Comp practice...please help !!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Please help peeps,
I have had my first attempt at comp practice nails today....
My apex's are off...my white application was too thin i think., as it sort of had a greyish shade in some parts..
I did these over transparent blended tips,
I was mainly practicing my smiles and application of product,
I won't be using the transparent tips again...

Can you compy geeks please help me, I am sure you can see exactly where I have gone wrong,...
I think my brush control wasnt too good either ...
heeeelpppp meeee

I will add more pics in a mo
I thought the rating would work too but it hasnt :cry:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/STA44095.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/STA44100.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/STA44101.jpg

Last edited:
I may be dumb... but are you allowed to tip for a competition?
here (we only have one, national) you cannot...

anyway. for me... the white is wrong. shorter would of been nicer, with this smile line.
but again, for competition standart (here) you need a 50/50, half pink, half white, and a deep smile line (so get to know what is requested before, again, the requirments vary from a comp to another)

there is something wrong overall. I don't know if it is your apex that is too big (on my competition training we use to say : the apex shouldn't be bigger than 2 tips one each other)
the lack of lower arch
or the shape of the free edge. looks like you held your file and instead of making it square, you made it the opposite of a squoval... can't really explain.
it would of made the cut if you had had a 50% c curve, which is also required here.

other than that, your smiles are consistent which is a good point (but again, a deeper smile line is what's required here...)

and your nails don't seem to high shine (which is also required here)
and I think I can see the tip under the pink...

so yes... good leasson learnt... no transparent tips for that.
for one easy reason, you cannot pinch them. so they add this extra bump on the side, and if you buff it all you buff too much... too complicated!!

You said you were esp focusing on smile lines, these are Salon good. check your comp rules to see what they expect (and possibly find picts of the ex winners) to see that
and product is fine too.

for me now you have to focus on...
sculpting instead of tipping
filing... the global shape... pinching if needed, etc.

Thankyou Doorie,

I suppose my "model" wasn't the best either ...she has one damaged nail, that I couldnt work on as normal as it is a little sensitive still (tip of finger pad was bit off by her dog )
Its not so much that one nail...its the way she flinches when you go near the other fingers...as they are near it lol

She insisted on fiddling the whole way through...biting cut off nail tips,....playing with the dog...and then having a massage off my daughter...
oh and the constant leaning of her hand to the side :irked:
Plus....half way through she had to leave to pick her husband up from work lol...

It wasnt the best of experiences I can tell you....but beggers can't be choosers...
She wanted this length (I know I know mingin imo)

Maybe comp practice on someone who actually wan'ts to keep the nails on isnt such a good idea then if they need to be that thin !

High shine...again By this time I had to go and pick my boyfriend up from work this time lol....So it was a quick buff..some rubbish pics and run out of the door...

And you are sooo right about the filing off in the corners, this was really annoying me..
I couldn't sculpt on her as today I knew I didn't have time, she has straight line free edges iykwim, her nails were a beautiful length last week...only she got impatient and decided to remove her nno's herself...tearing of some of the free edges ...a few of them were sore.
Also I want to point out I DIDNT CUT HER SKIN.....she did it herself lol

I don't have anyone else I can practice on ....this is my only lady...
I can't even pinch on her...because of her sensitive finger...and she "doesn't like the feel" ...Oh and then there is her "cotton wool phobia too" :rolleyes:

See I knew I wasn't ment for competitions lmao, I am sooo not blaming my model here although it does sound like I am making loads of excuses hahahaha,
I know its me x

Don't give up before you've even started!

tHe main thng that you need to remember is CONSISTENCY. You will score many points if every nail is exactly the same.

I'm not going to list things that aren't quite right. The best thing you can do is practice! Yes you can use tips, or you can sculpt. I personally wouldn't recommend using glass tips on a p&w comp. Mainly because if you do go a bit thin you can really tell.

I've seen your nails em and they're really good. Get a good model with long nail beds (easier said than done I know). And perhaps even get onto a comp class somewhere, I know there's an Ezflow one with Antony in Doncaster towards the begin of Nov. You'd be more than ready then to enter the Ezflow comp at the north east roadshow!

Good luck hon!!!

Oh and don't forget to practice the red polish hand, I always lose loads of points on this because I don't get enough practice!! xx

thankyou hun x i wont give up i will carry on practising and learning throwing mini diva strops along the way lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Firstly, well done for taking the plunge into the comp arena - go girl!

Your smiles are lovely. If you can make them deeper, great but don't focus on doing deeper smiles and then perhaps compromising on the consistency (something I have done on occasion). I think the length is fine. It is not the Nailympics so you want to keep the length in balance. I think you may have too much product in Zone 2. Remember to thin the tips until they were paper thin before applying product.

Try taking pics from different angles next time as that will highlight the areas needing improvement.

Good luck hun - you'll do fab!

Thankyou Doorie,

I suppose my "model" wasn't the best either ...she has one damaged nail, that I couldnt work on as normal as it is a little sensitive still (tip of finger pad was bit off by her dog )
Its not so much that one nail...its the way she flinches when you go near the other fingers...as they are near it lol

She insisted on fiddling the whole way through...biting cut off nail tips,....playing with the dog...and then having a massage off my daughter...
oh and the constant leaning of her hand to the side :irked:
Plus....half way through she had to leave to pick her husband up from work lol...

It wasnt the best of experiences I can tell you....but beggers can't be choosers...
She wanted this length (I know I know mingin imo)

Maybe comp practice on someone who actually wan'ts to keep the nails on isnt such a good idea then if they need to be that thin !

High shine...again By this time I had to go and pick my boyfriend up from work this time lol....So it was a quick buff..some rubbish pics and run out of the door...

And you are sooo right about the filing off in the corners, this was really annoying me..
I couldn't sculpt on her as today I knew I didn't have time, she has straight line free edges iykwim, her nails were a beautiful length last week...only she got impatient and decided to remove her nno's herself...tearing of some of the free edges ...a few of them were sore.
Also I want to point out I DIDNT CUT HER SKIN.....she did it herself lol

I don't have anyone else I can practice on ....this is my only lady...
I can't even pinch on her...because of her sensitive finger...and she "doesn't like the feel" ...Oh and then there is her "cotton wool phobia too" :rolleyes:

See I knew I wasn't ment for competitions lmao, I am sooo not blaming my model here although it does sound like I am making loads of excuses hahahaha,
I know its me x
ha ha ha...
you remind me of my first comp training, where the educ had a perfect model, did a perfect nail (that was required LOL) and I see my model and she has badly bitten nails... and I'm like... ok... no opaque is allowed usually... hum, thank you I love ppl!! (well I finally was able to use an opaque anyway), and I apply my product keep it all thin, deep smile line, etc, I was quite... half depressed due to my cheap model, half happy to have had the right to use an opaque, and I was testing some products, so well, could of been better.

once I was done with the 10 nails, 50/50, 50% c-curve, etc... she looks and says "they're wayyyyy too long you have to shorten them" I was like... NO! she'd been complaining the whole time, about the temp, the smell, she was hungry, etc...

now as I have been advised, I have a special model, that I chose, with perfect nail beds (very long, long stress area, quite a nice c-curve already, and a nice apex). my comp trainor pays his comp model €500, I can tell you once you compete regularly, it is worth the money to have someone you can count on.

so good luck, and whenever you see in the streets someone with perfect nail beds, ask them if they'd like a free set, you can practice, and you tell them it is for a comp, and so you're sorry but you decide everything, and then you basically just have to shorten it...
and if they say "I cannot have fake/long nails" say you apply and then soak it off...

it worked for me too.

nice job, but, for comps a deeper smile would be better, your sidewalls and cuticles are bloody beautiful, the shorter nailbed on the ring finger gets my goat :) Great quality pics too, well done for posting.

Doorie, when we gonna see some of your comp work so it can be seen, rather than explained ?

nice job, but, for comps a deeper smile would be better, your sidewalls and cuticles are bloody beautiful, the shorter nailbed on the ring finger gets my goat :) Great quality pics too, well done for posting.

Doorie, when we gonna see some of your comp work so it can be seen, rather than explained ?

Thankyou darlin :hug:.....and y'know, that pinkie annoy's the hell out of me too lol...everytime I look at the pics I'm like ggrrrrrrr :irked:

I had another go last night using HD instead of Nsi attraction (which I used for these) and although still not fabulous they have improved...
Thanks to my lovely geeky buddies, sheryl ,Jo, Sian and Hazel...they have helped me conqour my HD fear ....and we have finally discovered last night Its not being rubbish.....its the pink powder !!! Lol,

I can pick up the white and clear prefectly...but that pink omg it will not pick up .....or put down ...Nothing lol It really doesnt like me :lol:

I am struggling with the deep smiles too, It seems to me at the time that they are deep, but then when I upload the photo's Im like mmmmmm salon nails ish ! lol

Im going to have another go when todays "school uniform shopping headache" has worn off .....Using all the advice I have been given so far...see where it gets me,
I am using Nancy nail trainer for now xxx
I will upload piccies xxx

Doorie, I would like to see your comp nails too ! do you have any pics we could see ?

I think you know by now that its your apex making the nail look too bulbous but a lovely attempt. I Cant believe your asking for help, I adore your work and always look longingly at your albumn and think one day that will be me.

Charlotte X

whenever I comp in sculpting p&w, I'll post picts...

but for now I am training in that because the nationnal comp is during the cosmetic show and I am a demonstrator so I cannot go. I don't have picts of my training sets and don't have any new booked for now :|

I'll have a go at it on my left hand later today, but due to my UsB being a female dog lately, I don't know when I have my picts online...

I think that it is hard to practise your comp nails when your model doesn,t have very long nailbeds to start out with. if you would do deeper smiles which i think you defenitly need to do, it wouldn`t look good on her nails. i can`t really come off as an expert here but did a comp. class in febr this year so i thought just to share what i learned.
when you work with tips you need to blend them very very thin so the free edge will be very fine even after applying your white. you can give your tips a nice curve when you put them in boiling hot water en you tweeze your curve in them with plyers. the curve will stay in the tips when you take them out of the hot water. this you can mostly only do on the spot and not in advance.
i think aswell that your nails have too much curve to them which makes them look bulky to me even they probably aren,t
i think aswel that your free edge could be shaped straighter on all of them so they are more consistent
they also letted me know that you can apply nailglue at the small gap between the acrylic and the cuticle so when you buff them you get it to a high gloss even at those small small areas around the skin. havent tried it out yet myself so...couldnt tell you if its true but you could try it out.
i wish you the best of luck with your first comp.

Latest posts

Back