Discomfort after waxing legs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a friend who would like to have her legs waxed, but she has had some discomfort from previous treatments.
On a pamper night she had her legs waxed, but a day after the treatment & especially when she got into the bath her legs had a red rash all over them, also they became very sensitive in the water & started to itch. Also she has tried the home waxing kit you can purchase from the chemist, with the same results.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

HI, most client will find waxing ok but there is the odd one that will have breakouts or redness and inflammation after waxing.

We have found extremely good results if you use the Jasmine oil before the wax and then apply the Platinum Soothing mask after the wax. Best if your client takes this home and continues to apply this twice per day (morning and night) as this really helps against the inflammation.

I have tried it myself on a red leg and you could literally see how far i had applied the mask - it calmed down within a few minutes and whilst the untreated area turned red and hot the treated are remained smooth skinned and relaxed!

I am sure other brands have got similar products so its worth having a look around :hug:

thank you, i'll let her know.

If she is ultra sensitive she should avoid hot baths for 48 hours and have tepid showers instead. Also she needs to wear loose clothing and not apply any products except aftercare lotions for at least 24 hours. Did she put something on her legs straight after?

I just want to second what Weezie has said. You could also try a hypoallergenic wax and when you've finished waxing her, spray with Aloe Vera......or use a soothing gel.

The level of hygiene observed by the therapist can have a direct result too. I know this from waxing myself, when I scrub my hands before, and wear gloves, use a clean towel etc, then I don't react...but if Im having an "it's only me so it doesn't matter" moment, and don't wear gloves (for example), I notice a difference in my skin. I do get more red, sore, itchy.
So it's possible that the therapist who completed the treatment at the pamper party wasn't as hygienic as she could have been. This could also account for the home wax kit reaction (though I hate the home kits anyway, I don't think most of them could wax the hair off a hairdressers floor!)

Some people have this reaction no matter what. I have tried many waxes on my friend and she has been waxed by others, all with the same really bad reaction. We even tried sugar paste both traditional application and strip, again the same reaction.

As has already been said, avoid hot baths and showers, perfumed products on the area and apply a soothing after cream to ease the inflammation.

Some people have this reaction no matter what. I have tried many waxes on my friend and she has been waxed by others, all with the same really bad reaction. We even tried sugar paste both traditional application and strip, again the same reaction.

As has already been said, avoid hot baths and showers, perfumed products on the area and apply a soothing after cream to ease the inflammation.

I also have someone who this happens to and we have tried various waxes...and all the different things you can think and sugar wax.She does have sensitive dry skin though so i guess its a histamine reaction.

Joe 90 and Gillian....it's so true. People forget that they're having hair ripped right out of it's roots. xx

I was just thinking back 6 years my skin used to go red, with lots of raised dots at the follicles and slightly itchy for a few days after waxing the first few months I had it done while I was training now I hardly get any reaction. Just a thought, have you seen the reaction? as it may just be a normal reaction but she may think it is worse than it is. :hug:

I was sooooo shocked when this happened to my friend the first time that I took a picture of one of her legs. Will see if I can find it on my old phone and post it up.

I have a client that gets a severe histamine response her legs look like she is covered in nettle rash but it goes down within 30 mins so by the time I finish a full leg and bikini where I started is calm again, she warned me it would happen otherwise I would have freaked out! I also had the same response on a lady who only reacted that way during pregnancy, and again it went down quickly. Looking forward to the pics!

When you think about it....when we wax friends/family, that's probably the only time we do get to hear of any reaction. xx

You are so right Kim, most clients will either not say anything or just give up waxing or which ever treatment it is that was uncomfortable.

That is the worst as you dont even get a chance to explain to them that the reaction is normal or that you can suggest any help and that it will improve if they get going and come to regular treatments!

I have also found if the client uses pumice gloves and bath get the very next day it helps get rid of this irritation much faster. Of course I don't mean doing a really agressive scrubbing, but a light going over seems to get the client through it faster than treating it gently.

You are so right Kim, most clients will either not say anything or just give up waxing or which ever treatment it is that was uncomfortable.

That is the worst as you dont even get a chance to explain to them that the reaction is normal or that you can suggest any help and that it will improve if they get going and come to regular treatments!

Exactly....for all we know, they could all be writhing around the bedroom floor in agony for days after, unable to leave the house :)

Latest posts

Back