Dermalogica Price Increase

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone.......

I am new to this, so please bear with me as this is my first post, (im hoping im doing it right).
I have been a Dermalogica stockist for some years now and quite frankly I am appauled at the way we are all being treated.

The company took on accounts on the pretense that it was completely professional, that it would never be sold in dept stores or on ebay blah bla need I go on....
But they are just milking the name now and dont give a damn about us little people anymore....... well, unless we are putting orders in as they are more than happy to take the cash of us!

The whole company has an air of its own self importance and its just about them, and even the owner is miling her own fame now by turning the comapany into the 'Jane show' never missing a photo opportunity with a star or ex-president!
The whole thing stinks and so we need to take a pro-active approach to standing up to them, its ok speaking to the reps but they do jack all, and are scared to death of rocking the boat and saying something higher up.

I have just aquired the email address of the owner and emailed her,
(jwurwand at Dermalogica dot com)
basically demading to know why she is allowing us to be treated like this and demanding to know why she thinks it ok.
I strongly suggest that everyone that is disgruntled takes a stand and emails her too. I hope she gets an influx of stroppy emails and maybe it will make her think twice about what damage is being caused!
It may be a big company (worth alledgedly $100m), but bigger companys have gone under, so they seriosuly need to watch themselves.

So, I hope that everyone that feels as pissed as I do will put 'their money where their mouth is' so to speak and email her too!

I will post back with any response I recieve!

Good luck peeps.

Karen. x

I am a salon owner and stock Dermalogicas full range. I have to agree with everyone on here about their approach to the never ending price increase! We've just had a gentleman in who comes in for three large moisturisers, and left without purchasing none, and he was disgusted when told the new prices. If Dermalogica are this multi million pound company, they need to appreciate that smaller businesses are finding things tough in this climate and not helping by increasing their prices for the second or third time this year!

Alexa - it would be interesting to see what your Rep says when told about that, they are the kind of clients who we as Salons love. If they aren't buying the products something is seriously wrong!

Mat

I had a Dermalogica Rep come out to my salon on Tuesday; I asked her about whether Dermalogica would be stocked in stores such as boots and she assured me it won't be. I have looked on the Boots website and Dermalogica is not on there! I have a friend who works in Debenhams and she has assured me that Dermalogica will not be stocked in there either!
HTH x

The biggest problem is not the Boots / Department stores ... its the online sales and price increases. Ask how many times prices have increased the past two years, and about internet sales. Compare how much you can retail them to how much clients can buy them on line.

Mat

Hi Geeks,

I used to use Dermalogica in my old salon. We were quite a large salon and still struggled to sell the products. When the rep came in to see us she told us we need to be spending £300 a month with dermalogica or we wont be advertised on their website anymore. I thought this was absolutely crazy and useless. If a salon is struggling to sell products, how does taking them off the dermalogica website help??? surely if there is even one person that is looking to buy dermalogica from a salon, they wont know where to get it from if salons arent even on their website!! or is it because there are so many salons stocking it, they cant fit them all on the website??

on another note, i agree with what someone said earlier about people struggling with dermalogica if buying online. how do they know what to use on their skin type without a facemap? i remember using daily microfoliant on myself before i was trained in dermalogica and i hated the product simply because i didnt know how to use it but once i used it correctly i loved it!! same could be happening to clients buying without proper knowledge on how/what to use.

They will struggle in the long run.

Got a letter from them yesterday, clearly sent out to "reassure" salons, saying there will be no more price increases in 2011.
Maybe the message is getting through? I have certainly sold less, even online where I am giving a huge discount.
I have got a meeting soon with the area manager. I pointed out to my rep that their stupid dermalogica only site policy meant that I couldnt promote my dermalogica site to compete with Jersey, as my advertising spend was taken up promoting my main online shop. Somehow these rules are not applying to looksfantastic. Only us little peeps.
Sales of products on my main site are soaring. If I could include the dermalogica it would reduce costs and promote sales.
Their rules were designed to crush salons trying to establish themselves as an alternative to Jersey.

I doubt anything will change, as I feel the company is run by MBA beancounters as opposed to entrepeneurs who partner salons.

Hi Geeks,

I used to use Dermalogica in my old salon. We were quite a large salon and still struggled to sell the products. When the rep came in to see us she told us we need to be spending £300 a month with dermalogica or we wont be advertised on their website anymore. I thought this was absolutely crazy and useless. If a salon is struggling to sell products, how does taking them off the dermalogica website help??? surely if there is even one person that is looking to buy dermalogica from a salon, they wont know where to get it from if salons arent even on their website!! or is it because there are so many salons stocking it, they cant fit them all on the website??

on another note, i agree with what someone said earlier about people struggling with dermalogica if buying online. how do they know what to use on their skin type without a facemap? i remember using daily microfoliant on myself before i was trained in dermalogica and i hated the product simply because i didnt know how to use it but once i used it correctly i loved it!! same could be happening to clients buying without proper knowledge on how/what to use.

to ans the question about clients using the products , they can come in and have face mapping done , where you are recommending the products to them , and also the skin bars which they advocate big time for salons to have, where the clients are using the products, and " getting a feel for them ". Clients are soooo clever , once they know what suits the skin and how to use it , they do think , i might go online to see if i can get it cheaper, with they way things are now everyone is looking for the cheaper option ,and lets face it why wouldn't they ????!!!!

Hi Geeks,

Was the rep still coming after the first year of trading ? I only ask because I was always told £300 spend to be listed on website and £600 plus to get rep support after first year off trading.

I thought the minimum spend for the website is silly, even if you are in rural area with lots of Dermalogica salons there is still room on a map for everyone !

Got a letter from them yesterday, clearly sent out to "reassure" salons, saying there will be no more price increases in 2011.
Maybe the message is getting through? I have certainly sold less, even online where I am giving a huge discount.
I have got a meeting soon with the area manager. I pointed out to my rep that their stupid dermalogica only site policy meant that I couldnt promote my dermalogica site to compete with Jersey, as my advertising spend was taken up promoting my main online shop. Somehow these rules are not applying to looksfantastic. Only us little peeps.
Sales of products on my main site are soaring. If I could include the dermalogica it would reduce costs and promote sales.
Their rules were designed to crush salons trying to establish themselves as an alternative to Jersey.

I doubt anything will change, as I feel the company is run by MBA beancounters as opposed to entrepeneurs who partner salons.

Will they not be doing an increase when the VAT goes up ?

I have closed my account now and a few friends that stock Dermalogica have noticed sales are down. I think clients will start deserting the brand altogether soon. The current online prices have got to be about the same as the RRP was a couple of years ago so doesn't really feel like it is discounted that much.

Dermalogica will not be doing an increase in Jan-when VAT goes up- or March-when they normally increase the prices- for 2011.
That's a good news to me.

i completely agree to all of the above. the price increase is disgusting and now they will allow anyone to stock there products. (a new salon has opened where all the therapists attended the 1/2 day college course and now believe they are competant in the products). i to am looking at going elsewhere for my skincare range. any suggestions? Dermalogica customer services may be shocking but there products are amazing xxx

Three brands I know have big advocates on here: Environ, Swiss Dermyl and Decleor.

Mat

Dermalogica will not be doing an increase in Jan-when VAT goes up- or March-when they normally increase the prices- for 2011.

Well buy all accounts they have done their fair share of price increases this year.

Mat

I am so glad on reading this thread that I DIDN'T go with Dermalogica when I started my new salon... The previous owner did but I decided to go elsewhere (because personally I was never a huge fan of it myself)... Phew! Sounds like I had a near miss really!

personally i am still very happy with dermalogica as a company i know there has been more price increases than usual this year but i still think the products prices are reasonable when compairing to other similar brands, i also think its great they listened to there account holders that wernt happy with the increase and done something about it, none of my clients have commented on the price increase and we are selling as much as we usually do! i think its easy to forget the good points about the company too the customer service is fab, the orders are dispatched quickly, the training is free and very good and most of all the products work.

I have complained to Dermalogica about this, 2 price increases in one year is ridiculous, skin smoothing cream is available online for 25% off RRP. Although my clients are mostly loyal I wouldnt expect them to pay RRP with me when they can get it so much cheaper! Ive lost out on a lot of business due to this but Dermalogica seem not to care about their account holders like they used to! They are going into Harrods & Bentalls in the new year, they are in Healthrow Gatwick & Westfield now, so much for the salon only ethic!
When i complained to my rep she just suggested to promote offers on treatments to get sales going, personally i dont think I should have to discount my services to justify their price increase!
Have you got their loyalty cards? They should help a bit??
Fingers crossed it doesnt affect business to much!
Kx

Is that across the whole range of products or just the retail ?

I must say im impressed if they are going to absorb the VAT increase for the entire of 2011 but as Matt says they have already increased the prices a fair bit already !

Hang on, if a trade price is £10 + vat at 17.5% it is £11.75 at 20% vat it is £12.00.
If the rrp stays the same abnd the trade price stays the same, unless the salon is vat registered, the salon makes less per sale.
So not the generous offer it appears to be.

I have just had another row with Dermalogica. I sent some stuff back that we were overstocked with, and wanted to reorder some of our best sellers instead.It now takes them a few WEEKS to apply a credit. The snotty cow at credit control spoke to me as if I was trying to diddle the company. I have made an enormous fuss about how rude she was.

Hang on, if a trade price is £10 + vat at 17.5% it is £11.75 at 20% vat it is £12.00.
If the rrp stays the same abnd the trade price stays the same, unless the salon is vat registered, the salon makes less per sale.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that; it basically means the salon has to subsume the vat rise in their profit!

I have just had another row with Dermalogica. I sent some stuff back that we were overstocked with, and wanted to reorder some of our best sellers instead.It now takes them a few WEEKS to apply a credit. The snotty cow at credit control spoke to me as if I was trying to diddle the company. I have made an enormous fuss about how rude she was.

Ahhhh I see what you mean, Im a bit of a simpleton when it comes to figures :o

It took them 2 weeks to send me a cheque for the products I returned, then when I did receive it they hadn't signed it, so I had to post it back to them to be told I had to wait another week as they only issue cheques on a Friday :eek: The customer service seems to be going downhill if its to much effort for someone to sign a cheque on any other day than a Friday.

Latest posts

Back