails if she so wishes at a much reduced price for a fixed period...(a few months or so) so covering my costs but not charing for my time....????

Ok so having nails is a luxury and not essential to survive but i know she loves her nails and if it was a new-ish client or one that was unreliable then I wouldn't entertain the idea.

I also don't want to suggest this and her think I am just thinking about myself (losing a client) and make her feel she cant just say "thanks but no thanks"....I ain't bothered in the slightest about losing a client...I just wanted to share the good karma that others have shared to me in times of need.

What would you do....?

Really could do with some advise on this...I know what I want to do...but unsure if I am thinking about this all wrong and it will come back to bite me on my backside.

I know business is business but if a long standing client...(3 years) always been very loyal and a great client....lovely person too....Left you a message saying she can no longer come cos her hours/wages have dropped would you want to help her out...?

Bless her...she is a single mum with 2 kids and works 3 jobs....and lets be honest ain't we all been there, I know I have. Would it be so bad if I offered to do her nails if she so wishes at a much reduced price for a fixed period...(a few months or so) so covering my costs but not charing for my time....????

Ok so having nails is a luxury and not essential to survive but i know she loves her nails and if it was a new-ish client or one that was unreliable then I wouldn't entertain the idea.

I also don't want to suggest this and her think I am just thinking about myself (losing a client) and make her feel she cant just say "thanks but no thanks"....I ain't bothered in the slightest about losing a client...I just wanted to share the good karma that others have shared to me in times of need.

What would you do....?

Hi Angie!,

i know this is no help at all but i think you have raised a very interesting point! i like to think i am a nice giving person and i probably would help her out but then i would worry i am opening a can of worms for others and then would worry that i would end up doing them at that price forever!

i cant wait to read other people opinions!

And it is sooo nice to see that you have a heart of gold trying to help someone out when times are hard. you even considering it speaks volumes about the kind of person you are and i think you should defo have some good karma coming ur way!!! :)

Jodie x x x

i agree, i've had lots of people saying to me they can no longer afford to come in, I charge one girl a reduced price as i know she cannot afford full whack and also i'd rather be making something by doing that than nothing at all if she doesn't come in!!! I charge her £10 for infills and £20 for backs, but i have sworn her not to tell anyone else!

The trouble is when do you stop charging them less and decide that really you want full price? Then you run the risk of them becoming funny with you. but i agree, its nice to help folks out especially if you have been doing them a long time and you have become close, I say charge her less for 3 months and make sure she knows that after that it will go back up to full price.

x

It might just be me being a meanie, but I personally have never & would never do this. I have occassionally given the odd discount treatment as a suprise to my clients when they've had a rough time (such as upgrading one client's treatment to a deluxe one because she'd just found out her husband was terminally ill), but I'd be wary of giving a discount that was permanent or open-ended. Perhaps sending her a personal discount voucher with a limited period of time on it would be a way of offering a discount but keeping control over how long she gets it for?

Perhaps you can give her a one off voucher giving a discount on a one treatment, and let her know its because you value her custom.

I have heard several 'sob' stories (some true, some not) but the couple which spring to mind were one lady who asked if I did reductions for unemployed people as she did not have a job, I must say I said no - as I picked up some funny vibes. I am glad I did, as I ran into her the next day getting out of her top of the range merc going to meet friends for lunch. One of these friends is a good pal of mine and it turns out she is far from unemployed and certainly not short of a bob or two.

Finally I had one Client who I felt real empathy for as she is her husbands carer. She gave me a sob story about being really broke. I did take a much reduced payment for several treatments and gave her lots of my time - my Mum is my Dads carer and I know who terrible it can be. A couple of months later, I ran in to her in the Dentist, where she was paying for the teeth whitening and dental implants she had just had. She was also booking her regular Botox treatment and buying some very expensive cosmeceutical products!! She did not recognise me till I was called in by my name, said hello and told me how wonderful the £125 moisturiser she was buying was. Obviously while I was in the dentists chair, he kindly wrote STUPID SUCKER in large letters on my forehead.

I have learnt my lesson. Be careful, use your discretion. Dont confuse sympathy and empathy

J :eek:

perhaps sending her a personal discount voucher with a limited period of time on it would be a way of offering a discount but keeping control over how long she gets it for?

I would have to agree with this idea, it is so hard to tell if people are telling the truth, i'm certainly not saying that she isn't but you can never be to sure offering her vouchers or a loyalty card would be a better way of going about helping her out, that way when the vouchers run out so does the offer.

adell

There was a time when I was unemployed or just had basic wages. I didn't cross my mind to and do my nails or yet ask for discount! I have my pride. If you can't afford beauty treatment then don't. Having nails is a luxure no need in our lives.

When you shop for food in tesco etc and you short even 5 pence you simply can't buy!

I have done this with a client who had been a regular for 4 years and always gave me a tip. She lived alone and got herself into a bit of financial trouble. She was lovely and I did feel for her. Anyway I did her nails at cost for 3 months and she let me know that she was ok again and we then continued as we had before, on full payment and with a tip every time. She was very grateful as she loved her nails and she never told the 3 people she had recommended to me so I wasn't put in a position with them. I only lost her when she met a man and moved away. We still keep in touch.

I would say to go with your gut feeling on this. As you said, a lot of us have been there and sometimes it is a kindness like this that touches us the most and gives us the strength to keep going.

I think it is a lovely thought and something that will make you feel good about yourself. :)

Heh, cant believe this thread has come up,I started on a nail biter last year,she warned me she was going to have her nails done for a few months , and then would have to give Oct/Nov a miss as she was too financially pushed..and so she did but she booked in for some xmas nails and thankfully has returned back since.

Last week she left me a message to say her hours had been drastically dropped at work,..I was aware that this might happen,she warned me,and that she had no money and couldnt afford to have her nails done at the moment. :cry:

So gutted to of lost her,she was just one of those clients you just loved going to,and we had so much in common ,and funnially enough this did cross my mind ,should I offer to do them cheaper?

Ive decided to leave it be ,she s told be she ll be back later when she s sorted things,she s been back before,so hopefully will keep my fingers crossed I ll see her again in the future.:hug:

Hi

This is such a good point but I have to say I do the same as Martin, I will up a treatment occasionally or add something nice at the beginning of the treatment like a foot soak or a mini shoulder massage when my clients don't expect it.....they really like it.

I have got hard because I pay full price for my hair at the moment even though it is an extravagence, they don't discount me for being loyal every 5 weeks spending a min of 60quid.

Maybe a one off in the form of a voucher with stipulations could be the answer?

Is a nice thought though.

Vouchers are a great idea. Maybe a few months worth so she can't get sed to the pricing

You wouldn't want to ask her if she wants to have something like "cuticle care and polishing (with some nice art)" instead of enhancement?
That would cost her less and still make her cheer up??

It's very difficult to put price up to normal in the future once you've done it cheaper, and you don't know when she will have spare money for nails again (sorry).

Meg

I would say to go with your gut feeling on this. As you said, a lot of us have been there and sometimes it is a kindness like this that touches us the most and gives us the strength to keep going.

I think it is a lovely thought and something that will make you feel good about yourself. :)

I absolutely agree with you. I would do the same. :hug:

I have been on the other end of this type of situation. I was getting a much needed massage on a regular basis. When my business dropped I called him and told him I would have to quit coming for a little while. He offered me a fairly sized discount. Some would have said no and been too proud, but I took him up on it. But I also was honest and truthful with him that when things picked up I paid full price. He said I didn't need to do that, but I insisted and told him that if the situation ever came up again I would feel comfortable in letting him know and take the discount then. I think he appreciated my honesty.

On my end though, I have offered to work something out with those who have left due to money and they have refused. Some people are too proud to do so. Some do continue to come and I've let them know that they don't need to tip me. I think they did appreciate that and continued to come.

As far as nails being a luxury, that isn't always the case. Some people need their enhancements because their nails aren't strong, split and/or tear. Sometimes I have even talked to them about possibly cutting back in other areas of their life to save up to do the "one" thing they do for themselves. We just have to be ingenious to think of ideas on how we can help out clients and not make ourselves go into debt.

Personally, I don't get involved. I know there are people who save up to get their hair done by me.There are always cheaper options available to people so it is their perogative what they spend their money on.

I think if it was me I would offer a complimentary removal and manicure and then leave it at that until she is able to return.

I second this, ....... nothing is written in stone and the odd bit of (shall we say charity) never goes astray.

Angie, you know this client very well ... you know she is not lying or trying to get something out of you. If you want to give her the gift of your time and charge her less for a few months to give her pleasure and help her self esteem then why should you not do it? It is only for her, not something you are going to do for everyone who falls on hard times. She can accept your gift or not ... a gift is not charity.

I am a giver and I do like to help people and I have done in all sorts of situations in my life, ... I've been dumped on at times by some of the people I've helped the most ... go figure. :rolleyes: But at the end of the day, I still feel good about myself and I don't want to be any different. I will continue to do so as well and take my chances. :hug:

Kindness is a rarity these days ... not many with kind loving hearts for anyone but themselves. Makes me sad for the world. You do what your heart tells you and even if you were disappointed with the outcome you will always be the one who did the kind thing as others have done for you.

I would say yes, it is a kindness and as you say is only costing your time.

Instinct, businesswise, would be a no, but where would we all be without a little heart and soul :Love:

spot on geeg, there are too many money grabbing folks out there these days, its rare to see someone helping another out unless it means they gain money from it! I think its a lovely idea, i have done the same for some of my clients and they really appreciate it, plus its better to make something from them even if it is half of what you charged before - than lose them as a customer and have an empty slot every few weeks where they would have come in

times are hard, we all have to work together.

x

Latest posts

Back