Dangerous dogs or irresponsible owners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonicj

Irresponsible owners in my opinion resulting in such tragedies! I feel heartbroken for the family of the little girl concerned, especially since they rescued the dog, hoping to give it a chance! Had the dog been properly trained and looked after from a pup by its previous owner this may not have happened! What's your opinions? Should training become compulsory?

I am a definite believer that a dog is only as dangerous, as it's brought up to be. I have had relatives bring up Alsatians, Rottweilers, Staffies - that have all been so soft and placid, have been around children since they were pups and have been brought up to know who is boss and been trained to a high standard. Xx

I Feel so sorry for the family ...
But I'm not a massive dog fan .... They're lovely but do I want one-no ...
I witnessed a neighbours dog attack the youngest daughters face .... She still has scars 24 yrs later after plenty skin graphs later !!! ... A dog that they had from a puppy who was treated like a child and one of the family ...
For me (and I'm sure someone will disagree..!!!)
A dog is a dog ... And there for a animal ... They attack when scared frightened and to protect what's theirs ... But unfortunately will turn on their own ... Including owners ... However responsible ....
Just my opinion ...

Xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

When we got our Staffy/Boxer cross from a rescue centre, he was about 1 and a half years old. They would not rehome any dog with a child under 5 in the house, and even when we got him, I was wary for quite a long time about being too near his face or invading his space. We were the third people to apply to adopt him - the others were deemed unsuitable for various reasons - one of them was in a flat and he is a large dog.

Whenever friends come with children, we carefully observe them and the dog - they are never left alone!

Caesar Milan gave great advice many years ago. He said with any dog, you engage their body first, with regular exercise, then you engage their brain with training and only then do you engage their heart with love. Sadly, so many people think that all you have to do with a dog is shower them with affection, and they will love you right back. It has taken a lot of hard work and commitment for our dog to truly be part of the family. It definitely doesn't happen overnight.

I think training any dog is a must, and I don't mean so they do everything you want, but so they know who is in charge!!!

I'm a dog lover through and through, but I would never fully trust a dog 100%. So many people just don't understand how a dogs brain works and if Cesar Millan still had to 'check' and respect the breed characteristics of Daddy, then that speaks volumes to me and it's just not worth it.

Very true! My uncle used to train dogs in the army and brought me up with the ethos that a dog needs to know who is in charge at all and you can never trust them 100%. They are after all pack animals and need that structure in their lives.

I have a rescue dog who is now very old, when we had him he was about 9 months old but was nervous of everything except me. We loved him nurtured him and brought our 3 children up with him, 2 of which where born after we'd had him. But and I stress this as much as I knew the dog wouldn't hurt a fly let alone my children I never ever and still to this day trust him 100%. A dog can't tell you how it's feeling or if it's hurt or sore, just like us they have days where they just do not want to be bothered with but they can't tell us to go away. The only way they can tell us is by growling or snapping.

Time and again I see people who treat their dog like it's a human being and yes we are all entitled to treat our animals as we wish but a dog needs to know it's place in their pack.

I feel for all families who have lost a relative as a result of a dog attack and for those injured, but you can't really lay the whole blame on the dog. And before anyone asks if my dog attacked someone I would be the first to say what have I done wrong and to get him put down! As at the end of the day I am his owner and I am responsible for him and should be prepared to take the responsibility for his actions!

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a 7 month old boxer/lab cross, and as much as I love the socks off him I make sure I remember he is a dog and he knows his place - I am the boss and what I say goes.

I've taught him bite inhibition from the day I got him, and I always supervise him with the kids. If he gets a bit rowdy for the wee ones (he's 30kg, an excitable puppy and has no awareness of his size!) it's off to another room, his crate or the corner to calm down with me for 5 minutes. I'm just not willing to risk any of their welfare, he's not even to knock the two year olds over by accident!

I see people all the time with their dogs uncontrolled, off the lead , not even a collar and aggressive. Tesla has been bitten 3 times already by such dogs - literally just running up to him (while he's on a lead and halti with me) and attacking us both, it's terrifying.

I fully blame owners. All dog owners should have to have licenses and go to mandatory training, for the safety of other people and the dog!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think that you cannot ever trust any dog 100%, and they should be watched carefully when children are around. Our dog is 10 and our DD is 5 and I still keep and eye on the dog, plus children around dogs cannot be trusted either, I have witnessed many times dogs that have been nipped or pulled who then snap at the perpetrator and I do think this is not the dogs fault it is the fault of the adult leaving a child alone with a dog unsupervised.

As a child I remember petting my aunties golden lab and getting a nasty bite and shake from it and it was because it was eating its dinner at the time, I didn't know not to pet it when it was eating as we had not bee brought up with dogs but ultimately I had been left alone with the dog with no adult around and thought I was doing no harm petting the dog. This is why I believe 100% that no child should ever be left alone with a dog regardless of breed or size as there is Jo use complaining when something happens.

Even a dog thats been brought up well and treated well, can turn on someone, in my opinion.
I absolutely love dogs but I don't have one because I would never trust them 100% with my children.
And I also wouldn't trust my children 100% with a dog, they could accidentally tread on the dog and he would naturally retaliate.

I think we're all saying, (and I'm really glad to see it!) those of us who are responsible dog owners NEVER trust our dogs 100%, especially around our children. We're aware that they are dogs, and so they have a different way of reasoning to us humans!

I train my dog in risky situation management. I suddenly stick my hand in his dinner, make sudden noises etc etc. I expose him to every possible situation and train him how to behave in them. It's hopefully going to make sure he's a well rounded and calm doggy!

Though having said that I heard him growl for the first time ever yesterday - at one of my birthday cards! It has a big picture of two corn on the cobs with googly eyes and big mouths - they must have been looking at him funny! I had to tell him off and turn it round so he'd go to bed - he just sat in front of me staring it down!

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's so nice to hear there are responsible dog owners about, I walk my children across a playing field to get to school. My youngest is a very small 3 yr old, she is scared of dogs, which I can't explain reason behind. But everyday there are dogs running up to us which I hate. The worst was when we walked across to the play park, a staffs which was head height to her came bounding straight for her, her owner called very pathetically for er to come back need less to say didn't work, my daughter at that point was just getting used to dogs and we were controlling her anxiety, my hubby ended up pining the dog to the ground as he was running circles round us and trying to jump up my kids, until the owner casually sauntered over saying 'oh she won't hurt you, I'm a child minder!' Sorry but when a dog is running full pelt to my child I do no immediately think about what your job is!!!! She got a few choice words from us! Anyway I completely agree with licensing and training being compulsory. Too many of these stories have been In The news recently and it makes me feel sick to think what could happen. Not to mention owners who do not pick up the mess their dog leaves!!!!

Very true! My uncle used to train dogs in the army and brought me up with the ethos that a dog needs to know who is in charge at all and you can never trust them 100%. They are after all pack animals and need that structure in their lives.

I have a rescue dog who is now very old, when we had him he was about 9 months old but was nervous of everything except me. We loved him nurtured him and brought our 3 children up with him, 2 of which where born after we'd had him. But and I stress this as much as I knew the dog wouldn't hurt a fly let alone my children I never ever and still to this day trust him 100%. A dog can't tell you how it's feeling or if it's hurt or sore, just like us they have days where they just do not want to be bothered with but they can't tell us to go away. The only way they can tell us is by growling or snapping.

Time and again I see people who treat their dog like it's a human being and yes we are all entitled to treat our animals as we wish but a dog needs to know it's place in their pack.

I feel for all families who have lost a relative as a result of a dog attack and for those injured, but you can't really lay the whole blame on the dog. And before anyone asks if my dog attacked someone I would be the first to say what have I done wrong and to get him put down! As at the end of the day I am his owner and I am responsible for him and should be prepared to take the responsibility for his actions!

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

You have raised a good point here. If dogs are in pain, they have no way to tell us other than to growl or snap. I have seen many times, more so with smaller breeds, kid's and adults just lifting them when they feel like it and being very playful, all with good intentions of course. It can be at a time like this that the dog could snap and injure someone and then the poor dog is in trouble. I think there definitely needs to be more awareness.

I love my little dog and she has a sweet nature, but I wouldn't leave her alone with my 4 and 6 year old grandchildren. I confidently believe Elsie wouldn't attack for no reason, but I don't think the girls are old enough to properly understand the appropriate behaviour with dogs. Don't get me wrong, they are very well behaved, but they are children, and with that comes teasing, play-fighting, sudden whooping etc.

I am so sorry for the poor mother who had such a nightmare to deal with. I do feel that the dogs' home she got it from do not appear to have policies in place.

Dogs are not responsible for their actions, the owner is.

All dogs should be trained. I believe you should have to purchase a license to own a dog and have vigorous checks before being able to buy any animal.

My SIL has a pitbullcross and he is the most gentlest dog ever. He wouldn't hurt a fly and protects my children. He follows them everywhere but yet they have such a stigma attached that they are vicious violent dogs. I beg to differ.

My pops has a staffie who is soft as anything and he also protects my children.

Dogs should be not be persecuted because of bad decisions. I'm sick of certain dogs been slated constantly.

It's not the dog it's the owner, end of!

Just to point out, it's not just dogs that you can't trust 100%, all animals are the same! humans included!

I've had this argument with my mum who says all dogs should be muzzelled when out NOOOOOOOO. I keep say a puppy is never born nasty it's how it's brought up and I would never leave any child with a dog on their own whether its a little fluffy or a big dog. I have three bull terriers and I get mad at people who free run their dogs mine are always on leads and never let off but if there dogs ran up to mine and things started off because mine are bull terriers im to blame for having dangerous dogs and walking them in public!!! same with children they must be taught not to just run up to a dog to stroke it even if it's a fluffy the way some children run up to them it can startle the dog and it can turn round and nip.

Totally agree! My dog's always on a lead, but I've had some quite aggressive off-the-lead dogs threaten her.

In defence of the its the breed logic You see nasty small dogs all the time, if a big breed behaved that way its dangerous if a small breed does it's laughed off. They wouldn't be laughing if it was a Rottweiler. So I don't think it should be taken lightly either.

My dog is a rescue dog, he has never been around children (I don't have any) if my friends bring their child round he is locked upstairs, or in the kitchen behind a baby gate. To me, its not worth finding out the hard way. If a strange noisy little person comes running in to his house screaming, playing with toys, pulls him I expect he will react (its not normal to him) even if it is just to play, he is a strong dog & being playful he still has the power to knock a toddler over easily.

I know I can pull his tail, take his food, toys, bones away & it causes no issues, I can tell him "on your bed" "wee wee" & he does as he is told.

Id never assume any dog to be ok with children, or other dogs for that matter.

I HATE it when people walk their dogs off the lead in a public place. When a child is scared it runs, when a dog see's someone running, it chases. Its natural instinct to catch & stop what ever is running away. Which is why they have been used for hunting for years.
Dogs play fight to gain dominance it is just a recipe for disaster. Id be much happier with designated dog parks, & it being illegal to walk your dog off its lead anywhere else.

Mine is on a lead whilst out of the house, & I avoid situations like walking him at 3-3.30pm when the school children are walking around. I take full responsibility for my dog & in my eyes prevention is better than a cure.

Xx

I'll have my little say.Now dogs are dogs at the end of the day they can not be trusted 100%.my bullmastiff has had intense training over for 2 years and he is a lovely young boy but I don't trust him 100% not I'll give u sitiations where I don't trust him 100% ......fireworks he is so scared of them,anxious,worried,scared etc he pases around real bad eyes wide etc when he's like that we let him get on with it we stay away.If he wants comfort he will fined us.when dogs are frightened they display all sorts of behaviours.Another is if he has had to have a certain medication that can make them unpredictable we stay away again if he wants comfort he will fined us.

We don't have hords of children in the house as I would rather not,I don't let my child run around like a loon in the house,she knows not to get in his face,she knows not to lay all over him,she knows not to pull at him,she knows not to wined him up.

She does feed him,make his meal up,give him treats,does the same training techniques as us,she plays an active part in his upbringing.

We don't leave them alone together.We do everything we possibly can to prevent such situations occurring and hope that a situation never arrises.

I think anyone who has a pup or dog needs to train there dog apropriotly and there should be work shops for new owners and there children to try to prevent these bad things happening.x

I am a massive dog lover and my little Shi Tzu Riley is 16 yrs old and we've had him since he was 8 weeks old. We treat him like a God and he has the most gentle nature. Would I trust him near young children? No! Why? Because he's an animal and I can't read an animals mind. Even a small dog could have a child's nose off in a flash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back