Custom blend on myself - opinions please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Hi all!:hug:

I have today done a custom blend on myself - first time on me, done a couple of practise sets only, so this is my 3rd actual set.
I have used the mixture as it is made up on the tutorials for 'Cool Quartz'. I'm quite pleased with the coverage etc.
I have used the white sparkly mosaic powder for zone 1 out of the Metro pack - city of peace? It's a fab powder to work with, even i thought my smiles were better!
All comments/tips & advice gratefully received!

(I know the pinky needs to come in at the side a bit with the file, i've done that now.)

Thanks all! xx

Attachments

• resized custom blend.jpg
    resized custom blend.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 377
I think they look MARVALOUS!!! Very very pretty!

Wish mine looked like that - my smile lines are more of a grimace than a smile - yours look feb.

Is the length of the white a little too long for the overall length?

Colour looks great though!

oey said:
Wish mine looked like that - my smile lines are more of a grimace than a smile - yours look feb.

Is the length of the white a little too long for the overall length?

Colour looks great though!

Yes Oey, I've got to admit the whites are too long - not exactly 1/3 - 2/3rd!
I thought i may take them down a bit.

Thanks for the kind words!

Bev Rose said:
Yes Oey, I've got to admit the whites are too long - not exactly 1/3 - 2/3rd!
I thought i may take them down a bit.

Thanks for the kind words!

no problem Bev

Had to do a double take on your avatar then - what a cuttie!

hi bev,good on you for asking for critique, here goes, yes you need to bring the pinky in and you could bring the others in a bit also, I would agree there is to much white and the line of light looks out, but the blending in of zones 2 and 3 is good, with no visible over lapping of the zones. so good on you wish my third attempt had been that good:) next time try to get a side view shot in too.

Thanks Jac :hug: all critique gratefully received.
I agree with you about bringing them in a bit. I'll get my file out in the morning and have another go.
I sometimes struggle with this on myself, not so much of an issue with my clients thankfully! I hate to see paddle shaped nails!!! Perhaps i need to turn them round more towards me when i'm filing, maybe this would help.

Oey - I have just changed my avatar piccy to 'Bob' my new puppy & ankle biter!!!!

Bev Rose said:
Oey - I have just changed my avatar piccy to 'Bob' my new puppy & ankle biter!!!!

I bet that also means a few sleepless nights!

I have an old english sheepdog called paddington (piccie in my gallery) who is the biggest baby going and he's 3! The old english sheepdog we had before was called Bob too!

anyway back to nails - I tried to use your example of a faded glitter from your gallery on my nails for my holidays - they looked OK but couldnt seem to get them all to look the same - some of the fade was higher that the others if bthat makes sense. How did you manage it?

Hi Bev,
Looking good. :)
Can I suggest though that when doing custom blend you move your smile line closer to the tip of your finger, that way it creates a longer looking nailplate. I believe the whole point of custom blending is to camouflage any flaws and to also elongate the natural nail plate. HTH:hug:

I agree with all the other geeks white is just a tad long and I think they are quite thick BUT...... smile line is very very good and I would be chuffed to pieces if I did them !!!

these are lovely hun
i had another go at custom blending on myself the other night ...it took hours and looked bloomin rubbish ,i gave up eventually i have now polished over them...i hate them ,i will post some piccies later on ,
but yes i think yours are lovely
also i dont know if anyone else has noticed this or if its just me,but i find my nails look fine ,shape etc... and then you take pictures and from the picture you can then tell how off the shape is or how wide the nails are,although it wasnt visable to the naked eye :confused:

emmsybabes! said:
these are lovely hun
i had another go at custom blending on myself the other night ...it took hours and looked bloomin rubbish ,i gave up eventually i have now polished over them...i hate them ,i will post some piccies later on ,
but yes i think yours are lovely
also i dont know if anyone else has noticed this or if its just me,but i find my nails look fine ,shape etc... and then you take pictures and from the picture you can then tell how off the shape is or how wide the nails are,although it wasnt visable to the naked eye :confused:

Photographs do distort/exaggerate the look of the nails which is why work has to be so perfect if you are doing anything like this for a magazine etc. But photographs do not put anything there that is not already there :lol: .

My comment would be ... good start but next time use half the amount of product you are using and make your whites half again as short. These nails would look a million times more natural if they were considerably slimmed down, tapered and shortened.

Very good use of the custom blended powder in your application .... the colour is very even.

Blending the powder together in the zones is where most people come to grief because they do not layer/overlap the beads but rather, tend to butt one zone up against another. You cannot do this with custom blended powders .... you must overlap the beads just like shingles on a roof, if you want to get an even coloration. well done with that.

geeg said:
Photographs to distort/exaggerate the look of the nails which is why work has to be so perfect if you are doing anything like this for a magazine etc. But photographs to not put anything there that is not already there :lol: .
:green: totally agree i file away thinking ooooh perfect (ish) ill take some lovely piccies,and then "WHAM" when i wasnt looking something somewhere has placed an exta blob of acrylic on my sidewalls :irked: hahaha !
seriously though the amount of people on here (including me) who post a picture and then say "i did file the sidewalls in a little i noticed on the picture they are a little wide" or words to that effect theres loads of us :o

Blending the powder together in the zones is where most people come to grief because they do not layer/overlap the beads but rather, tend to butt one zone up against another. You cannot do this with custom blended powders .... you must overlap the beads just like shingles on a roof, if you want to get an even coloration. well done with that.
this is what i cant seem to do,i did once on my left hand and i was really really pleased with them ,the pic is on here somewhere,
but the set i did on my sister ,and the set i did on myself the other night are just hiddeous, i felt like giving up for a split second...but nope it wont beat me that easy and one day ill post on here a beautiful set ,,,i promise (to myslef i think that was!)
i really tried to overlap it just didnt work :confused: .

oooh sorry hunnie ,hijacked a bit there xxxxx

grafxgal said:
Hi Bev,
Looking good. :)
Can I suggest though that when doing custom blend you move your smile line closer to the tip of your finger, that way it creates a longer looking nailplate. I believe the whole point of custom blending is to camouflage any flaws and to also elongate the natural nail plate. HTH:hug:

I did elongate my nail bed about 2mm - was a bit unsure if i did it too long it would look out of balance and stuff!! But now i look at the pic (which shows every last flaw the naked eye can't see!!) i could of done them a bit longer.

I have followed all your excellent advice geeks thanks so much :hug: and have reshaped and have to agree they look soooo much better - here's the pic....... further comments always welcome. xxxx

Attachments

• Custom quartz resized.jpg
    Custom quartz resized.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 142
oey said:
I bet that also means a few sleepless nights!

I have an old english sheepdog called paddington (piccie in my gallery) who is the biggest baby going and he's 3! The old english sheepdog we had before was called Bob too!

anyway back to nails - I tried to use your example of a faded glitter from your gallery on my nails for my holidays - they looked OK but couldnt seem to get them all to look the same - some of the fade was higher that the others if bthat makes sense. How did you manage it?[/quote]

I can't see the pic your on about in my gallery - i have only done 1 glitter fade which is pink & lilac, but i followed the excellent advice given by a very talented geek called Noticeable Nails here's the link
http://www.thenailgeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/28546-glitter-fade-tutorial.html

They look lovely Bev

Look loads better Bev.

Bev Rose said:
I did elongate my nail bed about 2mm - was a bit unsure if i did it too long it would look out of balance and stuff!! But now i look at the pic (which shows every last flaw the naked eye can't see!!) i could of done them a bit longer.

I have followed all your excellent advice geeks thanks so much :hug: and have reshaped and have to agree they look soooo much better - here's the pic....... further comments always welcome. xxxx

They are much better shorter but I too would have put the smile line a bit further down, just a fraction towards the free edge, then the nails would have looked longer and sleeker, I must say though that the custom blend is a good colour one for you, well done:)

Thanks for all your comments.:hug:

I'm so glad I asked you all, it's made me look differently at my filing technique XXXXXXX

Bev Rose said:

both pics are good but i must admit that the second set you did looks so much better i dont know if its the photo but it has a light more natural look to it. i must say they look quite lovely whatever you did the 2nd time around keep it up. they do say the 2nd time is much better!!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back