Dipping nails in acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janette_wtmr

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what it's called...

A girl did my nails and she brushed on resin and then dipped them in acrylic, dusted it off and did it again. :irked:

My tutor told me it's about 10yrs old. Although you don't use resin.

There is no skill in this at all, anyone could go away and do this tommorow. How much would you charge someone if they actually requested it?

Janette xxx

I had a client ask me about this. Her friend did her nails with this 'dipping' method and she wondered if I did it.

I can't find anything about it anywhere!

xx

Do a seacrh on "tip and dip" you'll find lot's of info,hth's

I have seen this method before, leChat do a similar thing to dipping but they put this gel on (i think!) and then pour this powder on the top then put it under the uv lamp to cure it. It seems quite wasteful as surely you wouldnt put unused powder back in the pot....would you?

Its intriguing!! Anyone trained with leChat here, is it good?

x

Are We Talking About The Acrylic Dip System If So A Friend Of Mine
Sell The System With Glitters It Good:):):)

Tip and dip has never really taken off in the professional world ... sorry to those who may use it and like it but it just hasn't.

Many do re-use the powder which I find distasteful.

It's like anything else, some clients get on with it many find it is just not strong enough or pretty enough or long lasting enough etc etc.

It has been around for many years now and I think the fact that so few use it says it all really.

Backscratchers were the first branded line about 10 years ago with this system called 'extreme'.

Last edited:
I don't think backscratchers was the first.
Only because I was getting mine done, here in Montreal, 20yrs ago. I dont know how long it's been around, but I can tell you it's been around longer than 20yrs. I've been doing it myself for over 15yrs. (although rarely now, except to offer it to one-off clients for a grad or a wedding).
Here it's called "gel-resine" (with the french accent LOL) which is a misnomer, but called that because of the two different viscosities of the resin. One thicker, and one thinner.

It's VERY popular here in Montreal. Just about everywhere. Mostly because it's fast, simple and doesn't require the skill that L&P and UV Gel require.

Like anything, to each his own, and each system has it's pros and cons.
I've had clients that actually preferred it to uv gel (likely because it was faster).
It provides a faster turn-over for legit salons than L&P or UV Gel, because of the time it takes to do a full set or a refill. 1/2 the time, in some cases, even less, depending on the service.

(PS: local salons are charging the same for "tip-n-dip/gel-resine" as they do for L&P)

hth's

Last edited:
A system that anyone can do!
Not a very fexible or strong system.....

I have tried many systems and work in a busy salon as a nail tech, I now only stick to le chat powder gel and nobility, which Is excellent for most of my clients , very hard wearing and long lasting. I have tried the edge quick acrylic, and yes it is very quick and easy to do but not long lasting or very strong, I would use it only for maybe someone who wanted them on for a one off special occassion, like a wedding or a night out, and call them weekend nails or something like that, I dont feel you could charge more than £18 for a set of temporary nails. I was not impressed with this system, seems almost like something you could buy off the shelf in boots , like those do it yourself acrylic kits.

my friend
Sheba Professional Nail Products go to acrylic then go to acrylic
dip system an it tell all about it i use it and i love it
cool stuff works good

true backscratchers did and the la chat started doing it too

Le Chat powder gel, is not like the tip and dip system, as you use a base gel and an acrylic powder which is sprinkled on, then sealed in with a top coat and cured under a uv lamp. The tip and dip I have use is a resin, then an acrylic dipping powder and a spray activator is used to set it. I do not find it as strong as the gel/acrylic combination.

Le Chat powder gel, is not like the tip and dip system, as you use a base gel and an acrylic powder which is sprinkled on, then sealed in with a top coat and cured under a uv lamp. The tip and dip I have use is a resin, then an acrylic dipping powder and a spray activator is used to set it. I do not find it as strong as the gel/acrylic combination.

absolutely, the gel system results in more flexibility and longer wear.

Hi all,

I was searching the web to get some information on acrylic nails and courses for my daughter she's leaving school in year and very keen on taking up this sort of careerer. I saw post here about dip in acrylic nail set saying it was ten years old which worried me a bit has i just treated my daughter to this acrylic nail set. I hope this is not the case when it arrives I get my daughter to come here post up her thoughts. This what i bought maybe your thoughts would be could if i have done the right thing.

it was called Dip in acrylic set I found it here Dip in acrylic set

Kind Regards all

Hi all,

I was searching the web to get some information on acrylic nails and courses for my daughter she's leaving school in year and very keen on taking up this sort of careerer. I saw post here about dip in acrylic nail set saying it was ten years old which worried me a bit has i just treated my daughter to this acrylic nail set. I hope this is not the case when it arrives I get my daughter to come here post up her thoughts. This what i bought maybe your thoughts would be could if i have done the right thing.

it was called Dip in acrylic set I found it here Dip in acrylic set

Kind Regards all

To be honest, you would have been better off spending your money on a course with a reputable training company so that your daughter can achieve a qualification in her chosen career. These kind of kits teach you nothing about nail disorders, pyhsiology and anatomy and product chemistry which is a must in order to gain insurance to work on the general public.
David

I dont think you have done the right thing at all tbh hun, who knows what kind of damage she could do to her nails if she has no experience or training. You would have been better doing some research into what sort of training she would like, or buying her books so she could start learning all the chemistry involved before buying her off the shelf kits.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but we hear so many horror stories on here from untrained people who buy these kits and end up doing damage to themselves.

you can also buy this product from the Edge.

Latest posts

Back