Do you soak or wrap to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's been 1479 views but only 58 replies so lets hope that the other 1421 geeks all wrap or if they didn't they will now after reading this thread and realizing how important it is.
Let us hope so Rinn.

I wrap and was trained to do so, been in the industry just over a year

I still soak off L&P because I rarely have to do it and it is quicker to do so. But I'd never do it every two weeks!! Acetone is not the devil in liquid form you know. Acetone is a perfectly safe chemical and it has worked perfectly well in the salon for 35 years in moderation and still will.

Like Geeg I very rarely have to soak off l&p and but when I needed to I would soak off that was until two weeks ago when I had to remove my daughters l&p before she went into hospital, I applied Vamoos Wraps with CND Nourishing Remover covered with a towel and a heated wheat bag and 20 mins later it came off like a dream!
I have never had such a good result, nothing to scrap the nail plate looked fantastic.
So I used to soak (only l&p not CND Shellac) but I'm now a 100% Wrapper :biggrin:

Like Geeg I very rarely have to soak off l&p and but when I needed to I would soak off that was until two weeks ago when I had to remove my daughters l&p before she went into hospital, I applied Vamoos Wraps with CND Nourishing Remover covered with a towel and a heated wheat bag and 20 mins later it came off like a dream!
I have never had such a good result, nothing to scrap the nail plate looked fantastic.
So I used to soak (only l&p not CND Shellac) but I'm now a 100% Wrapper :biggrin:

OK I'll try it next time .... I can change ... I promise! Lol

Let us hope so Rinn.

I have always wrapped with tinfoil and cotton wool - just like I was trained to do.

BUT now I 'posh' wrap - now that I got me some CND remover wraps :). And I just love the nourishing remover ;-)

I've been in the industry scince 2001 and when I trained at first with Biosculpture and was taught to wrap. I must admit to being a soaker of that in my time many years back, but returned to wrapping a good few years ago. However I am also a great believer in updating ones skills and educating oneself in the latest innovations. To this end I found CND and Sweet squared and Salon Geek and have grown as a nail Technician massively since then. I am 43 and if I and others of much greater experience and years can move with the times why can't others!

I wrap because this is what I was told to do in my training. Been in industry just over 2 years. I have had a few clients wonder what I'm doing because they've their nails soaked and this is by a CND trained professional. Shellac has a bit of a bad name where I am. They say "shellac wrecked my nails".

Hi Geeg, I also wrap and have been doing just nails since 2011.
It seems more professional and a delicate way to do it. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I wrap shellac & brisa, but L&P I soak!! Iv been in the industry 5 years now..oh how time flies! Xx

Iv been in the industry for 7 years. I use magis foil wraps for shellac, bio and i use the thicker padded foils for soaking off acrylic, i never thought they would work but they are amazing and gives the client the freedom of reading a magazine and taking a phone call!!

Hi all

I wrap all gel polish.
Like geeg and izzy I would soak L&P but hardly ever ever have to .
I qualified in beauty and nails 13 years ago and was a soaker until my biosculpture training 12 years ago.

I wrap because its the way I was taught, it's cleaner, easier and quicker. If one finger isn't quite ready it's easier to re wrap then try to stick back in a bowel with 4 fingers out.
It's more comfortable for the client, they don't get that "cold sensation " on there hand/ fingers like you do in a vowel and avoids the risk of over exposure every 2-3 weeks.

I always wrap as that's what I was thought. I trained in 2009 :)

I wrap for my shellac and brisa lite but soak for my L&P. been in the industry for 10 years.

Have to say I get a lot of ladies who have never had the wraps used on them when they've had shellac or a gel system. most, and I hate to say it, say they've had it filed off! I Often get asked what are you doing, I've never had that done before! And that is from the minute their hands go in mine and I start to prep to finishing off with home care! :confused:

How did I miss this thread:?:

I use the wrap method using foil, acetone and cotton pads for all services that require removal. On my cold bodied clients I will use a heat pack but not often.

Ive been doing nails for just over 20yrs now and I will admit, back in the day:) I did use the soak in a horrid bowl method to only end up with wrinkled up white finger tips that felt horrific but this was only done to myself when I wasn't qualified.

Since being qualified in 2010 and opening my own salon, I have used the foil wrap method for everything.
When it comes to L&P or soak off gel (not gel polishes), it's just a matter of taking down some bulk and the wrap method works fine.

I do not feel the costs of wrapping to be expensive (especially since I use foil) and I find it to be cleaner, less damaging on surrounding skin, much less wasteful of products like acetone or whatever remover of your choice, I don't have to worry about client taking hands out of bowl and delaying the removal time and just generally less hassle and I would never return to the soak in the bowl method.

I hope that answered all your questions Geeg:)

I was taught to soak.

I now wrap after using Gelish and being taught to wrap I find this way a lot easier.

I have been in the industry since 2011. :) x

I know D-solve removes Gelish, does the nourishing remover also remove Gelish?

Just wondered.

Yes, I use Nourishing remover to remove Shellac, Gelish and Gelcolor.

I would love to see an acetone gel on the market for even more controlled/specific application.

I would love to see an acetone gel on the market for even more controlled/specific application.
Great minds think alike and I actually had this same idea years ago ... But in a gel form, the acetone would not penetrate to do the job.
Even in a gel form the skin would be exposed.

But .... Why are so many making a demon of Acetone?? The Acetone we use professionally is buffered to protect the skin from excessive dehydration. I happily used D Sperse for years and never had a problem with excessive dehydration and I still use it in actual fact, for polish removal etc. acetone is not a demon chemical ... Is very safe to use but like ANYTHING else use should be controlled and within safe guidelines.

Great minds think alike and I actually had this same idea years ago ... But in a gel form, the acetone would not penetrate to do the job.
Even in a gel form the skin would be exposed.

But .... Why are so many making a demon of Acetone?? The Acetone we use professionally is buffered to protect the skin from excessive dehydration. I happily used D Sperse for years and never had a problem with excessive dehydration and I still use it in actual fact, for polish removal etc. acetone is not a demon chemical ... Is very safe to use but like ANYTHING else use should be controlled and within safe guidelines.

Exactly Geeg:) Seriously, where would our industry be if it wasn't for acetone?!?!
There are hundreds of chemicals we all use on a daily basis without a second thought and as with any chemical, if it's use correctly, it does not pose risks, it's the people (who think they know better than the chemists who make the chemicals) that use it wrong and then biatch:) cause something goes astray.
Our wonderful industry has come along way, yes, back in the day is all we knew was the soak in a deep bowl of acetone, no we know about wraps and this enables us to use less acetone and not be so wasteful with a chemical but it's still acetone, just in a smaller more precise amount and place, instead of in places it wasn't needed.

When I first opened, I used to put cuticle oil around my clients surrounding skin before applying the wrap, then I did my research and discovered the acetone I was using is buffered and it did not dry out the skin or make it all white like I thought it would.
So I stopped doing the oil thing and yes, there is the teeniest bit of white sometimes but 9 times out of 10, there is no white marks and my clients skin is fine.

There is a huge difference between the acetone that is manufactured for our industry and the acetone manufactured for a painter who paints houses or a handyman:) This is why, if you wish to be a professional, you must buy products made for our industry and from reputable suppliers and this way, it will guarantee that you are getting the right and safe products.

Wrap with foils etc. Use Nourishing remover. That's the way I was instructed. Have been a Beauty Therapist since 2004.

Latest posts

Back