Dermalogica changes....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zingara

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been contacted by a very distressed friend who normally uses Dermalogica Anti Bac Skin Wash, but when she went to her usual salon to buy some more in the week they said it has changed name to Dermalogica Clearing Skin Wash.

She was assured they were identical products, but she said it feels different, smells different and her face has broken out badly in tiny white spots.

Her usual salon is closed this week due to holidays and she is most upset. I am not a Dermalogica stockist so am not familiar enough with their products to pass comment, so I said I'd try and find out if anyone knew if these products were the same and something else was the culprit in this case, and we could then get a better idea of what to do.

Does anyone know the products and if they are the same/different?

Much appreciated.....thanks xx

Not sure if this will help but dermalogica reformulated this product a few months back, It has also gone up in price by a large amount.

It is not the same product as she was previously using

I've heard a lot of people are having problems with the new reformulated Skin Clearing wash. They are breaking out badly after using it. I would advise your friend to try something else until Dermalogica either fix the problem or bring back the Anti Bac Skin wash.
HTH.
:hug:

Firstly as soon as the salon re-opens I would advise your friend to take back the product and complain about the information given to her as it is NOT the same product.

It has replaced anti-bac skin wash but it is a completley different formula. Also (the salon may/may not have given her this information) the clearing skin wash should not be used morning and night, either one or the other. Really they should have re-assesed her skin before selling her the product as it is very intense, I would only reccommend the clearing skin wash to someone with severe acne.

If she has been using it twice a day everyday im not suprised she has had an outbreak as it is very intense. Any of my new clients that start using this product I always advise them to use special cleansing gel or dermal clay cleanser in conjunction.

We have had loads of people complain about the new medi bac range, not just the skin wash. Apparently it is only to be used as a last resort product and only on clients with severe acne. Many of our clients have broken out in red spots under the skin so we gave them a mini facial using ultra calming cleanser and oatmeal mask, seemed to do the trick hthxx

We have had loads of people complain about the new medi bac range, not just the skin wash. Apparently it is only to be used as a last resort product and only on clients with severe acne. Many of our clients have broken out in red spots under the skin so we gave them a mini facial using ultra calming cleanser and oatmeal mask, seemed to do the trick hthxx

Ive not had any complaints but I have been very strict on which clients I reccommend this product to. Ive had a few walk ins that have read about it in magazines and I have had to reccommend alternative products as I would only class them as having mild acne no where near severe enough to be using the medi bac range.

I did a thread a couple of months ago about this range as I used the samples when it was launched and my skin had a really bad reaction ! I didn't realise that it wasn't advised to be used in pregnancy due to the high level of salicylic acid. I haven't used it since but am booked on the course for the products in a couple of months as I really feel it is one of those ranges that you have to know what you are talking about otherwise could end up with all sorts of problems.

Dermalogica do have a policy where if you are not happy with a product, you can take it back for a refund. I was told this in my training.And apparently it doesn't matter how much of it you have used and this policy should be the same in every salon.
The salon have obviously given your friend the wrong product.Tell her to go back for a refund xxx

Thank you all. You've all been so very helpful!

I have fed all this back to my friend, and she will be going back as soon as the salon is back open. In the meantime I have advised her to keep her skin as soothed as possible. I will send her a few samples from my range, of soothing products for in the meantime.

She did say she was served by a new girl (and is usually well looked after by the owner), so I'm guessing someone hasn't done their Dermalogica training!

Thank you all. You've all been so very helpful!

I have fed all this back to my friend, and she will be going back as soon as the salon is back open. In the meantime I have advised her to keep her skin as soothed as possible. I will send her a few samples from my range, of soothing products for in the meantime.

She did say she was served by a new girl (and is usually well looked after by the owner), so I'm guessing someone hasn't done their Dermalogica training!

Let us know the outcome hun. Will be good to hear what they have done about it. xxx

I am a Dermalogica Stockist, the Clearing wash is a totally new product and part of the Medi Bac Range. The Anti Bac Cleanser is discontinued.

The new cleanser is very strong and should only be prescribed to clients with severe acne. Also they have advised that you should provide a patch test on the client. They have said to use a pea sized amount on the neck and check for any reaction after 48 hours. If there is no reaction the client can use the cleanser but only a max of 3 times a week initially until the skin gets used the cleanser. It is very strong. They advise that if the client has discomfort or a reaction they should use Dermal Clay Cleanser.

Hope this helps.
x

Well, just to update as requested. My friend went back to her Dermalogica salon, armed with the product, her skin and the information you lovely ladies had given me on here, and was disappointed in the least by their response.

They were certainly not as informed as I believe they should have been and whilst accepted there may be product differences they stuck to it being very similar, said they had been given no information by Dermalogica than that, and sent her away with a few other samples to try as to different washes and cleansers. No apology or attempt to help her skin.

She had already got some samples of Dermalogica Barrier repair, which I know from past experience, can be very good for sensitised skin, so I had suggested she stop current usuage of the 'treatment' products until her skin has fully healed and she says the Barrier Repair helped a lot

However, after some thought, and rather sadly for Dermalogica, but nicely for me, my friend has, after trying some Eve Taylor samples I sent through, and has decided to order from me by post. She loves the purifying wash and Balancing Cleanser. She has had her confidence shaken a bit too miuch in the salon and Dermalogica, and I know she wasn't overly impressed with the rise in price from Anti-Bac skin wash to Clearing Skin wash.

Many thanks again for your help!

That is shocking about the salon. Dermalogica has a policy (as mentioned above) that they will accept back any product if a client has a problem with it. The salon looses out in no way as Dermalogica even compensate the return postage !!

I had a client buy three of the treatment foundations in different shades as she uses fake tan a lot so is often various shades and then 2 weeks later came back with 2 of the darker used ones and said she wasn't going to bother with the fake tan anymore so could she exchange the foundations or get a refund. In this case the client didn't really have grounds to return the product and im sure if we tried this in boots they would soon send us packing but Dermalogica were more than happy to accept the products back and the client choose some other products instead.

My advice now would be that your client contacts Dermalogica direct as ive no doubt they will insist that the salon rectify the problem and im sure they'd be very interested to know that they haven't given the correct aftercare advice with this product.

Hope she gets her money back :hug:

Your friend has a right to get her money back as Dermalogica has a money back guarantee.

The salon does not lose any money over this as Dermalogica will refund the product.

Get your friend to call Dermalogica and report the salon.

Thanks all, I had already told her this about Dermalogica's refund policy.

She did speak to Dermalogica last week before she went back to the salon. They told her, that in the first instance, she should go back to place that retailed it to her, and come back to them again if there was any problems, which sh will now be doing.

I just wanted to report back as some of you wanted to know what had happened!

Hi all,
i know this is a while after the original post, but i used to use dermalogica antibac skin wash and like yourselves or your friends my skin just isn't the same using anything else i've tried. My skin is quite sensitive and seems to get drier and worse when i use cleansers for acne or a high percentage of salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, yet more gentler ones seem not to work at all :S I know antibac used to have triclosan and salicylic acid, so I was wondering whether anyone had found a good alternative to the antibac skin wash with those or something that they'd suggest to use instead? xoxoxo

Latest posts

Back