Did I get gel nails? HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear !
i think you should find somewhere else, youve got 2 weeks to look for someone, also look at photos of their work, all the other geeks told you what labels to look out for those are good guidlines, good luck !

I dont think the length of time they take has anything to do with it though, the cnd master who trained me could produce the most amazing set of nails in 40mins, flawless and beautifully shaped (and she's not rushing, this speed is completely natural to her)
i take an hour and a half (at the moment, heeheehee)
sounds like this guy went faster than he was capable of going they maybe use one basic system and thats why you never had the choice
prices are all different too, ive seen nice nails at 20 even, you cant really go by that
like all the other geeks said the best guidline you have is the product ie, who they are trained with

I gree with Angel and Mum - I keep my powders in fancy crystal pots with silver lids and have it all on a lead crystal tray, I don't use a e-file only becuse I am not trained lol

Your nails beforehand don't look to be that badly bitten to be honest and a good tech could extend them for you and keep them natural looking or could sculpt the white free edge ( the top of the nail that is white in your pics ) while keeping them looking balanced by extending your nail beds slightly ( extending the nail beds is when the tech uses a opaque pink powder to macth your skin tone which will hide any imperfections on your natural nail and make the pink part of your nail appear longer )

i would look into findind a mobile tech if salons are thin on the ground, who can come to you and definitely look at their work beforehand etc :D xx

I'm going to ask an odd question ... Don't be offended I'm just curious ...

How come you took a before photo of your nails?

Good point !

I dont think the length of time they take has anything to do with it though, the cnd master who trained me could produce the most amazing set of nails in 40mins, flawless and beautifully shaped (and she's not rushing, this speed is completely natural to her)
i take an hour and a half (at the moment, heeheehee)
sounds like this guy went faster than he was capable of going they maybe use one basic system and thats why you never had the choice
prices are all different too, ive seen nice nails at 20 even, you cant really go by that
like all the other geeks said the best guidline you have is the product ie, who they are trained with

Tigan - was it Fee that you did your Masters with? She's amazing!

The length of time does make a difference as there aren't many that can produce faultless nails in that time. Some of the CND masters are def in that group.

I am even more bemused as I think there is another agenda going on here! All a little bit text book I think. Journalist perhaps?

The length of time does make a difference as there aren't many that can produce faultless nails in that time. Some of the CND masters are def in that group.

I am even more bemused as I think there is another agenda going on here! All a little bit text book I think. Journalist perhaps?

Thats what I was thinking but didn't like to say! :o

Tigan - was it Fee that you did your Masters with? She's amazing!

Hi, yes it was, i know she's amazing isn't she !
did you train with Fee also ?

Ive not done my masters though, ive only done my 'basic training'

I'm on FB too much, I so needed a 'like' button for this post of yours Mum!! There's something a little odd about the whole topic I think.

Very possible .. interesting.

I hope if this is the case they don't use some of the less informed information for publication. When there is more accurate information to choose from.

Jacqui xx

That is exactly what I was thinking!

Was reading through and then saw pics... and thought to myself, hm.. how odd is that? Surely No one takes pics of own nails before they go into a salon... or do they?

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Was reading through and then saw pics... and thought to myself, hm.. how odd is that? Surely No one takes pics of own nails before they go into a salon... or do they?

Very good point!

because i wanted to show my sister the improvement :L she obviously knows i've bitten my nails all my life, so before i went i took a picture so i could do a before/after photo (she lives 3 hours away so can't see in person)

No I am honsetly not a journalist of doing anything. I'm just sad enough to take a picture of my nails before i went.. sorry if you all think it's werid, but you have no idea how ashamed of my nails i've been, and how hard it has been to kick the habit, so much so that when i decided to get gel nails i wanted a record of the improvement. i've been going on about them to everybody i know, so at the end of the day i've been really happy with how kind and friendly everybody has been on here, because i was really scared when i realised that it wasnt the UV gel i asked for... but if you're all so paranoid or something that i'm a journalist or lying then i'm really offended, because i've been nothing but honest. I'm young and getting my nails done for the first time meant alot to me, and i refuse to be sorry or ashamed that i did take a before photo. This post has been genuine, and i have been paniced, and have been reassured and am going to go to one of the salons which somebody suggested to me, and take the advice.

I'm on FB too much, I so needed a 'like' button for this post of yours Mum!! There's something a little odd about the whole topic I think.

How is it odd? it's a real situation in my life, what do you want as proof? i'm not a journalist, i'm a real human being who was searching for a professionals opinion.. and i'm not apologising for that or being abused for it either.

Very possible .. interesting.

I hope if this is the case they don't use some of the less informed information for publication. When there is more accurate information to choose from.

Jacqui xx

jesus christ, it is true, thankyou for your help earlier but i'm annoyed by the way a genuine query to professionals has been treated now

Well yes, clearly, a 16 year old girl, really happy to finally be changing their nails after a lifetime of biting and trying to stop, felt like this was significant enough to her to take a picture, to show her family. Call me 'sad' or whatever, I did it.
I guess none of you understand the importance it had to me, i'm really offended by the doubt from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it odd? it's a real situation in my life, what do you want as proof? i'm not a journalist, i'm a real human being who was searching for a professionals opinion.. and i'm not apologising for that or being abused for it either.

No abuse intended, although I did find the topic a little odd and it's very rare someone has before pictures to show us. 'Mum' is a much respected industry expert and the rest of her post was interesting too :hug:

Your nails, prior to the trip to the salon, were actually pretty good compared to the three 'biters' in my house. Xx

Well yes, clearly, a 16 year old girl, really happy to finally be changing their nails after a lifetime of biting and trying to stop, felt like this was significant enough to her to take a picture, to show her family. Call me 'sad' or whatever, I did it.
I guess none of you understand the importance it had to me, i'm really offended by the doubt from this forum.

If you are a genuine client asking genuine questions then I sincerely apologise for doubting you. Unfortunately, there have been many situations on this site where people are trying to trick unsuspecting professionals into saying something that will make a good story.

This particular section of the site is for professionals. There is another section that is there for consumers to ask these type of questions.

You've been given some good advice so good luck with your decision

No abuse intended, although I did find the topic a little odd, 'Mum' is a much respected industry expert and the rest of her post was interesting too :hug:

Your nails, prior to the trip to the salon, were actually pretty good compared to the three 'biters' in my house. Xx

Thank you, It might be odd, but it did mean alot to me, i used to bite my nails so bad they bled, but when i started realising how much of a bad habit it was, i tried everything from gross nail varnish and extreme willpower. The week before i went to the nail place, i used 'pretty quik nail the habit' foam dippy thing which makes the whole of your fingertips taste so bad you are nearly sick if you taste it :L so yeah, the week before i got them done was the best my nails have been in a while. xxx

If you are a genuine client asking genuine questions then I sincerely apologise for doubting you. Unfortunately, there have been many situations on this site where people are trying to trick unsuspecting professionals into saying something that will make a good story.

This particular section of the site is for professionals. There is another section that is there for consumers to ask these type of questions.

You've been given some good advice so good luck with your decision

Yes i am a genuine client.. so thank you for apologising. I am no way a journalist or anything.. I'm not quite sure how any of this would make a good story for a magazine or anything so not sure what you mean by that, however i'm sure as you say it's happened.

I only realised that this part was for professionals this morning because last night, i was using my phone and didn't see the small message. I figured this morning no harm was done, people had given me good, friendly advice and there was no point in deleting it and reposting on the section i was meant to.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
jesus christ, it is true, thankyou for your help earlier but i'm annoyed by the way a genuine query to professionals has been treated now

I can see why you would be so upset!

So it seems that it all got a little bit out of perspective but you've come back and put it right so please, let me smooooooth out your ruffled feathers.

You have been given some good and some not so good advice so far. I think you can work out which is the good advice .. so, maybe in 2-4 weeks you could come back with some more pictures and show us how your nails have improved and let us know what choices you made.

If you have any more questions we can help you with there will be someone here to help!

Are we 'friends' again?

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back