Dealing with interrogation regarding products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candystarrstarr

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wondered how you all deal with certain customers who have obviously come to have there nails done just to find out about the products you use and blatantly ask you questions about everything you use - where you buy them from? how much you training was? where u trained? how much your kit cost? what is the price of your gel per pot? what glitter do you use? where do you buy it? The list is endless whilst at the same time they are telling you that a "family member" or "friend" is thinking of starting out or some are right out there and just say they want to start doing nails! Is it just me that
gets irritated by this? After all I have spent a lot of time and money building up my kit and I'm still building a client base I really don't want people coming along and trying to copy what I do!

I find it embarrassing when people ask as I don't want to be rude so find myself answering questions I really don't want to :( politely trying to avoid giving them to much info.

How do all of you deal with people like this? I even have friends messaging me on facebook asking about starting out and it just annoys me!

Rant over lol x

I tell em it costs alot more than your paying! X

When people ask me where our products are made, I tell them I am not willing to give up our supplier, and they can certainly understand that. It takes hours of research, and hundreds of dollars in training, and they need to do their research the hard way. There was no free ride for you, and if they want it bad enough, they will find their own way through.

I agree it can be hard to not answer, though. You just have to pre plan your answers so you don't get trapped into giving up information.

I always answer as follows: I buy my equipment / supplies as professional stores where people not in the industry have no access to. I only buy everything intended for professional use. If they ask for prices, I actually exaggerate and don't really give them the direct answer but always say that if my kit was stolen I would loose thousands of euros - which is actually true.
If they ask about my training however, I direct them to places I trained at and give them feedback on my experiences as well. Normally it puts them off once they find out the price of training alone... They probably think that everything comes free of charge xxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

it is annoying I agree totally! just take it as a compliment that you are obviously that good at your job that people are envious and want to follow in your footsteps! just a different angle on it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

laugh and say if i told you that i'd have to kill you.

If and when I have ever been asked I always tell them I get them directly from the manufacturer, and that they only sell to qualified nail professionals. If they want to learn to become a nail professional I'll happily tell them where I trained. If they want to know how much money I'm making, I'll tell them with a smile on my face to get qualified and buy the same products as me and then they'll know.

I really don't have a problem with ladies wanting to become a 'nail tech' - at some point we all wanted to be in the industry and sought advice from somewhere, and I'm confident enough in my own skills not to worry about a bit of potential competition.

If and when I have ever been asked I always tell them I get them directly from the manufacturer, and that they only sell to qualified nail professionals. If they want to learn to become a nail professional I'll happily tell them where I trained. If they want to know how much money I'm making, I'll tell them with a smile on my face to get qualified and buy the same products as me and then they'll know.

I really don't have a problem with ladies wanting to become a 'nail tech' - at some point we all wanted to be in the industry and sought advice from somewhere, and I'm confident enough in my own skills not to worry about a bit of potential competition.

Exactly! I don't see any problem? If you use professional products bought from a reputable supplier, you've undertaken good education and continue to do so then what's the big secret? If you have you'll know it's not that easy. They won't be trying to steal your clients next week!

I always tell them the whole ugly truth - about how many hundreds it cost me to train, the thousands I've spent in products, the struggle to make sure your business is successful.
And the hardest part for me that even after 2 years of running a good business and a healthy business account, you need 3 full years of accounts before any bank will even look at you for a mortgage, and I can't even afford a pair of louboutins as a consolation! Haha

Most people think, as I'm sure we all did, that all you need to do is train and get some stuff and you'll be making well over your 15 grand a year office job income within about 6 months.
The reason I feel the need to put people off is because when I've pushed people to go for it before, they've forked out their thousands and given up after a few months, then I feel bad!

Exactly! I don't see any problem? If you use professional products bought from a reputable supplier, you've undertaken good education and continue to do so then what's the big secret? If you have you'll know it's not that easy. They won't be trying to steal your clients next week!

I'm not saying I have a problem with people wanting to become nail techs! I just wish people wouldn't ask me certain things I use calgel and unless you are trained with them you can't see the prices of products. I guess where I am relatively new to this I'm not as confident as some of you and I don't currently have no where near enough customers to be able to do it as even a decent part time job! But I do want to get there so yes I do feel a little intimidated when people try to find out about every single thing I do do, I take pride in certain products such as my glitters and everyone is always trying to find out what ones I use, the other day I even had a client sticking her hands in my kit (she had already said she wants to do nails and had asked about awhere i get my glitters) picking up my glitters looking to see what the names where so she could get them!! And I've even seen some of the girls who have asked doing no training and then advertising on fb doing there friends copying my work when I'm struggling to start out myself. So yes i do have a bit off a problem with it.

Maybe one day when I have a full client base and I'm as confident as you I won't but right now it's hard for me I don't need people stealing everything I do! X

I don't have a problem with people asking these questions - its the way some of them go about it that I think is just plain rude!

Why do they think it's acceptable to book in as a customer then feel its OK to interrogate you as if you are completely dumb and have no idea what they're up to?

If they were up front about it then that's a different matter.

Just look at it this way, they are at least paying you to interrogate you and accept that it is always going to happen. Have your stock answers prepared without being rude and you can tell them whatever you and your conscience feels like telling them - depends how naughty or how helpful you feel at the time.

just say that the start up costs are thousands which includes training and starting up and that you only buy products from professional suppliers, no need to say any more x

No, it's not a big secret but why can't they be straight about it and just ask how do you go about it.

That I have no problem with -pointing someone in the right direction .

But querying the costs of products and services is just plain nosey and none of their business , they wouldn't be very forthcoming with answers if they were asked how much did they earn a week or how much was their rent or whatever.

I tell people where's best to train and an average of what products cost - if they're not serious about it, the cost of it all would soon put them off!

Just the same as you don't have a massive clientele, they wouldn't either and you will always be a few months ahead of the game as you've already started, they haven't!

I do remember the feeling you've got but in all honesty, knowing costs etc doesn't make someone a good tech - give them the advice and then carry on perfecting what you do - I did (and still do) and those people who asked questions/nosied into my work life are plodding along in their original day jobs & buying cheap home kits... and of course coming back to me once they realise cheap isn't good!

I absolutely hate this. I used to grudgingly tell the price of everything they asked me until someone gave me good advise. Just say 'Well basically what you see is X thousand, and thats not including training. But some of my regulars then had the cheek to ask me to order professional lamp and products from my supplier for them!! I told them no outright but they didnt take it very well.

If I didn't like them I would just tell them to Google xxxxx nails ... Some cheap nasty brand and if I cared about their development as a nail technician I'd tell them to google CND in the UK (I.e. Sweet Squared). Otherwise I would not get caught up in a discussion at all.

have been here a few times..

its usually after they have told me about another tech they have been to and then i get quizzed on what products i use and do i get them online.. oooo fishing.. a great sport..

i just tell them they are professional products and yes expensive, and then casually change the subject lol..

Sarah x

Hi everyone

Just wondered how you all deal with certain customers who have obviously come to have there nails done just to find out about the products you use and blatantly ask you questions about everything you use - where you buy them from? how much you training was? where u trained? how much your kit cost? what is the price of your gel per pot? what glitter do you use? where do you buy it? The list is endless whilst at the same time they are telling you that a "family member" or "friend" is thinking of starting out or some are right out there and just say they want to start doing nails! Is it just me that
gets irritated by this? After all I have spent a lot of time and money building up my kit and I'm still building a client base I really don't want people coming along and trying to copy what I do!

I find it embarrassing when people ask as I don't want to be rude so find myself answering questions I really don't want to :( politely trying to avoid giving them to much info.

How do all of you deal with people like this? I even have friends messaging me on facebook asking about starting out and it just annoys me!

Rant over lol x

I have to admit I'm completely guilty of this I once attended a spa party and could not get enough information on how everything worked I was not in school yet but I was obsessed with any info I could get....that being said I still go back to every spa party and get pampered because I love it :)

No matter what she told me I had to take the proper steps either way!!!

I had these questions a lot when I had a salon. I used to just reply (whilst "smiling") "well my last course cost me well over £9000", and change the subject immediately! To see the look on their faces was immense lol. They didn't know the course I was referring to was permanent make up lol.

I'll tell you all my information if you tell me all of yours first.

So, how much do you earn
How much does your husband earn
How much is your Mortgage
Who is the mortgage provider
How much is your shoppping bill
How much is your Electric bill
How much did you pay for your holiday

Oh! You think I am asking personal questions? You are right, I am so sorry.

What colour would you like for your nails today hehehehehehe

Latest posts

Back