Do you blend clear tips ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamjams

Reaction score
do u need to blend clear tips ? i havent used them before i normally blend in natural tips and leave wellless french tips .

im putting a clear /glitter overlay on them

xx

Yes, blend clear tips, they are basically the same as natural, but are really designed for either nail art or for use with UV cured gels.

Tips are a 'canvas' not designed to offer strength, just a platform to apply to.

hth's

I do not, except maybe the corners if they do fit right.

do u need to blend clear tips ? i havent used them before i normally blend in natural tips and leave wellless french tips .

im putting a clear /glitter overlay on them

xx
If you are using well less clear tips just remove the shine from the tips x
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi I recently did a set of designer tips. They were full well tips with the design ready on them. I blended as much as I could without removing design. After a week the line of where the tips began started to show in certain light and when the client hit her nails they began to crack at the blend line. So yes I would recommend blending well and if possible find welless tips. Good luck.

As Envy said, the tip is just a canvas for your product, the thinner the tip (which offers no strength at all) the more room you have for your product, which is where the strength is, providing you're building the structure correctly :wink2:
You should always blend in clear tips and ensure they're thinned out too :D

I think many get confused with this blending thing and are using the term incorrectly.

You BLEND away the well area of a tip so there is no ghost shadow left to be seen.

You THIN the free edge for more strength as you can then add more product in that area .. and as sandi said, the product is stronger than the tip.

So bearing that in mind, I say you most likely will not need to blend away the well of the tip, but only to thin the free edge area.

If using well-less PERFORMANCE tips from CND you neither have to blend nor thin as it is all done for you.:green:

Last edited:
I'll admit this blending does confuse me. I know you don't have to blend Performance tips and was told so in my training. However, we were asked to blend them in but I think this was probably for the practise. The thing that confuses me is even with Performance tips you have the "smile line" of the tip, I always think you should blend it slightly to get rid of this smile line so as to create a more natural looking enhancement especially under sheer powders such as Pure Pink. Sorry to be pedantic and hope this makes sense.

anne xx

I'll admit this blending does confuse me. I know you don't have to blend Performance tips and was told so in my training. However, we were asked to blend them in but I think this was probably for the practise. The thing that confuses me is even with Performance tips you have the "smile line" of the tip, I always think you should blend it slightly to get rid of this smile line so as to create a more natural looking enhancement especially under sheer powders such as Pure Pink. Sorry to be pedantic and hope this makes sense.

anne xx

I don´t think you are being pedantic ... however, you do not have to blend or thin CND PERFORMANCE tips.

The smile line is the smile line and is placed on the natural smile line or just above and you want it to show clearly. My natural smile lines show clearly .. but if you want to see no line of demarkation at all then of course you would have to do some blending I guess. I never do. I also never thin them either as the CND PERFORMANCE tips are beautifully thin and flexible already.

Thank you Geeg for clearing that up :hug:

anne xx

I don´t think you are being pedantic ... however, you do not have to blend or thin CND PERFORMANCE tips.

The smile line is the smile line and is placed on the natural smile line or just above and you want it to show clearly. My natural smile lines show clearly .. but if you want to see no line of demarkation at all then of course you would have to do some blending I guess. I never do. I also never thin them either as the CND PERFORMANCE tips are beautifully thin and flexible already.
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but i am curious has to why i can still see a natural smile line/free edge underneath a natural performance tip when a client once wanted a sheer pink overlay instead of a white tip? I did blend a little just to thin the corners/ears of the tips. My performance tips seem to be to translucent rather than natural in colour. Should i have used velocity tips instead to create this natural pink overlay?

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but i am curious has to why i can still see a natural smile line/free edge underneath a natural performance tip when a client once wanted a sheer pink overlay instead of a white tip? I did blend a little just to thin the corners/ears of the tips. My performance tips seem to be to translucent rather than natural in colour. Should i have used velocity tips instead to create this natural pink overlay?

I agree with you that although a natural colour rather than opaque white, the Performance natural tips are not OPAQUE. They are actually designed to let the natural colour of the clients own natural free edge show through as it is growing out and not to cover it up.

If what you are wanting is to have an opaque natural coloured tip that does not show any regrowth of the natural nail then CND don't have it ... I for one would like to have this sort of tip from CND, like you. I don't think the Velocity tip is much more opaque in my opinion but you can try it and see what you think.

Now, the only thing you can do (with the client as your partner in this) is to grow out the natural nails until the NNO stage is reached, in which case the free edges will show through as completely natural OR remove all of the free edge first just leaving the tiniest bit on which to apply the well-less Performance tip so there is no natural nail showing underneath (this is what I do, or I use 'my secret free edge mix of powder) to make zone 1 opaque..

Thanks for taking the time to reply geeg. Yes, i have used your secret mix before just to give the tip a very thin layer of natural coverage then overlayed including zone 1 over the top of your natural mix powder using sheer pink. I have done this with client breakages just so it matches the tips of the other nails and i have also sculpted a nail repair this way too. I get told by my clients that i am a very clever girl for doing this! :lol:
On this one occasion the client only wanted a full set pink overlay and it didn't dawn on me until i had finished the set that i could see her free edges. I didn't take any free edge down so that they wouldn't take too long before reaching NNO stage. She is due back next week for an infill and her set of nails were kept really short and round due to her being a beauty therapist and she didn't want them getting in the way of her massage treatments, so i think when i tidy them up the peforance tip will be filed right off by then.

Latest posts

Back