Dermalogica Price Increase

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had another row with them today, and told them to close my account. My rep tells me with great glee how many accounts they are closing each week due to their "rules" not being followed. I figured they would be "whatever" about it.
I have had 3 people call me at the salon today, one being the MD. Turns out my rep has been economical with the truth in some instances, probably to drive sales.

So the new tagline on my skincare site is changing to "cheaper than Jersey"
Whole site will be altered now that I find out rules are not as the rep told me, and different to the original site rules that I had to follow to get approval.
Have still got my account, the company is still mired in procedures and petty annoying "rules" but the gloves are off. If they close my account I really don't give a toss, as it will save me a job.

dermalogica laugh in fact i'll laugh again. this company thinks that, just because we are in a recession that they can put prices up willy nilly. Their sales are down so lets put the prices up. they dont give a great deal of backing. we do all the work for internet sales ie face mapping. My clients are also refusing to pay the prices says that they can buy much cheaper on net.
dermalogica told me four years ago that they would stop internet sales, through salons its ok. i am now finding it expensive to buy and expensive to retail. i know its good stuff but i would question the price as a customer. so out with the old and in with the new. i see someone has a rep whats one of those i've not seen or heard from one in over 3yrs. as the great profet once said in 2011 skin care company making huge proffit will be sold lol :lol:

i agree with all on this an did complain when i got the new price list increase i totally agree with persianista I think dermalogica ARE stupidly arrogant!
They are going into department stores now DESPITE stating that they would be a salon only brand. im a stockist on the wirral an have been since 2006 when there was only 5 stockists there are now 15 close to me im sick to think the one 2.9miles from my account is a gift shop!!!! and not a beauty salon. then an existing stockist who has opened a second salon 1.8miles down the rd to me cut my area completely short. when dermalogica terms an conditions stated if you moving your account or opening a second salon write to us in 7days so we can notify any conflict of interest with existing stockist in that area, to which i never got asked by dermalogica where as i use sothys make up an dont carry there skin care but they rep came in an ask my whether i would mind anoth stockist opening up 3miles away which they didnt in the end but i thought they look after me much better. dermalogica shud take a leaf out of their book!!! my sales are now practically non existant an im fed up with their bully boy tactics but im worried if i change skincare brand whether my clients will stop using my all together as dermalogica as a skincare with out the business side to them is great! but if i change my clients will be like oh? id rather use dermalogica an lose them to the other stockist!! nightmare im going to send an email {again} to america as u hit a brick wall with all in uk as ive spoken to the head of the north fiona!! an they don't care there greedy asses. I have taken little wage the last couple of months cos of them where as they all get paid no matter what. wouldn't mind but with out us there would be no MORE dermalogica they shud pay us lol. plz if you want to rally together please email me on [email protected] to start up a campaigne xx

clarksrevival know what you mean bout hardly seeing a rep i had to bug to get to see mine!!!

I think there needs to be a bit of organisation here! So many accounts are clearly peeved by what they are doing. Someone or a small group need to take control, draft up a professional constructive letter outlining all the concerns account holders have. And then get as many accounts as possible to come on board with it. Talk to anyone on here who has an account, talk to all your local salons and yes even your competitors. Get as many accounts as possible on board. Get everyone to sign up to the letter.

Then send it to the CEO, every board member, every area rep, every area manager. I would also get the contact details of Jane Wurwand (founder), Dan Ginsberg the new CEO (who started his job Yesterday) what a welcome that would be from so many account holders.

So many are complaining to reps but how much of that is being based up to the senior managers? Probably very little! You need to get enough people together so that the top people become concerned that they are loosing accounts, and that the brand is being damaged.

Mat

flawlessly beauty thanks for letting us all know bout debenhams in kingston i asked my so called rep last month when she came to see me over my overdue account!! bout the boots saga. but she told me she hadnt heard anything more about what was happening with it.

i have just sent an email to her saying see needs to read this long list of complaints if you could all write your name you account details an salon address as like a petition lets get summit done over the internet sales an big stores selling it too an overly flooding areas with new stockist too.

The salon I work in stock dermalogica and I find a lot of clients are buying products online. They still have facials n I go to retail to them but they just say that will buy online cause it's cheaper.. We Do a lot of buy 3 products n get a free 60 minute facial etc.
I have been using dermalogica on myself n as a therapist for 6 Years so it is very sad to see them increase the price so much I can't even buy it even with a 30% discount!

I recently sent a huge long email listing everyone's concerns to the head of operations at dermalogica's head office following a phone call from him. I also mentioned this thread. At first my rep had dismissed SG as just competitors and trolls, till I pointed out that I was on it and personally knew other salon owners who are on here too.

I am not a beauty geek but a loyal Dermalogica fan.
I have noticed the huge retail price increases since I started to use the product, 5 years ago. I have also noticed that very few salons now provide the facials and products. I have to do a 50 mile round trip, every 6 weeks, each time I want a facial. This thread now answers my question why!
I used to run beauty centres, a few years back, for a large hair and beauty chain and watched the very same thing happen to Guinot and Elemis.
I am having similar problems with a few hair companies at the moment. They get too greedy and far to cocky in their popularity, forgetting the majority who buy into their product are ordinary, working Joes. The very ones who are being hit in the purse by the recession right now.
What a shame.

I too bought into the hype that is Dermalogica. Paid 10K CND for opening order. Sold less than $200 retail in the first year. Everyone loved it no one liked the price. And my rep was a cheer leader, but not very helpful. I had to go to another city for training so it cost me $$$ for that also. I am now re-opening in another city and looking for another skincare line...but I am working from my home this time, so the choice is limited. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am in Canada.:idea:

Hi Lacey

As I have explained to you, I am struggling to deal with Dermalogica as a company, and have been for a while. As you know, I deal with many hair and beauty manufacturers and distriibuters but over the past couple of years, Dermalogica has become the most difficult by far. The reasons I say this are ;

1.A single supplier, Jersey beauty is totally dominating the UK market due to it’s offshore, tax free status. After my clients telling me they preffered to buy cheap online, I decided to compete. By this time, Dermalogica had put in place stringent rules which I complied with. Apparently Dermalogica the changed its rules, but decided against telling me (even though it had approved my site so it had my email address and website address). As a result I could not compete. This rule about having no other products on the same site has lead to my main wesite doing booming business and my little Dermalogica site costing more in hosting fees than it is making. I cannot afford to promote 2 sites on google and people find the 2 site system confusing.

I sit Dermalogica next to redken and pureology in my salon, and fail to see why Dermalogica supply to hair and beauty salons then insist on this stupid, pointless rule online. It simply adds costs.

2. Two price increases in a year shows a complete lack of foresite. Telling us the rrp will not change with the vat rise is a false flag. The vat rise will now simply erode the salon margin instead. We are not stupid and can do maths you know.

3. Your credit control manager was exceptionally rude to me on the phone last week. There had been a delay processing a return, and she behaved as though I was ripping off your company. I am supposed to be your prtner in trade, not your enemy.

I find your customer service staff excellent. Could you apply the same training in charm and efficiency to credit control and your IT staff please?

4. Your website is difficult to use. I have continually been given passwords which are a string of characters to use. I write them on a bit of paper then lose them. It is far better to let us choose our own or base it on something relevant such as the salon name. An easy change that would make life easier. Your current system is regarded as bad practice by the IT industry.

5. Your Xmas gift set was in no way a gift set I would give. Niche, odd products, however much the skin science boffs say people should use, with FREE GIFT splashed across the front was inappropriate and amazingly poor. It must have been a bean counter who designed that one to try and offload excess precleanse. This year, all the companies I deal with are doing gift with purchase, with great success.

6. Your systems have become very “corporate” and your points system and advertising thing is unfathomable. Could it be explained in English please, without office jargon? We are people who work in salons and deal with real clients. The stupid corporate jargon your company uses gets our backs up and doesn’t succeed with Mrs Average UK.

7. My rep tells me about Dermalogica closing accounts of anyone who infringes their “rules”. This sends out the message that you don’t give a toss about your account holders. When I tried to close my account last week through sheer frustration, I was quite shocked to be contacted and persuaded to rethink my decision. I had believed that your company would be “whatever” in it’s attitude, based on what I have previously been told, both by my rep and your credit control manager.

8. You IT department are extremely unhelpful, concerned only with protecting their own jobs and unwilling to give help or guidance. I was told they would rather not have salons online. Approval for mine was slow, grudging, and painfully obstructive.

9. Your decision to sell in department stores and non salon establishments completely contradicts your original mission. We signed up to Dermalogica because it was salon only. It is now only a matter of time before we see it in superdrug as a lost leader.

10. We have been debating Dermalogica on salon forums such as Salongeek. I, and lots of my friends who own salons are big contributors to the site. Dismissing us as trolls or competitors as You have done is doing you no favours. We are real salon owners and real account holders, and Dermalogica has a reputation of being a difficult company to deal with, run by corporate accountants who have a low opinion of the salons it is supposed to be in partnership with.

Dawn Latham

Indigo hair and beauty.

This was the email sent to the head of dermalogica a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing that with us.....!

So what did they actually say when they contacted you?

As Mat said above..... we need to contact the top!
I have allready emailed Jane Wurwand and guess what? No reply! Its just rude and arrogant.

If anyone else wants to bombard her with emails her email address is:

[email protected]

If we all send emails then maybe she will get the hint that were not happy...
Allthough, Dermalogica was once about the products, from all the stuff in the net and their site, these days it seems like its the 'Jane show'.
Bloody piss poor!

!
I have allready emailed Jane Wurwand and guess what? No reply! Its just rude and arrogant.

Alternatively it could just be that it didn't get past her PA, or that they're on leave over Christmas, or that she gets so many emails it takes a while to respond.
Never a good idea to assume such things.

Alternatively it could just be that it didn't get past her PA, or that they're on leave over Christmas, or that she gets so many emails it takes a while to respond.
Never a good idea to assume such things.

Well it was sent in November and I got a read receipt, so I think theres been more than enough time!

Have you followed up with a phone call?

Mat

In my town Bournemouth I have noticed two Salons on the web offering considerable discounts with free samples and free delivery, unless I do the same I just wont be able to compare.

I started off as a home salon and as you can imagine Im not turning over £300 a month so they dropped me off the website like a hot potato and I also have no contact from them anymore.

Recently I moved to a town centre location and I am slowly getting established, I obviously advertise that I use and retail Dermalogica and all I'm getting is people coming in to be "face mapped" then telling me they will be buying the product considerably cheaper on line! At Christmas I did sell quite a few products but I would say most of the customer's were quite honest with me and said they were only buying from me because the online distributers could not guarantee delivery due to the weather - great!

With all the online sales and now allegedly going into department stores, the whole "prescriptive treatment" and only having salons stocking and using it with beauticians with accredited exams that they deam fit is quite frankly a load of bull poo! Dermalogica are going to lose their exclusitivity,reputation and be just like any other off the counter facial product.

Its a real shame because I do love Dermalogica but am going to have to think long and hard about carrying on as a stockist and look at going for a more exclusive product.

I had the dermalogica rep out to me some 2 years ago and she was ADAMANT that I would call here to order - I didnt and for all the reasons that have been mentioned on here

Dont they realise that allowing others to sell devalues the brand just as it has done to St Tropez(as already mentioned)

By allowing many other stockists to retail and offer in the therapist area to have an account is bloomin stupid, I mean 2 0r 3 in a big city yes - but not in small towns.

Like has been mentioned, its greed, greed , greed. I am SO glad I didnt part with my cash based on them selling to other shops and not exclusive to just salons, weather mobile or shop based

Victim of Greed!

Wait a minute, did you say they gave you a cheque against returned products - i have just sent a load of things back as have decided that i am no longer going to stock 100's of the range like they insist as it is just not cost effective and they have told me that they can only recredit my account??

tbh i think that it is loosing it's "cool" appeal as a brand and totally agree that they only seem to be bothered about the big fish and the fact that they allow internet sites to continue winds me up no end i have contacted them 100's of times about this and they just palm me off with the usual "there's no way we can work round their existing t&c's blah, blah, blah...

Ahhhh I see what you mean, Im a bit of a simpleton when it comes to figures :o

It took them 2 weeks to send me a cheque for the products I returned, then when I did receive it they hadn't signed it, so I had to post it back to them to be told I had to wait another week as they only issue cheques on a Friday :eek: The customer service seems to be going downhill if its to much effort for someone to sign a cheque on any other day than a Friday.

Hi guys, after reading the thread relating to the recent price increases, i have drafted a letter that i am thinking of sending to anyone who is in authority at Dermalogica-could you have a read and let me know any thoughts etc or anything i have missed? :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

Dear Jane,

it is with great bitterness and sadness that I am sending you this e-mail with regards to the way that Dermalogica are treating the small businesses here in the UK by allowing the "robin hood" style websites to continue to trade and undercut honest, hardworking salons by 25-35%.

I am also VERY disappointed that Dermalogica are now cheapening the brand by going into department stores and non salon based retail outlets.

I think you may wish to take a look at the following link http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/123747-dermalogica-price-increase-5.html that is currently running on a website here in the UK that allows you to see just how upset and frustrated alot of your long standing accounts are feeling.

It is your responsibility to listen to what we have to say rather than passifying us with the standard "we are trying to find a loophole" statement, online retailing and soon to be department store sales are crippling the long standing small salons, who are constantly following the dermalogica protocol of face mapping their clients and performing damn good treatments only to be met with the simple words of "thanks but i buy my Dermalogica online" and unfortunately no amount of asking "are you sure it is a genuine product etc et"c makes a blind bit of difference when what the majority of clients are looking for is how much money they can save, yet still maintain there skin care routine.

Recently you have been asking us to support the RITE campaign, which focuses on pioneering women entrepeneurs and i do not see how you have the nerve as a company to try and ask us to support you in this campaign when you are making it harder and harder for all the hardworking, longstanding accounts that you already have in the UK, after all aren't we all budding entrepeneurs too?!

I would be grateful if you would take the time to read, acknowledge and respond to me and the 1000's of other account holders her in the UK that are all going through the exact same day to day battle against the world wide web, maybe a podcast to replace the sales and marketing ones that have run in the past would be useful. Lets start to be rfealistic with regards to this problem, rather than adopting the "cheerleader" approach that is so common a reaction from Dermalogica in these situations.

Latest posts

Back