Dermalogica Price Increase

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big problem is the dumbing down and massive undervaluing of the brand they are doing. They no longer care about the small accounts, only the big ones. They will probably make more money off the combined small accounts then the big ones. And this will come back to bite them as more accs close and less people see them in salons. They are no longer the strong brand they were.

And also I thought they always promoted themselves as salon / professional only. Not now they for sale in airport duty free and department store beauty halls!!

That's a very bold statement!

I speak from my 10 years experience in beauty therapy having done pretty much all the bigger brands training and having worked with an insane amount of skincare companies in the time I've spent within the industry.

I do truly hand on heart believe you get the best results possible with dermalogica otherwise I wouldn't have just opened an account with them that I've spent a small fortune on already.

I'm doing more facials now than I ever have done so this is evidence enough for me that I've made the right decision

I've also worked for make up counter companies as well as large spas and from all the products I've came into contact with, used and trained with I've found dermalogica is hands down the best (I've worked with cream de la mer, origins, ester lauder, clinique, clarins, espa, comfort zone, eve Taylor, Susan monaleux, lush, biotherm, decleor, darphine)

All of my friends who have been in the industry as long as I have and all of the catwalk make up artists I know swear by it as do I.

In my opinion

Unforunately though as we all know Dermalogica is the best skin care on the Market and is the only one I've came across that actually really does what the products say they do and I've worked with espa, eve Taylor, comfort zone and Matis and dermalogica wins hands down.

Not only that but clients who are having facials done don't just want a nice relaxing experience they want to see instant results and know that what they've just had done actually works.

Also the training is amazing as I'm a very experienced beauty therapist and want to do advanced training otherwise I'm not learning anything new or beneficial.

Yes the products are now much more expensive than they were but so is everything else!

We're all paying more for insurance, petrol, road tax, food and pretty much everything. Unfortunately that's England for you at the minute. Dermalogicas prices have gone up because everything else has. Yes it makes it more difficult for us to sell it unfortunately but I'm sure all us have just had a price increase to take into consideration how much more things are costing.

I say if your not happy with the prices you should be complaining to David Cameron and while your at it see if they'll sort out the petrol, road tax and vat increase man ;) x

Well ok if everythings gone up well why aren't they haggling for ingredients etc. And also if they actually looked after there existing stockist instead of give 20% off retail an 50% off professional range when you open an account at the last 2 or 3 shows i've seen that offer at. instead of saturating every single area they looked after what stockists they had!! instead of seeing the pound signs they wouldn't of had a lot of stockists going elsewhere. They forget without the therapists/salon owners that they've walked all over with them changed the goal posts to suit there company they wouldn't be as big as they've been

The problem most people have isn't with the products. It's with the direction and decisions of the business.

I'm in the last few weeks of training at level two in beauty.
I use dermologica as a client for ten years and I was shocked when I went to buy the active moist.

Seriously? Nearly £30 for a moisturiser !!!

In 2008 I had the full one hour facial and I bought the cleanser, toner, scrub, moisturiser,body scrub, body lotion and the shave oil for the hubby and I bought him a cleanser of his skin type. (getting married) had to have the great skin for the pics!

In a nut shell I couldn't afford to purchase that lot in one swoop now as the price increase is RIDICULOUS!!!
in college we can't sell the stuff and we get clients in who will pay for £17 dermologica facial but won't buy the products. I bought two skin kit for £19.90 each before the new price increase was applied, I don't now!
I love the products but I think the prices are incomprehensibly expensive. I would buy the range if there is a deal going. But it all boils down to the bloody price increase.

I can't justify paying nearly £30 for a cream, not when I need to buy my mac brushes and foundations for my kit too.

The local fitness gym were doing buy three products and get a free full hour facial.(2010) So I did, not now after seeing the price list.

Just a consumer ranting as well.

Anyone in south east London doing deals for dermalogica facials or products let me know.
Croydon
Balham
Lewisham etc

Cheers.

Seriously? Nearly £30 for a moisturiser !!!
That's quite cheap for a professional moisturising cream. I don't stock one single cream for that price; they're all higher than that.
I can't justify paying nearly £30 for a cream

That's fair enough, but there are lots of people who can, and it's good to cater to them.

There are lots of things to take into consideration here. Firstly, the VAT increase has affected everything. Secondly, the value of sterling against every other currency, with the possible exception of the Zimbabwean dollar, has plummeted. Thirdly, as fuel has increased it has a knock on effect on the cost of shipping and importing. I import products from Australia and you just don't want to know how much it costs these days.
This all contributes to the price increase.
Yes, we could take a hit on the margin but all this does is prolong the inevitable.
People are in business to stay in business, not to go under, so they have no option but to pass on some of the increase to the consumer.
It sucks, but there it is.

They have lost so much business in the US.

It was one of the two brands we had in school. Instructors exact words were "it's safe, no better or worse than anything you can get at the local retail store, smells better than most, won't do much of anything"

She was right! l We got free kits at school (trashed mine after I graduated). I do NOT use dermalogica and never will. In this economy customers demand results. My customers would flee if I used it.

Last edited:
I speak from my 10 years experience in beauty therapy having done pretty much all the bigger brands training and having worked with an insane amount of skincare companies in the time I've spent within the industry.

I do truly hand on heart believe you get the best results possible with dermalogica otherwise I wouldn't have just opened an account with them that I've spent a small fortune on already.

I'm doing more facials now than I ever have done so this is evidence enough for me that I've made the right decision

I've also worked for make up counter companies as well as large spas and from all the products I've came into contact with, used and trained with I've found dermalogica is hands down the best (I've worked with cream de la mer, origins, ester lauder, clinique, clarins, espa, comfort zone, eve Taylor, Susan monaleux, lush, biotherm, decleor, darphine)

All of my friends who have been in the industry as long as I have and all of the catwalk make up artists I know swear by it as do I.

In my opinion

I hope your still as enthusiastic after your first year of being an account holder, I mean that sincerely btw! I was so enthusiastic when I first opened an account but as time went on I got more and more fed up with them.

I agree the professional treatments are fantastic, its the retail and the prices I had the problem with. I also saw a massive increase in my facials but the retail never really took off. Most people that bought the products didn't even have treatment.

I really hope it is successful for you and their support for smaller salons has improved. Do they still drop accounts from their website like a hot potato if you don't reach £300 per month target ?

hi
I have noticed my retail sales are also becoming affected by this increase and also the internet selling.
I have tried using discount offers and promoting the selling of dermalogica in my salon as sold cheaper then the rrp but more and more clients are buying of the internet.
I think Dermalogica should state one price and one price only so all businesses are equal.
I have considered eve taylor as a second choice for my clients.
Its very disheartening when you have spent time going through the recommended products with the client and off they go to buy off the internet.
more and more clients are noticing the price of dermalogica now.
What can we all do?

Well if they hadnt bloomin well decided to sell in shops then their manafacturing costs wouldnt have gone through the roof like they have.

I was put off from this brand its a greedy brand who relies on their loyal customer and therapist base, but therapists and customers reach a point - enough is enough.

There are some great skin care alternatives out there - even the colleges are switching off dermologica - things aint what they used to be thats for sure!!!!!

Errrmmmm, Elemis's procollagen marine cream is around £70 for 50ml, and they sell bucket loads of it..(I watch a lot of qvc..:wink2: !) so ther obv is a market for expensive creams as Lynne says..

i really don't understand why you do not use a Strictly professional company like Pharmagel, our beauty girl is loving it and she BUYS what she WANTS, it is purley exclusive and retail has gone up from 3 units we sold in 6 months with Dermologica to an average now of 11 units a WEEK, the customers love it.
The pricing is well under half the price of Dermo, do give it a try and i know in the Derby area it is popular as they have regular training sessions for new users, we get ours from Rendezvous in Derby tel : 01332 344233 this where we order from and i hope it helps you guys

1. Deramalogica is being sold at WalMart.com!:mad:

2. There are FAR superior skin care products available to the professional for services and retail.

we do not NEED Dermalogica.

:biggrin:

Has anyone else had a nightmare with the recent dermalogica price increase?
Our clients are really annoyed, a lot of the products have gone up as much as £4.00 and some clients are now refusing to buy the products. The company say it’s due to an increase of manufacturing costs but how comes the products which do not sell as well like the body and solar range have only gone up 5p-30p. We already have been struggling with dermalogica sales due to so many salons opening up with dermalogica, the reduced prices on the internet and the recession and come January they will increase the prices for the VAT and then again in April, how is everyone else finding it?
We are seriously considering bring in another range like eve taylor so when clients complain we have a more cost effective alternative. What do you think?
I love dermalogica and have been using them for 18 years but my therapists and I are questioning whether we would pay what they now ask! :cry:

I know what you mean and have switched to Sesha skin therapy.

In my opinion

Well here's my taupin worth... from a 30 year Aesthetician/Beauty Therapist its the "delivery" of the product that is important anything else is just touchy feel good and not doing the job of correcting what the skin ails from in the first instance anyway. Clients come not only for the relaxation but also for the benefit of reaching a new goal with her skin care.

What she can do is escalate your disquiet to the management. If every salon complained thus it would be stupidly arrogant of Dermalogica to not take notice of it.
If it were me I would be writing a physical letter to Dermalogica HQ asking for a more plausible explanation.
I wouldn't necessarily introduce a cheaper brand, but a different one, which might be cheaper. I'd base my decision on efficacy though, not on price.

Spot On Lynne. You technically should have two other lines at hand but I know that Dermalogica has this contract for 98% of their product line has to be on the floor which I think is backing the owner of the beauty spa in to a corner. I personally don't get anywhere with some of the products when working with skincare that needs more penetration in delivery.

i agree with all on this an did complain when i got the new price list increase i totally agree with persianista I think dermalogica ARE stupidly arrogant!
They are going into department stores now DESPITE stating that they would be a salon only brand. im a stockist on the wirral an have been since 2006 when there was only 5 stockists there are now 15 close to me im sick to think the one 2.9miles from my account is a gift shop!!!! and not a beauty salon. then an existing stockist who has opened a second salon 1.8miles down the rd to me cut my area completely short. when dermalogica terms an conditions stated if you moving your account or opening a second salon write to us in 7days so we can notify any conflict of interest with existing stockist in that area, to which i never got asked by dermalogica where as i use sothys make up an dont carry there skin care but they rep came in an ask my whether i would mind anoth stockist opening up 3miles away which they didnt in the end but i thought they look after me much better. dermalogica shud take a leaf out of their book!!! my sales are now practically non existant an im fed up with their bully boy tactics but im worried if i change skincare brand whether my clients will stop using my all together as dermalogica as a skincare with out the business side to them is great! but if i change my clients will be like oh? id rather use dermalogica an lose them to the other stockist!! nightmare im going to send an email {again} to america as u hit a brick wall with all in uk as ive spoken to the head of the north fiona!! an they don't care there greedy asses. I have taken little wage the last couple of months cos of them where as they all get paid no matter what. wouldn't mind but with out us there would be no MORE dermalogica they shud pay us lol. plz if you want to rally together please email me on [email protected] to start up a campaigne xx

Is that definitly true that their going into department stores? :irked:

I stock Dermalogica and I just brought in phyt's organic products which are much cheaper. they are going ok but clients are still inlove with Dermalogica. I get a lot of people coming in just for Dermalogica products and now having any treatments. I do wish they were cheaper but I will hold onto them as I still make a good profit on them. It does annoy me how much 'frozen' money I have on my shelves but as the demand is there I feel Dermalogica have us backed into a corner. I know they are down in sales but they are still the number 1 selling skin care brand in the world so I doubt their worried :irked:

Is that definitly true that their going into department stores? :irked:
well there in manchester harvey nicks an there were in harrods but i believe this thread has caused them to close it or so ive heard i dnt kno lol

Latest posts

Back