Crazy Nail Lady.......eeek !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailbootik

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a lurker for a while, but thought I should share my recent experience....

I currently only offer Gelish, but have been considering adding Shellac, So I figure the best way is to get my own nails done first and see how it goes..

So I booked an appointment last Sunday, at a local home salon advertising Shellac for £8 plus £5 if mini mani needed.

I get there no record card or any info taken, she looks at my nails and says, dont worry you have great nails no need for a Manicure, why spend the extra money when you dont need to !!

I havent told this lady that I do nails, as i felt this seemed a bit mean and she would think I was snooping !

I did however tell her that I usually have Gelish....to which she replied 'Gelish is totally rubbish, I have a hole tub of it that I never use because its so Cr*p'.

Then she starts on my nails...no prep nothing, I ask wky no prep being done...'you dont need it, I am not going anywhere near your cuticles so no need to remove anything' was her answer !

She cleanses applies base cures etc, she shows me colours, but its NOT SHELLAC she was using ENTITY, I tell her 'I want shellac' as I notice she has bottles of it, she replies 'Oh Shellac is so old now, the guy who invented shellac sold it to CND, and then he invented ENTITY which is a much better product to work with'

I say 'I REALLY WANTED SHELLAC' she says well I have used ENTITY base now so I will paint Shellac on, and we wil see if it cures !!!

MMMM ok I say, really didnt want to get in a row with her !!!

So she did Entity base, shellac colour and entity top coat....It all cured and did the other hand.

I asked her about removal, she said 'JUST PEEL IT OFF'...' huh' ??? I say 'she again says just peel it off, why woud you want to put acetone on your fingers thats just crazy' !!! eeek !!

Then I ask about after care....do I need to use oil wear gloves etc.....'Oh No No' she says 'Thats ridiculous, ofcourse you dont to do any of that these nail will last regardless'

Oh and she also stated she was only qualified to do uv nails .....her insurance wouldnt cover her if she did acrylics or a NORMAL POLISH...WT* I thought once you had your mani/pedi cert you could do any kind of polish !!!!

So I left her place a bit head screwed....I had a mixture of products on may nails, her procedure was totally against what we have been taught, she didnt believe in aftercare or removal, she was using a lamp from ebay, she was charging only £8, I was done in 30mins.....The gaps between the colour and my cuticles is huge......BUT THE CRAZY THING IS.....MY NAILS STILL LOOK PERFECT.....lol, when I do my own with GELISH they normally chip/peel within a week (oops)

I know that was a bit long, but I guess I just needed to share becase the funny thing is this lady was really busy....so i kinda wonder do we do things the right way, or take short cuts, mix products, forget prep and just churn people in and out and make money !!!

thanks for reading....I think I am still a bit head screwed after the whole incident !!

Was it Entity gel in a pot or Entity gel polish?

I can guess where she is getting her info from, someone bitter at CND feeding her total crap. She also tried it on me, thats all I will say...

Elle .. Lol I take it you know the lady?

Marion.. It was in a polish bottle !

As a nail professional yourself, I'd have thought you would've walked out of there. :Scared:

One of two things can be garnered from this appointment:

1. Either you will think shortcuts like hers are okay because the end result looked fine, or
  2. Her total lack of professionalism was so offensive to you that you'll up your own game to a whole new level so no one can ever think of you in those same terms.
I bet I know which one you'll choose... Option #2.

Yes it may seem perfect, but is it really? The product will definitely not have cured properly which will lead to overexposure with time and you could end up allergic to the product.
Also, what condition will your natural nail be in once this stuff is removed? Especially if you peel it off as she advised! There's no way this stuff will be removed as easy as the real Shellac and as such will not be as kind to your natural nail.
I really don't understand why people mess like this when the product does exactly what it says on the tin! Do they wake up one day and think 'I wonder what will happen if I use a different top coat today?' as though they honestly think it will improve the product?? Bizarre.

This is why I never worry when I hear about others charging silly prices for "Shellac".

I know if they are charging well below the RRP then there must be a reason for it, as Shellac is worth every penny.

Cheap prices are a red flag if you ask me.

Thanks guys !! Sure did get me thinking !!!

I was advised "entity cures with any light" therefore I wouldn't touch it :)

I fail to see what the connection is with a thread from 2010!

As for this tale of woe.....I honestly cannot believe that someone would sit and let this 'treatment' be carried out on them.
The fact that the treatment was £8 with £5 extra for a mini manicure should surely have set off alarm bells in the first place. I know I would never have booked having seen that. Shellac/any Gel polish without prep is not a full treatment no matter the price.

I am sure Entity Gel polish is a perectly good product, but if you booked a Shellac appointment then that is what you should have got, if it wasn't happening for whatever reason then you should have voted with your feet...and walked out.

Yes maybe should have walked out.. But hey I learned what my competition is and that I got nothing to worry about !! So yep I spent £8 on a bit of market research ;0) and I had but of a giggle about it once I got over the false info x

maybe you should get a real shellac done elsewhere so you can truely judge the performance?

Yes I think I will do !

Im not too far away if you are looking for someone :) x

Where are you elle ?

Im near Bedford hun, and mobile x

dont give up on shellac based on this tech, it is a really nice product, glad you are going to let someone who will do it properely show you how well it performs.

tigi

Great I may contact you soon x

Pm me if you want my number. And for a fellow geek would be reasonable (usually charge £25 inc proper PEP, oooo CND Lamp, ooooo, Real Shellac, oooo, alas no cuddly toy....... :) )

Latest posts

Back