Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been in for my brows to be topped up and it was empty and she said she's fed up of the riff raff lol. She's never going to up her prices though x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have just seen on Facebook someone offering a full set of acrylics for £8!
I don't offer acrylics at the moment so don't know costs, however surely just in time alone she can't be making any money.
I understand needing to get people through the door, I too have offers but I want to still make a profit. I would think this just encourages those who want a bargain not creating new loyal clients. That price sets my alarm bells ringing quality,insured, qualified?
By the way not knocking this ladies work in any way as have not seen any. It's just the price that has dumb founded me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be scared to visit any of these girls/salons mentioned in this blog with special offers. I do think there should be better legislation, so everyone MUST have insurance, to get insurance you must have certificates to show you have been trained, and salons should be visited by someone in authority, maybe from the council. I have spent a lot of money on my training, I have insurance with babtac, all my electrical items are checked yearly, I have MDS for every product I use, I only buy my supplies from a reputable company, and I have a first aid kit and accident book. I bet these salons don't have any of this, infact I know some that don't even know was a MDS is!

I recently passed my nail tech courses and am currently charging £10 for any treatment however it's just a hobby for me & I work full time in an office so do this in the evenings after work. I just wanted a fall back for if I ever lost my job / don't wanna return to work after kids...

I would be scared to visit any of these girls/salons mentioned in this blog with special offers. I do think there should be better legislation, so everyone MUST have insurance, to get insurance you must have certificates to show you have been trained, and salons should be visited by someone in authority, maybe from the council. I have spent a lot of money on my training, I have insurance with babtac, all my electrical items are checked yearly, I have MDS for every product I use, I only buy my supplies from a reputable company, and I have a first aid kit and accident book. I bet these salons don't have any of this, infact I know some that don't even know was a MDS is!

I'm going to put myself out there but I do know what MDS is :(

I'm in the midst of setting up my own business. I'm intending to be insured, all equipment tested, my home salon a very high standard and, for the record, have spent a fortune on training over the years and even more recently. Maybe that's a bad thing but working for myself is new to me even though I have worked in the industry for 7 years.

Manufacturer Safety Data Sheet. It is a sheet which lists all the ingredients of a product so that in the case of ingestion or spillage the emergency services know what to do.

Just spoke to a girl yesterday who had had her nails done in gel for £5 and the girl was mobile! Was a specially introductory facebook offer then is normally £15.

Personally I just couldnt be bothered with all that petrol and hassle for just £5, could you?
X

I'm going to put myself out there but I do know what MDS is :(

I'm in the midst of setting up my own business. I'm intending to be insured, all equipment tested, my home salon a very high standard and, for the record, have spent a fortune on training over the years and even more recently. Maybe that's a bad thing but working for myself is new to me even though I have worked in the industry for 7 years.

I have to say the only company who told me about MDS was Sweet Squared. Everyone else I have trained with even my NVQ2 course there was no mention of these however I think (don't quote me) they are a legal requirement. Others that I have trained with I have had to ask for them. CND's are available on their website, just shows you how professional they are. By the way I am not saying we are all like this, but I know of people that go out buy a kit usually off groupon and off they go! No insurance and no training! I have had some real horrors through my doors where fake shellac has been scrapped off or filed off people's nails! Or they have been left to sit with their nails in warm acetone bowls and left for 20-30 minutes! Such a mess.

Manufacturer Safety Data Sheet. It is a sheet which lists all the ingredients of a product so that in the case of ingestion or spillage the emergency services know what to do.

Thank you for explaining. Do you document this yourself for reference?

I have to say the only company who told me about MDS was Sweet Squared. Everyone else I have trained with even my NVQ2 course there was no mention of these however I think (don't quote me) they are a legal requirement. Others that I have trained with I have had to ask for them. CND's are available on their website, just shows you how professional they are. By the way I am not saying we are all like this, but I know of people that go out buy a kit usually off groupon and off they go! No insurance and no training! I have had some real horrors through my doors where fake shellac has been scrapped off or filed off people's nails! Or they have been left to sit with their nails in warm acetone bowls and left for 20-30 minutes! Such a mess.

I think they are called msds sheets not mds ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

I recently passed my nail tech courses and am currently charging £10 for any treatment however it's just a hobby for me & I work full time in an office so do this in the evenings after work. I just wanted a fall back for if I ever lost my job / don't wanna return to work after kids...

Even if it's a hobby you should still be charging prices higher than this since you are qualified, as these prices are what devalue our industry x

Okay, this explains why I haven't heard of this before. I'm training next month with CND so will hear more then.

Will also be sure to ask in future for this info, if it's not offered.

:)

Hand and nail harmony MDS can also be found on their website ;-)) xx

I don't think you will have much to fall back on when charging so little. :confused:

Thought I'd seen it all.....till now and this is a salon:
Acrylics only £10
Shellac fingers or toes only £5
Hollywood toes ( shellac with crystals) only £7

:rolleyes:

Even if it's a hobby you should still be charging prices higher than this since you are qualified, as these prices are what devalue our industry x

When I've passed my course I'm planning on charging £20 (maybe a month intro for £15 but thats it) I'm a bit scared because will people want to bother to come to me when they can get the cheap "American Nails nail bar" down the road (masks and all) to do theirs for a lot less.

I must have confidence in myself as a lot of people have said I have a knack for this and I enjoy it so much.

My tutor did say the same to us, If we charge cheap prices we'll devalue our service and the product.

I don't do cheap, when clients come to me they know they are paying for someone who has invested in training, products and excellent service. If folk want cheap, there are plenty places they can go as they are not the client I want. Infact I was contacted by one of these 'therapists' telling me I was too expensive....I may have paid a moments notice to her if she didn't actually advertise herself as cheap :) If you have invested great time, effort and money into your training then don't devalue yourself by being cheap and being known as the cheap therapist. Good luck with your future career x

I don't think you ever get regular clients when you are cheap...they come to you for the deal and the minute they see somewhere else even 50p cheaper they're off. I think we need to value ourselves. Special offers are great at quiet times but not if you're too cheap it's just not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst I've seen is a swanky set up in there bedroom charging £5 for acrylics lol

I'm ment to say skanky not swanky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back