Dangers of gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I worked in a Hairdressers as hairdresser a lot of the older ladies would bring there own shampoo and conditioner with them they were all good brands of professional produce or chemist shampoos and not once did we turn someone away they still pay the same price and we used less product.

These ladies would be in every week having there sets or cuts and every 4 weeks for there tints they were lovely clients good money makers.

I don't disagree at all. :biggrin:

How is it "foot in mouth" it's my opinion and I stand by it and having worked in two very respected and long standing salons who would never dream of using anything other than the products we choose and have researched I feel my opinion is valid. yes we had the occasional prescribed shampoo which is fair enough, as for the shampoo and set thing our bread and butter clients were all cut and finishes and ladies who trusted our opinion enough to spend money on the products we, as professionals reconmendz
There Is a big difference between "straight talking" ( I'm a Yorkshire lass so have a degree in it) and shooting someone down, by saying I have "foot in mouth syndrome" or "jumping in with two feet" you are implying that your opinion is above and beyond mine, my employer (who has just celebrated 40 years in the business) and many of the experienced professionals with whom I have the pleasure of working with, not to mention my clients who spend £100 services every five weeks AND on products and styling tools I/we reconmend.

One final time . I did not state an opinion.

Two .. you did not know the facts before you stated your opinion and had you done (ie that I use this shampoo for medical reasons) maybe none of this 'conversation' would have taken place at all as under those circumstances according to you, you obviously would not have refused to use my shampoo had I brought it in. So you did jump in with both feet and it backfired.

Three, how you run your business is YOUR business but not necessarily a model for others to follow as ridgedly as you do, as circumstances differ because we are all individuals.

Over and OUT. :green:

How is it "foot in mouth" it's my opinion and I stand by it and having worked in two very respected and long standing salons who would never dream of using anything other than the products we choose and have researched I feel my opinion is valid. yes we had the occasional prescribed shampoo which is fair enough, as for the shampoo and set thing our bread and butter clients were all cut and finishes and ladies who trusted our opinion enough to spend money on the products we, as professionals reconmendz
There Is a big difference between "straight talking" ( I'm a Yorkshire lass so have a degree in it) and shooting someone down, by saying I have "foot in mouth syndrome" or "jumping in with two feet" you are implying that your opinion is above and beyond mine, my employer (who has just celebrated 40 years in the business) and many of the experienced professionals with whom I have the pleasure of working with, not to mention my clients who spend £100 services every five weeks AND on products and styling tools I/we reconmend.
Excuse me yes I did shampoo and sets and also everything else many women would spend hundreds in our salon so don't you do to me what you have been moaning about others for which they actually haven't done.

I also did my training in goldwell in London so yes i trained and worked with experienced professionals.

What if someone was allergic to your shampoo or made them itch like crazy would you just say ohh well and not deal with it because you have your brand of shampoo that you use in the salon.

I made a simple comment that yet again you have taken completely outa context.

A lot of my clients would be absolutely fine with our shampoo but others wouldn't be the shampoo they would bring in was professional shampoo not herbal essence or tesco value.

I think every body has an opinion and that is fine you are getting your panties in a twist about nothing take a breath and chill

Am going for a really great meal tonight...although I love this restaurant and have eaten there for 14 years I always take my own special Cajun seasoning. I just don't quite trust their judgement and experience....... Out and out Claire

Again if there is a medical reason!!!! Jeeezzzzzz

As I said if you have a medical reason you can't use shampoo that is different!! Look back at earlier posts where everyones opinions are shot down and people a be littled because they don't agree! It's an open forum for opinions of which everyone has and everyone is entitled too!

I think you are completely missing the point. It's not about trust - it's about an interactive relationship. As with other professionals, our relationships are collaborative - I respect their training, education and experience, and they respect my personal needs and preferences. I bring my own products to my hairdresser because it is a difficult to find brand that works really well with my hair, but that they aren't willing to use on everyone. If she thought it was not a good product for me she'd tell me. I don't bring my own blow dryer or combs, however. My hairdresser is fine with it, more than fine, she likes the stuff.

With my nail tech, I occasionally bring my own lacquer, first, because if I've got something new and interesting from my travels, I want to share it with her and secondly, because I want to have that colour at home to do touch ups. My nail tech is great on sanitation so I don't feel the need to bring my own implements, but sanitation issues is one big reason I became a DIYer.

As a nail/hair client not a pro I have to say I would not have realized the uproar of requesting the use of either my own tools or shampoo. The biggest issue I could find with waxing related issues would be the inconvenience! No harm in asking, I've always thought though. If I was told no id either decide I could live with what they are offering and accept it, or take my business elsewhere. World keeps turning.

Unfortunately where regulations don't exist or are not enforced (remembering we are all coming from many diff countries) it makes it difficult for clients AND techs to agree/adhere to/and uphold standards within the industry. I would suspect les misinformation and greater repercussions for those practicing poor health and safety would result in greater respect in our industry - which most of us here I would think deserve.

To raise an issue that should die... I also found some off Gigi's comments and posts abrupt, belittling and offputting initially after joining SG. However after enough lurking I realized I had misinterpreted what I know know to be, yes a straight shooter, who has the experience and success to back the matter of fact statements ... As well as a willingness to devote time to sharing knowledge, which is why these boards work. Also I suspect to be slight frustration on occassion with ppl who don't take enough pride in what we do to want to get it right. Although I should not speak for anyone else. Just my thoughts after reading all Gigi's posts one early morning.

I don't say this to leap to anyone's defense, as Gigi obviously can handle herself. Rather that i initially found you quiet scary Gigi! *blush*

If you came to me with your own shampoo then u would say "why do you use this shampoo?" if it was just a case of getting on better with it then I would offer free sample of our shampoo and make it my mission to find a product from out range which left them above and beyond happy. This ( in my opinion) is great customer service not just nodding and agreeing with what the client says, after all we know best. If a nail client cane to you with a competitors product which you felt was inferior would you just use it? Or would you question their decision and endeavour to find an alternative? Shampoo is the building blocks of all hair and Using the wrong one can make or break a blow dry. Also the styling products I use depend some what on the shampoo conditioner I have used.
With respect to sterilising equipment ALL tools should be barbed between clients, if you drop something it is washed and at the end of the night everything should be sterilised...on the hair front my bug bear is dirty towels which are used all week on client after client before washing them!! Invest in biodegradable disposable towels!!!

And a bottle of sterrilising hand gel on sections (hair nails beauty) is a must!

And a bottle of sterrilising hand gel on sections (hair nails beauty) is a must!
There is no such thing as a hand gel that can sterilize. It may disinfect but absolutely cannot sterilize. You cannot sterilize hands or anything that is living or you would kill it.

You know full well what I meant so stop being pedantic lol

Wow.

What were we supposed to be talking about before it all became petty and ridiculous?

I'm out.

Wow.

What were we supposed to be talking about before it all became petty and ridiculous?

I'm out.

Good question. But we are here to teach and teaching means being pedantic if new ones are going to learn the facts. Facts and pedantic go together.

You know full well what I meant so stop being pedantic lol

With all due respect, some of us on this forum are educators, so it is actually very important that we are pedantic! Terminology can be so muddled in the hair, beauty & nails industry, causing so much confusion - a scary number of people don't seem to know their sanitising from their disinfecting, or their disinfecting from their sterilising - that we are really rather passionate about keeping terminology correct. this is especially important on a forum such as this, where there are so many new and aspiring technicians reading threads and absorbing as much information as they can.

It's an open forum for opinions of which everyone has and everyone is entitled too!
That may well be but... and its a big one. This is a post in the Nail geek. You do not state on your profile that you do nails just hair.
This post is about the dangers of gel nails. Not what shampoo etc etc everything that you have brought to this post is completely off topic and uncalled for.
And it is you who is being rude here no one else.
I suggest that maybe you go back to the hair forum and stick to what you know rather than something you dont know.
As Gemma stated there are many educators commenting on this thread and your input has not been helpful in the least way.
Jen

I can not believe that a nail related discussion, from my point of view, has been turned into an attack on someone's character just because she stated facts and used something from her own life as an example by someone who is not even trained in nails.

There is a smiley on another borad I use which says "Do Not Feed The Troll" and I think it would fit in here perfectly. No matter what is said, the Hair Geek will find fault with it, so best just to ignore the indivial that has no place in the Nail Geek forum.

I can not believe that a nail related discussion, from my point of view, has been turned into an attack on someone's character just because she stated facts and used something from her own life as an example by someone who is not even trained in nails.

There is a smiley on another borad I use which says "Do Not Feed The Troll" and I think it would fit in here perfectly. No matter what is said, the Hair Geek will find fault with it, so best just to ignore the indivial that has no place in the Nail Geek forum.

Well said x

I would not have a problem with people bringing in something like their own nail polish, clients have done this before as they have a colour they like, I also have taken in my own shampoo to my hairdresser as I have a brazilian blow dry so have to use the correct shampoo afterwards. She is fine about it and Im sure happy as she is saving a bit more money :suprised:, but I absolutly agree that they should not bring in their own nail tools into a salon. But if I was going to get my nails done I would ask for a new nail file. I dont want one that has been used on someone elses toe nails before me, sanitised or not.

I am afraid though that I stand by what I have said that I think the standard of hygiene in some salons is shocking and not just in salons run by north american girls. I too have seen bit floating in barbicide jars, dirty nail files, foot files used on everyone etc.

I do electrolysis so am required to sterilise my tweezers, but I still believe that all metal tools should be sterilised as I am sure that my experience of being cut at the beauty show is not an isolated one, Im sure many have done it and in that case sanitising is not enough. In a previous post I was told if I was worried about this dont get my nails done at a show, I was horrified what she did with the nippers she cut me with, I did not expect to see that from a professional educator.

I did once have a client ask if she could take her electroysis needle home and bring it back next time to save some money!!!!:rolleyes:

Some people may think this is overkill but I am happy with my level of hygiene and so are my clients, the number of people who have reported back stories from other salons and spas when they have gone too are shocking.

That they would and yes, I have sent, i DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE TO THE SALON ("Peluqueria Georgette" in Moraira best salon on the Costa Blanca - and no, I do not profit by saying so)

By the way, the Shampoo I take is in a 32 oz professional pump, because it is a professional brand from the States ... it's not Head and Bloody shoulders! :lol:

The brand is called Euphora and contains no petrol chemicals or SLS or water ... where normally there would be water, it is replaced by aloevera. It is only sold to independent salons in the USA ... not only is it a fabulous brand, hairdressers do NOT get dermatitis from using it and my scalp doesn't itch any longer and (who knew??) My hair is actually shiny and in great condition and I NEVER use a conditioner of any kind and only need my hair washing once a week. No wonder I take it with me. Eufora International

If its that good, your Salon should maybe invest for all clients, think al try myself, a get terrible itchy scalp from hairsprays!

Latest posts

Back