Creative doing VCTC??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scratchers

Reaction score
Hello again,

i was told today that all nail techs will have to hold a NVQ or VTCT soon, anybody that will not hold one of these qualifications will not be able to offer services to the public.

Just wondered what your views are on this, i think it is a great idea and it means that maybe some of the NSS salons will be closed, as part of the assessment is client consultation, and as alot of them do not speak english they would not pass the course!!

I know that sounds horrible and i'm sorry if i offend anyone but i feel it that maybe this cruel to be kind way is the way forward to slowly solving our problems we have to put up with, what do you think???

I was told that creative near me will be offering VTCT next year xx

I know that this has been spoken about for a few years but never made compulsary, except for a few areas in London.

Where did you hear this from?

Just cant see the law being changed to enforce this though - shame really as it would get rid of the poor quality salons out there!

I know that this has been spoken about for a few years but never made compulsary, except for a few areas in London.

Where did you hear this from?

Just cant see the law being changed to enforce this though - shame really as it would get rid of the poor quality salons out there!

Exactly what i was thinking hun, they told me at the creative shop near me today, i'll phone anne swain in the morning and find out more. xxx

well if they make it compulsory and training has to be paid for i hope it is free for techs that have been doing this for a long time as why should our professional conduct be questioned because girls can go out to argos and by all the rio products and set up a salon in there bedroom and call them selfs nail techs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes my blood boil.

me thinks a cup of camomile tea is needed lol

xx

I'm not sure what is going to happen, but what I do know that is........

Life in the Uk is no longer what I want - I see lots of my friends emigrating to places (Canada, Spain) that understand what life is really about.

Yes, we should have rules and regulations and exams, but just because we don't have the new updated qualifications doesn't mean that we are inadequate at what we do IMHO it makes us better because we have got off our fat/skinny :wink2: butts and bettered ourselves:!:

Right I'm off to have a stomp - 1984 rings a bell - George Orwell - your date was 20 years out but boy were you right :rolleyes:

Okey doke I'm off to bed - catch you all later :hug:

In my borough and a few more in and around the London area, it is already the case that at least one person in the salon needs to have their NVQ.

A lot of NSSs have got their NVQs/VTCTs but it hasn't stopped them using MMA and a lot of NSSs will continue their bad workmanship because they are more interested in the £.

I thought Creative already offered NVQ.:confused:

i had my nails dona at the college near me and had ho;es in my nail bed from them using nippers to remove my nails and these are girls that are ready to be passed in nvq nails so just because they have a qualifacation does not mean they are good at what they do

The college near me which teach VTCT in nail technology is taught by a Creative ambassador which I am hoping to start in September. This means I will get a VTCT Cert and a Creative cert. I think this is a great idea!

Well I haven't heard about anything being MANDATORY for all nail technicians!! Soon or otherwise.

NOR would these qualifications make the standards any better than they already are as long as colleges are willing to pass anyone whether they have reached this mythical 'standard' or not. Peoples ideas of 'standards' is different which means there IS NO STANDARD.

If it was made compulsory to have this basic standard of NVQ or VTCT then those already in business for years would be given the opportunity to take the qualification within a certain time limit ... no one is allowed to take your livelihood away without giving you the chance to comply with whatever regulations there are.

I don't think this will be happening any time soon at all (we've already been discussing it for 20 years!!)

This has been said for a long time kirsty and you can do your NVQ alongside your masters, I had nearly completed my NVQ when i first got a job in a salon and silly me never completed it and now its all changed so i would have to start all over again.

Can i ask if the creative certificate and education is seen as an internationaly recognised qualification as to the NVQ,which i know is?

Can i ask if the creative certificate and education is seen as an internationaly recognised qualification as to the NVQ,which i know is?

NVQ is recognised (by whom?? Who are these wonderful bodies that 'recognise it'? ) for what it is a MINIMUM qualification for doing nails. Creative Master Classes are also recognised by the industry as being the highest qualification/recognition one can acheive.

Thanks everyone for replying now hearing everyones views has mad me really think!!

And trust me it hurts lol:grr:

you all made really good points, when i was told i emediatly thought 'oh no more money for another qualification when i am working my socks off to get my masters, and grand masters'.:eek:

It is never ending!!

The reason i posted this was not to make your blood boil or get you angry but mearly discuss what i had been told (sorry my lovelys). As i thought it would be a great idea, now that i have seen other peoples views it has made me think well 'how will it really benefit us'??

thanks again everyone xx

just because you are trained does not mean you are good.it takes a long time to be a good tech just because you are fresh out of collage does not mean you can do a fab set of nails.There are two many so called techs out there think im trained im good when in fact they have so much to learn..

well all i can say is that my creative training in four hours during a conversion course taught me more about application that the whole of my vtct! hhhhhhhhmmmmm

enought said on that one!

agree 100% with geeg on this one!

Kirsty, it's good to post something like this because it happens so many times! And so many people believe it totally.

My comments:

who are 'they' that are going to stop people providing services to the public? That is a very difficult achievement, even when the law or by-laws are behind 'them'

if this was a genuinely legal situation, there would be loads of notice (i.e in years not weeks or even months) and it would be shouted in every possibe place. There are certain local authorities (mostly in Central London) that require certain qualifications but these have existed for quite some time.

I'm not too sure about the comment on 'NNS' having an NVQ etc! It is impossible to get an NVQ without, for example, a thorough consultation. This cannot be done without speaking English! Associating this with using MMA is also tenuous. MMA is not banned in this country. (I'm sure it will be eventually, but it isn't yet!) There are plenty of English technicians who still believe in MMA but they don't fall into the 'NNS' category!!

The 'Standards', as Geeg has said, are the basic level of skill and understanding for employment. The teacher is central to the skill level, but only at the beginning!

This isn't an exclusive situation for 'nails'! The naff hairdressers, the naff beauty therapists etc all have the same qualifications and standards as the famous hairdressers, beauticians, make-up artists (and nail technicians) in the world. It is the personal skill and how that is used that makes the difference.

Great training at the start gives an individual a better beginning but.......some of the best skilled and creative people have come from nothing.

This isn't an exclusive situation for 'nails'! The naff hairdressers, the naff beauty therapists etc all have the same qualifications and standards as the famous hairdressers, beauticians, make-up artists (and nail technicians) in the world. It is the personal skill and how that is used that makes the difference.

Such an excellent point!!

Kirsty, it's good to post something like this because it happens so many times! And so many people believe it totally.

My comments:

who are 'they' that are going to stop people providing services to the public? That is a very difficult achievement, even when the law or by-laws are behind 'them'

if this was a genuinely legal situation, there would be loads of notice (i.e in years not weeks or even months) and it would be shouted in every possibe place. There are certain local authorities (mostly in Central London) that require certain qualifications but these have existed for quite some time.

I'm not too sure about the comment on 'NNS' having an NVQ etc! It is impossible to get an NVQ without, for example, a thorough consultation. This cannot be done without speaking English! Associating this with using MMA is also tenuous. MMA is not banned in this country. (I'm sure it will be eventually, but it isn't yet!) There are plenty of English technicians who still believe in MMA but they don't fall into the 'NNS' category!!

The 'Standards', as Geeg has said, are the basic level of skill and understanding for employment. The teacher is central to the skill level, but only at the beginning!

Great training at the start gives an individual a better beginning but.......some of the best skilled and creative people have come from nothing.

I love this quote i think it is so true...

Thanks marion for your thoughs, i completley agree with you its not just the nail industry, i think because i only do nails i don't see the other side of what goes on in the beauty industry but i do understand.....

Its like anything when someone tells you something its one sided, but until you descuss it you don't really undersatnd and it opens your eyes, thats why i posted it to see what other people that have been in the industry alot longer than me had to say.

Thanks again to everyone xx

and the personal integrity.

Latest posts

Back