Clients hard times..do we help out...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spot on geeg, there are too many money grabbing folks out there these days, its rare to see someone helping another out unless it means they gain money from it! I think its a lovely idea, i have done the same for some of my clients and they really appreciate it, plus its better to make something from them even if it is half of what you charged before - than lose them as a customer and have an empty slot every few weeks where they would have come in

times are hard, we all have to work together.

x

Just to be clear, I was talking about a one off situation where Angie has become a friend of her client and wants to gift her ... I am not advocating helping every 'bleeding heart' and I do not believe in lowering your prices in the salon as a means of staying in business because I do not think it is necessary plus it won't work ... I believe in premium pricing for what you are worth and sticking to your guns definitely not lowering them.

Thank you everyone for all your advise and suggestions.....its helped alot.

Thing is i ain't no pushover and i don't fall for sob stories...i am quite good at judging people.

I had one client once telling me how skint she was that she couldn't afford her nails...blah blah blah and then a week later i saw her spending like money was going out of fashion in a clothes shop that i personally could only afford a pair of socks from...:lol:

But this client is genuine...she has been nothing but consistent for the last 3 years...she budgets for her nails in a jar each week...(ohh yes i have been paid in £2 coins many a time..:lol:) so bottom line...and after considering all you advise....I am going to do what feels right/good. Like Geeg said, its a one off, not something I have done before (apart from the odd free nail repair) and not something that i would do for just anyone.

Thanks again. xx

This has been a very interesting thread. I agree with Carl and Geeg...go with what feels right.
I have had a dear friend/client with a similar situation. We worked something out and it kept her confidence up to be able to go on with life/job seeking.
I got taken out for lunch by her as a thank you!!

It's nice to be nice!! xx

i think you should go with your gut hun , you have good insticints and would know if she was pulling a fast one ,
i believe in karma , if you give a bit you are sure to get it back xxx

i wasn't suggesting i have multiple clients for whom i lower my prices, i have one customer i do this for, and it would be ridiculous to do it for all my clients!

I agree premium pricing for a premium service, but it this time of reccession our services are the first to go when clients have to cut back, so we have to give a little back to our clients, after all think how much it has cost them over the years to come to us, they have kept us in business so its only fair we can help them

As difficult it might be, I wouldn't offer my time for nothing. Afterall, it is your bread and butter. Also it is the clients decision not to have her nails done for whatever reason. You could end up causing the client some embarrassment by offering to do her nails for free.

How about a little note from you saying how much you value and enjoy her custom and understand her situation and enclose a couple of vouchers redeemable against the next 3 nails services for her to use if she so wishes.

Let us know how you go xxx:hug:

I am a little surprised by this thread. I would give my friends my time, my care, and my last fiver. However my clients are not my friends. They are my CLIENTS. They pay me for my time and skill. They are not my friends.
If this client likes your work, she will be back when funds allow. Even offering a cheaper service could put her in an awkward position if funds are really short, and there are other priorities. I would feel really uncomfortable if someone offered their work cheap or free cos I was skint.
If you want to keep this client at all costs, then that's your perogative. I would just sympathise with the client and say "give me a call when you need me"

I am a little surprised by this thread. I would give my friends my time, my care, and my last fiver. However my clients are not my friends. They are my CLIENTS. They pay me for my time and skill. They are not my friends.
If this client likes your work, she will be back when funds allow. Even offering a cheaper service could put her in an awkward position if funds are really short, and there are other priorities. I would feel really uncomfortable if someone offered their work cheap or free cos I was skint.
If you want to keep this client at all costs, then that's your perogative. I would just sympathise with the client and say "give me a call when you need me"

Things re not ever black or white in life or in business .... sometimes a client does become a friend too ... in general I would agree with you but as I say there are grey areas and one doesn't have to approach the friend/client in a way to make them uncomfortable or to make them feel obligated ... one can hold out a kind hand and make the gesture and in this instance offer a gift of true friendship.

I clearly don't think Angie is doing this to "keep a client at all costs" -- she does not need to do that .... she runs a good business in a businesslike way ... she also has a heart and a business person CAN have a heart too in special instances if she cares to do so out of kindness and not for the need of money. We're talking about a special case here not giving out general advice.

Easy to make it sound black and white but not realistic (thank God). Business needn't be heartless.

A Loyal client who has spread my name and helped give me the reputation I now have and initially at the start of my business brought me many clients and continues to do so fell on hard times this last year, I was so upset for her, she wouldn't take a reduced price for her treatments so I sent her through the post 2 gift vouchers to the value of 2 full sets with a note saying if she had any function or night out or just needed a treat then this was my gift to her for her continued loyalty, she rang me to thank me and was in tears but promised me she would use them. She came to me at Christmas using a gift voucher and on booking her back fill for New Year insisted on giving me back the other voucher saying things had improved and she would be in a better position come January to go back to normal I suggested she use the second voucher for her backfill apt and we start a fresh in the New Year, we had our first appointment of 2010 last Wed. I have on the other hand been taken advantage of by friends in the past. I have toughened up where they are concerned after introducing my "Mates Rates" price list.

Sorry but I disagree with you. Some of my clients have been coming to me for 20 years, yet they are not my "friends". On a professional forum, to discuss giving our living away for free/little because of sad circumstances, is patronising to people who are having a tough time.

Sorry but I disagree with you. Some of my clients have been coming to me for 20 years, yet they are not my "friends". On a professional forum, to discuss giving our living away for free/little because of sad circumstances, is patronising to people who are having a tough time.

really.....? well I and many more besides have at one time or another fallen upon tough times.....and its the small but genuine gestures that others have made that have got me and I am sure others through. Sometimes I think alot of people have this "I'm alright jack" attitude....Thankfully I was raised better than that and would share with a complete stranger I had never met if I knew they needed it.

How is trying to help someone patronising......:rolleyes:

I am sorry that i find spending 1.5 hours with people every 3-4 weeks results in me becoming fond of people....I might not ever be rich but I will sure be happy knowing I am true to myself, if being rich means wearing blinkers to those who are struggling then give me hard times any day of the week.

Trust me I don't need to keep clients at all costs....they keep me :green:

I have donated my services as part of fund raising raffles at gala's and the such....does this make me unprofessional too....?

I did ring my client and she was so appreciative and asked if that if it was ok...I just do them this one more time for her as she has a wedding to attend and after that she will have to stop coming. She wasn't in the slightest bit offended.

Guess I better get my waiting list out and see who's next in line :green:

A Loyal client who has spread my name and helped give me the reputation I now have and initially at the start of my business brought me many clients and continues to do so fell on hard times this last year, I was so upset for her, she wouldn't take a reduced price for her treatments so I sent her through the post 2 gift vouchers to the value of 2 full sets with a note saying if she had any function or night out or just needed a treat then this was my gift to her for her continued loyalty, she rang me to thank me and was in tears but promised me she would use them. She came to me at Christmas using a gift voucher and on booking her back fill for New Year insisted on giving me back the other voucher saying things had improved and she would be in a better position come January to go back to normal I suggested she use the second voucher for her backfill apt and we start a fresh in the New Year, we had our first appointment of 2010 last Wed. I have on the other hand been taken advantage of by friends in the past. I have toughened up where they are concerned after introducing my "Mates Rates" price list.

what a fantastic way to deal with this situation. Thank you xxxx:hug:

For a change I really can see both sides of this discussion. I am wary of clients becoming friends as it just makes it really difficult, but I have gained a few clients who mean an enormous amount to me.

Personally for me I love the way Glitz did it and if I am ever faced with a situation similar I would probably go down that route.

I have been on the receiving end of extremely kind gestures and they have meant a great deal to me.

Its not patrionizing people at all, i cant see how you can do a client for 20 years and not gain some kind of friendship - do you not talk to your client or get to know her?!!!! Thats quite sad to me, as to see someone for an hour every couple of weeks and listen to them telling you whats going on in their lives and then exchange whats going on in your life - how can you not become close to them! its human nature!

I think bagpuss is correct, a select client who has been loyal for years and is struggling on hard times comes to you and admits they can no longer afford it - what shoudl she do? frogmarch her to the door and say 'sorry you are no longer of use to me now you can't pay me full price'

we are made of stronger deeper stuff than this, clients do pay us for our service, but we sometimes have to pay them back with understanding and generosity when they most need it

:smack:

Angie, just posting this shows what a luv you are!! I would say, go with your gut feeling. I am sure that you are experienced enough to know who is and isn't a good customer and I agree that there are not enough people prepared to go that extra mile to help someone else who honestly deserves a break (without making them feel like a charity case obviously). I am sure your client will be so grateful of your offer. xxx

really.....? well I and many more besides have at one time or another fallen upon tough times.....and its the small but genuine gestures that others have made that have got me and I am sure others through. Sometimes I think alot of people have this "I'm alright jack" attitude....Thankfully I was raised better than that and would share with a complete stranger I had never met if I knew they needed it.

How is trying to help someone patronising......:rolleyes:

I am sorry that i find spending 1.5 hours with people every 3-4 weeks results in me becoming fond of people....I might not ever be rich but I will sure be happy knowing I am true to myself, if being rich means wearing blinkers to those who are struggling then give me hard times any day of the week.

Trust me I don't need to keep clients at all costs....they keep me :green:

I have donated my services as part of fund raising raffles at gala's and the such....does this make me unprofessional too....?

I did ring my client and she was so appreciative and asked if that if it was ok...I just do them this one more time for her as she has a wedding to attend and after that she will have to stop coming. She wasn't in the slightest bit offended.

Guess I better get my waiting list out and see who's next in line :green:
Angie well done and you can bet that when her money is back on the up, you will be the first person she will be contacting.
I actually call it smart, I don't think she will be going around shouting from the roof tops that you are a soft touch..... more like Angie is a fantastic Nail Technician and such a nice girl too. I think you have wisely investet in some fab word of mouth advertising here...... xxxxx

Angie, I think you have handled this perfectly. Your client appreciates the offer but wont take advantage, and she'll be back without a doubt. I love you approach to your business.

I had a similar situation which I was able to resolve in different way. I have a client whose husband is in the building trade and suffers over the winter because of the weather so money is much tighter. 2 years ago she had a 3 month break from her nails because of funds being tight. Now this lady does house-cleaning so I offered her a trade in skills - I do her nails every 2 weeks and she does 2 hours of cleaning for me every 2 weeks and no money changes hands...... She has perfect nails all year round and I have a massive help with my cleaning - perfect IMO!!

Does that make me unprofessional? Nope, it makes me smart, we both gain from the deal and I'm not ashamed to call her my friend as well. I know making friends of clients can lead to trouble but I can't help it!

Thanks guys..:hug:

Your so right Yvette....we meet people who become friends in many ways...through work...through holidays....picking the kids up from school....we sometimes just click with certain people. I have many clients who really are "just clients" who i never see outside the salon and its all very professional.....but if after time i find that me and a client just click and get on really well, am i supposed to put up this proffesional wall to stop myself becoming fond of someone...? i could never be that person.

I have read through all the posts and have to agree with what you have done Angie, I would always say trust your own instincts in situations like this.

I love the voucher idea...I may use that in the future!

xx

I think you did the right thing.

I have been a client of my hairdresser for 20 years. We clicked from the 1st appointment and used to go out on nights out together regularly. I used to get invited on the Christmas do's.Through me my mum also became a client as well as friends/colleagues who have asked for her number because they like the way she does my hair.

When my mum was made redundant my hairdresser told her to make appointments on her OAP days so she could benefit from a reduced price, even though she wasn't quite old enough to be an OAP.

When I got married she did my hair for free for the wedding and for the party the week after, she even bought me a bottle of champagne. I was really touched that she was so thoughtful and values our friendship, I know she doesn't do this for all her clients.

I don't take her for granted or expect reduced/mates rates, I started as a client when she was 19 years old and I was 23, I'm still a client but a friend too, you can be both.:)

Carole

Latest posts

Back