Do you get electric shocks off your car door?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Talking amongst my friends and family, I seem to be the only one who regularly gets electric shocks from my car door, usually when I get out and touch it to close it. It makes me really jump and ALWAYS makes me swear loudly in my driveway.:rolleyes::irked:

Does anybody know what I can do to prevent it (apart from resorting to closing the door with my elbow or kicking it shut lol) which makes me look either a bit deranged or a bit of a thug. :lol:

Please say I'm not the only one who finds this.

Sorry this thread is soooo ridiculous but I've just got back in and it has happened AGAIN and I just though, right, I can't be the only one surely!

I do! All the time!

My friend told me to swing your foot out the car and make contact with the floor, then so ensure the back of your leg is touching the sill on your car, and it some how grounds you?! Does that make sense? This is what I'be been doing and I'm sure it works xx

This is far from being ridiculous....and is something that many as well as I suffer from regularly.

You will also find that the level and frequency tends to start from around Feb onwards..when the ground gets drier.

Being a qualified electrical engineer here goes.

This is static electricity generated by the motion of your vehicle...the tyres going round and round all day...bit like when you get a jumper out of the tumble dryer and its full of a static charge.

Because you have rubber tyres the charge that builds up can't escape to earth...so it waits for you to creat the link when you get out of the car

Now we all have different resistances to electricity charges..amungst other things someone who has rough hands..I.E.thick skin or dry skin is likley to be more resistant to electric static(or electric shock from the mains) as aposed to others who have moist skin content.

What is hapening is that when you get out of the car and put your foot on the ground ahilst touching the car is you are causing a circuit for the electrical charge that has buit up in the car to travel down your body to earth.

Now this isnt dangerouse..if anything probably good or you..all be it uncomfortable.

You can cure it by nipping down to your local car accessorie shop and asking them for these strips you fix to the underside of your car which hang down and touch the ground as you drive...this gives the path to earth forthe static to discharge to..instead of through you:hug:
hoping this helps

This is far from being rediculouse....and is something I suffer from regularly.
You will also find that the level and frequency tends to start from around feb onwards..when the ground gets drier.

Being a qualified electrical engineer here goes.

This is static electricity generated by the motion of your vehicle...the tyres going round and round all day...bit like when you get a jumper out of the tumble dryer and its full of a static charge.

Now we all have different resistances to electricity charges..amungst other things someone who has rough hands..I.E.thick skin or dry skin is likley to be more resistant to electric static(or electric shock from the mains) as aposed to others who have moist skin content.

What is hapening is that when you get out of the car and put your foot on the ground ahilst touching the car is you are causing a circuit for the electrical charge that has buit up in the car to travel down your body to earth.

Now this isnt dangerouse..if anything probably good or you..all be it uncomfortable.

You can cure it by nipping down to your local car accessorie shop and asking them for these strips you fix to the underside of your car which hang down and touch the ground as you drive...this gives the path to earth forthe static to discharge to..instead of through you:hug:
hoping this helps

WOW! So now it all makes sense (honest!) lol

Thank you so much Collin for taking the time to explain all that so well.
Can I just ask though . . . why would the electric shock be good for me? (Apart from waking me up that is.)

WOW! So now it all makes sense (honest!) lol

Thank you so much Collin for taking the time to explain all that so well.
Can I just ask though . . . why would the electric shock be good for me? (Apart from waking me up that is.)

erm..well im no Dr Geek...but I understand that a mild electric shock is used as a stimulant in some treatments...to the extreem they use high voltage shock treatments when restarting the heart...

think I had best leave my tecno stuff to the engineering side of things and the rest to someone more qualified :lol:

Good luck down at the car bit's and bob's shop :hug:

I also get it really bad when going shopping. In winter especially. I go to get something off the shelf and zap myself.

it also depends on the soles of your shoes and the carpet in the car.

you could actually be picking up static by moving your feet back and forth on the carpet in the car.

I get it off shopping trolleys all the time my kids hate coming shopping
with me cos I normally zap them aswell.:eek:

I actually electricuted myself today trying to get a broken bulb out
of my lamp and it was switched on:smack: it bloody hurt.

well i gave my dog an electric shock!!:eek::eek: Poor girl only came over for a stroke, i put my hand out, she went to sniff me and i gave her nose an electric shock!! Poor baby! she looked quite stunned, huffed at me and walked away! :eek:

yup me too...whatever i touch ...ZAP!!

I do all the time & it bloody hurts!!! :cry:

I used to get it so bad that I've risked life and limb trying to close the bloody door without touching it, whilst standing in a busy main road. xxx

yup me too...whatever i touch ...ZAP!!

Now you know how a fly feels when he flys into one of those fly zappers things....ZAP :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've often found my car is in need of a new set of HT leads when I start getting shocks, that said, and one for the girlies here, when I'm due on I get electric shocks from everything from the car to shopping trolleys and even my Husband :lol:

How strage it happends to me when i get out my mums car! thought it was just me...glad to see i arent alone.
tip- when closing door-touch glass not the door xxx

i'm always getting shocks,i wear croc flip flops. i think there the main culprit lol:)

Lol i get this when i get out of cars too,
but better still, every time my oh gives me a kiss i give him an electric shock :lol:
whats the reason to that one Collin ?

Lol i get this when i get out of cars too,
but better still, every time my oh gives me a kiss i give him an electric shock :lol:
whats the reason to that one Collin ?

Now that's the kind of woman every man want's to kiss him :hug:

PMSL but why does it happen ?

I als get the shocks from our car doors, but the worst has got to be from the trolleys in Woolies!!! So bad my little girl was hysetrical crying, it blinkin hurt!!! Looking back though its funny, cos it happened about 5-6 times on one trip to Woolies, what people thought I dont know!:eek:

Latest posts

Back