Disaster with suntan oil and Shellacked nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaisyMouse

Reaction score
I did a french shellac a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it was looking my best yet. The client has had it before and it lasted 3 weeks and only wore slightly at the ends.

This time she was going on holiday and she said it was good then about halfway through the first week she said it went soft and when she touched it, it wrinkled then peeled off! Why would it have done this? Would it be the heat?

I have just had her in today and had to re-do it free of charge, the thing is I have done another couple who are away on holiday. I dont want to speand the next few weeks giving out free treatments.

Please help!

Sounds like client interference to me and using sun lotions that contain chemicals that cause problems to the colour coat. Why should yu repair that for free? So warn them they can't come back and moan and ask for freebies.

You can use sun lotions with Shellac (I live in the sun and use lotion every day and have had zero problems nor do my nails wear at the ends either) but they must not contain deet.

Really it is our job to warn clients not to get their nails clarted up in sun oils and lotions it can cause trouble to all sorts of enhanced nails. It's easy enough to apply lotion and then take a corner of a towel and wipe each nail so they are not swimming in it.

So warn them they can't come back and moan and ask for freebies.

Last edited:
I know that mosquito spray can "melt" Bio Sculpture gel, so it's possible it may affect Shellac.... it could have been anything, but if her nails were perfect for a week or so and then went soft, it must have been something she has done

Lots of sun lotions and after sun lotions contain insect repellent. This will affect all enhancements and polish. I think the offending ingredient is DEET?? I always tell my clients to steer clear of products containing this stuff when they are on holiday.

Ordinary sun lotions and oils should have no adverse affect on enhancements or polish. It would be interesting to know which products your client used.

I will ask her what she used. I never knew that sun lotions could affect it so therefore its my fault for not warning her!

Personally, I have to say, that in the 7 years since I have been a nail tech, I have never done a freebie for anyone. I don't think its your fault for not warning her and don't let it knock your confidence.

I have an aftercare leaflet which I give to all new clients which gives them details of the things that can affect their nails. That way, I can't forget to warn them about anything!

I bet your other clients come back from their holidays with no problems.

I also didn't know that excessive amounts of sun tan lotion/insect repellant could effect shellac. Can anyone offer any other information that we could pass on to our clients to keep their shellac's looking their best.

Many thanks.

I also didn't know that excessive amounts of sun tan lotion/insect repellant could effect shellac. Can anyone offer any other information that we could pass on to our clients to keep their shellac's looking their best.

Many thanks.

This would be good if we were able to give clients the proper aftercare for Shellac - I dont remember it from the training.

would anyone be able to let us know the proper aftercare so I can print a leaflet that i can hand to all clients as I do with other treatments!

Thank you

This would be good if we were able to give clients the proper aftercare for Shellac - I dont remember it from the training.

would anyone be able to let us know the proper aftercare so I can print a leaflet that i can hand to all clients as I do with other treatments!

Thank you

Sun creams with Deet will affect ANY nail products not just Shellac.

The only aftercare advice is for your clients to use a bit of common sense and to use Solar Oil every day which information is given out in all Shellac instructions and on all CND classes.

Shellac is a colour coat .. do you give out aftercare to your clients for polish? Do you warn them that excessive contact with chemicals or solvents or suntan creams will ruin thier polish (Because it will) sometimes clients need to use their heads and think with the brain god gave them.

Here's a true story for you which just illustrates stupidity.

I once had a nail tech customer who wanted to sue ME for selling her some product remover. Why? Because she had poured it down a plastic sink at a mobile client's house and it had melted/destroyed the sink and the client wanted her to pay for the damage (quite rightly) .. and somehow it was supposed to be MY fault because it didn't state on the bottle "do not dispose of this product down a plastic sink" .. I mean ... labels cannot cover every single eventuality that some numpty might do with a substance ... some intelligence and common sense has got to come into play.
Same with clients who spoil thier nails by immersing them in chemicals that can destroy their nails or their color. HELLO?????

I told her to get in touch with my insurance company and they just laughed at her and said roughly what I've just said to you. Plastic + Acetone?? What did you think would happen to something plastic; you just used it to melt off your clients PLASTC nails ffs!

Last edited:
I know that mosquito spray can "melt" Bio Sculpture gel, so it's possible it may affect Shellac.... it could have been anything, but if her nails were perfect for a week or so and then went soft, it must have been something she has done
Taos , I can't help wondering what some of theese things do to skin ,

Would someone mind please explaining what DEET is?
Would you find this in the list of ingrediants on the back of a suntan lotion/oil?
If this DEET melts/removes or ruines Shellac nails - is it ok that we use it on our skin? x

Deet is an insect repellant. It is essentially a yellow oil that is contained in some suncreams too.

DEET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to what does it do to your skin? Ever seen what neet lavender oil does to a varnished table top?? Strips it clean.

Many oils are quite strong used neet, and could be classed as corrosive and act like solvents on some surfaces.

"DEET is an effective solvent,[4] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces including nailpolish."

But these oils are not normally used neet but are contained in other carriers.

Thank you for that Gigi - very informative :) x

does deet ever have another name ?
i ask because the sun lotion i use doesnt have it listed but it still affected polish topcoat.

does deet ever have another name ?
i ask because the sun lotion i use doesnt have it listed but it still affected polish topcoat.

Just check the label huni, it it says insect repellent then do use it xxx

DEET stands for:
N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide

Other names​
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide;

Hope that helps a little xxx

Just check the label huni, it it says insect repellent then do use it xxx

DEET stands for:

Other names​
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide;

Hope that helps a little xxx

thankyou ruth.

have checked, but it doesnt list any of those.
mysterious.
can heat alone cause problems?
i always use gel topcoat on all my enhancements so ive never encountered any issues before, but i had to repair a nail whilst i was away and only used uv40 to finish it. by the end of the day it was all tacky and dull and a magnet for fluff !

thankyou ruth.

have checked, but it doesnt list any of those.
mysterious.
can heat alone cause problems?
i always use gel topcoat on all my enhancements so ive never encountered any issues before, but i had to repair a nail whilst i was away and only used uv40 to finish it. by the end of the day it was all tacky and dull and a magnet for fluff !

As I said in my post above there are other oils apart form Deet that are solvents. Be careful of some of these essential oils. I use suntan lotions every day .. I just take the time to wipe any excess off my nails when I am done putting it on. My shellac has never been affected not my enhancements when I was wearing them.

I've also heard that some lotions containing "paba" will 'melt' some enhancements.

Aha!! So that's what must of happend to my partner's sisters nails when I did a french shellac before she went to Mexico, she said they had pretty much melted whilst she was away. She did say (although she may have been saying this to make me feel better) that a lot of the women in her group had had the same thing happen, she just thought it was the sun... Although I was thinking if it were the sun (UV rays) it would have the opposite effect??

Actually I hadn't realised that sun creams or products with DEET could affect nails either - thank god for this forum board!

I'll be buggered then as I have to use Mosquito repellant whenever I'm abroad, I'm a human smorgasbord for the little blighters...

PABA 4-Aminobenzoic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My poor mother is allergic to PABA, especially sun tan cream, give her hives, swelling, the lot. It's not pleasant. :( x

Latest posts

Back