Disheartened with acrylics popping off!! hlp please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naily13

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

Please can someone help im getting so disheartened when my friends nails keep coming off!! she has bitten nails and i do her a set of Acrylics using cnd products, i make sure i scrub fresh properly and take the shine off as i know it is very important to prep first, every time i do her nails she says a few just pop off! why are they doing this is it to do with my mix ratio,am i still not getting that right maybe?? its just so disheartening and makes me feel down,can someone help please thanks x

Is she the only one this is happening with. Nail bitters need to put their fingers in their mouths and often nibble if not bite their enhancments. Sometimes they bite them off or just make them lift so then they come off. The other thing they are prone to is cuticle on the nail plate.Look on you tube for removing the real cuticle by finger nail fixer. Dont get disheartened though. x

I agree with Wendy. It can also be a combination of things, nails really too short so not enough surface area to create a stable nail, especially if the enhancement is anything but short. This on top of a nibbler! They just can't help themselves, I was one so I should know!! :biggrin:

Hi thank you so much for the reply both of you, wendy yes i bet she will be nibbleing at them ha! i will be asking her! and that vid is fab thank you i have just watched it,what an excellent vid that is! just shows that maybe i am not getting rid of all the cuticle then, is it worth getting a curette as i didnt get one in my college kit? and thank you also shelia much appreciated x

I rarely use my curette as I find using the cuticle pusher further up the nail is enough then GENTLY use the sharp edge of the pusher round the side walls. You will be surprised how much cuticle you will find. Have a go and see how you go on before you splash on on a curette x As Sheila says if there is very little nail to bond to there is little stability. Do a search for Tracy Louise I'm sure she has a brill way to overcome this is her albums. Be prepared to be jealous though lol as her nails are fab x

Last edited:
ok fab thanks for that wendy, im doing her some tonight so will see how they go,will make sure i really go up the nail to remove the cuticle. ha ok will search for her now, thank you so much again!x

You're welcome x;)

Yes, does she have any free edge? If she has none then there's nothing for the nail to really secure itself to.

Don't give up! :)

Another thing to remember nail biters often turn into pickers. It could well be that she is picking them off, check her nail plate for signs of damage. Somebody once told me their nails were just "popping off" knocked my confidence for six, I kept reapplying them, thinking I was rubbish at nails, until she let slip she had broken one, so I casually said, "so I guess you just picked the rest off?" and without thinking she said "Yes" :irked:

She doesn't need a free edge to have enhancements, its not just the free edge the product adhears to but the nail plate itself. Ensure you're reducing the contact area of your tips so what nail she does have is getting covered with l+p to maximise adhesion...

As others have said its really important to keep them short to start off with. No longer than just the end of the finger until she gets used to having some length. Get her to have a rebalance after 1 week instead of 2 so there's absolutely nothing for her to pick and bite at.

Don't be disheartened doll! xx

Dont let this put you off, nail pickers and biters are the absolute worlds worst when admiting what they have done!

As you go along you will be able to train your own eye to know when the client has been picking or biting. The first major sign- provided you have got your prep, application & mix ratios all down to perfection, is the lifting at the side walls.

Keep your chin up and dont let the pickers & biters get you down! :hug:

Last edited:
The other thing I would make sure you do is not do pink and whites. do a solid color on her for the 1st few sets. As a nail bitter my self I know that if I can see my nail beds I will bite the l&p off if I see any thing I think is wrong. If I can not see through zone 3 and 3 for the 1st few fills I am ok.

I am a firm believer that beginners are best not doing nail biters nails. The results you get invariably undermine the new technician's confidence. The nail biter always interferes with whatever you have done (and then lies about doing it). Furthermore there are techniques involved for doing bitten nails that beginners do not know and nor do they have the ability to do bitten nails well

It takes skill and experience to both make a nail biters nails look attractive and to make the enhancements last for them. Both are things that as a beginner you are probably not capable of doing.

Make sure your models are people with reasonably shaped nails and in reasonable condition. Build your skills first and only then will you be able to tackle the challenging clients with the knowledge and techniques you have learned.

I am a firm believer that beginners are best not doing nail biters nails. The results you get invariably undermine the new technician's confidence. The nail biter always interferes with whatever you have done (and then lies about doing it). Furthermore there are techniques involved for doing bitten nails that beginners do not know and nor do they have the ability to do bitten nails well

It takes skill and experience to both make a nail biters nails look attractive and to make the enhancements last for them. Both are things that as a beginner you are probably not capable of doing.

Make sure your models are people with reasonably shaped nails and in reasonable condition. Build your skills first and only then will you be able to tackle the challenging clients with the knowledge and techniques you have learned.

I SOOOOO agree with this, it absolutely saps your confidence when dealing with biters. I'm still new to industry and have found that 80% of my clients are Shellac customers (thank god!) but it does have a negative effect on that I'm not doing as many acrylics as I should/could be and therefore not getting the much needed experience. Double edge sword really.

But I wanted to say I had a client who had quite short nails (although not a true nail biter) and a very, very flat nail beds. Her acrylics would ping off before the 2 weeks where up and I was getting really disheartened with it. Anyhow I decided to have a go at sculpts on her and lo and behold, they've stayed put! Maybe if you can manage to get forms on, you could sculpt and see how they go?

Good luck xx

hey guys thank you so much for all your replys! no she doesnt have any free edge at all,and also when i glue the tips on the glue all spurts out on2 the nail plate will that maybe have something to do with it even though i wipe the excess glue away? thanks geeg maybe i shouldnt do hers for abit then because she has bad bitten nails! and yes lisa it does make me loose confidence, also the other night wasnt going right and i could have cried! trying to get my mix right at the mo and cant seem too,thanks to geegs tutorials though im really trying to get it right! but with her having bitten nails i might leave hers for abit!yes i have thought about trying the sculps. thanks again to everyone who has replied you are a fab help all of you!xx

Latest posts

Back