Do you soak or wrap to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
it is time we addressed the issue of product removal for gel services and Wrapping off products as opposed to soaking them off in bowls of Acetone!!

Which do you do and why do you choose to do one as opposed to the other? And one further question ... How long have you been in the industry? X

Last edited:
I wrap-think soaking doesn't look as professional. And I find wrapping much quicker to remove product. Plus there's always the fact wrapping doesn't expose acetone to the surrounding skin as much as soaking does x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

I wrap, I don't choose to wrap, I wrap because I use shellac and it's part of the system!

I have had several ladies come to me who have had previously had shellac else where and have asked me what I'm doing when I apply a shellac remover wrap, 'oh the usual place makes me sit with a bowl' they say as they sip their cuppa!

16 years on and off

Last edited:
With great products like CND remover wraps why would anyone soak now?

For me it is like double dipping with wax ... People say they are too expensive. I ask are they too expensive or are you not charging enough? Put your price up up by 50p or a £1.

Mat

As far as I am aware no Gel Polish company advocates soaking off their product, and wrapping should be what everyone does.

Well everyone that researches their product properly, or does the training ;)

I have always wrapped since I started using Gel polish, and after a mild flirtation with Acetone I have always used the recommended removal product from my supplier as it gives much better results.

I use my Shellac Remover Wraps to remove Shellac and/or any other type of soak off gels I encounter as taught in my Shellac training.

I love this method as its simple, no fuss or worry about using excess product plus looks professional. x

Edit: I have been in the industry 6 years and trained in Shellac for 1 year x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I use wraps for shellac and for brisa lite I use foil, if I get a gel polish in that I haven't done then I would wrap with foil.

L&p I now use foil wraps. I very rarely use my soaker that you out warm water in, actually I can't remember the last time.

Wanted to add I use warm wheat bags too, to warm the clients hands and also it makes them keep them still ;)

Edit been trained in shellac 6 months

Last edited:
I wrap to remove as I use Shellac/Brisa and wouldn't think to remove any other way!

I qualified in CND L&P in 2001, worked in the industry on/off. Then in 2011 did Nail Services NVQ level 2. (Although mainly college trained, I stick to CND principles).

Last edited:
I've always used wraps on clients,ever since I was shown at the launch way back in 2010.

As said above.... It's part of the Shellac System 😊 x

I qualified in 2009, so nearly 4 years now after a career change x

Last edited:
Can I ask those of you who responded to edit your posts and answer a further question for me? Could you please jot down the number of years you have been working in the industry please? Thank you.

I wrap to remove gel polish, I have been in the industry for two years.

I wrap, I always have. With shellac/brisa lite and biosculpture who I originally trained with 5 years ago. Before I trained I used to go somewhere that removed soak off gel by soaking in acetone in a bowl. I hated it and it always took an age so it was a no brainer for me.

wrap with official cnd wraps on hands
maggi foils on toes

been doing shellac since august 2012

wrapping is the method i was taught
and i use full shellac system
plus want to avoid over exposure

At home I wrap with the remover but in the salon the boss makes us soak with acetone, she also only provides cheap top coat which I don't agree with so I just use my own, she also uses other brands with shellac base coat and cheap top coat, winds me up no end, I have been in the industry 4 years.

I wrap, I don't choose to wrap, I wrap because I use shellac and it's part of the system!

I have had several ladies come to me who have had previously had shellac else where and have asked me what I'm doing when I apply a shellac remover wrap, 'oh the usual place makes me sit with a bowl' they say as they sip their cuppa!
Interesting! Do others hear the same tale from new clients?

Yes, hear it all the time. I guess all we can do is keep educating our clients 😳 x

I have only ever used wraps, I have been in the industry for 5 years and doing Shellac for 2 years - I am not trained in enhancements, only Shellac xx

I would really like to know why it is that beauty therapists tend to follow instructions to the letter when it comes to new, advanced, and better methods but 'nail technicians' stick to doing things the way they did 20 years ago and resist change when clearly more knowledge about and the new methods of removal are healthier for the clients nails and more effective without compromising the next service?

It's. so stupid! Why do they do it?

We are seeing service problems and excessive dehydration to natural nails after weeks of service, purely and simply because nail technicians won't adopt new and better methods!

Gel services should be wrapped off NOT soaked off. And stubborn product should be removed without scraping.

These people who are causing damage and dehydration to clients nails better 'wake up and smell the coffee soon, or this wonderful service (that done correctly causes no damage) is going to get a bad reputation and all our businesses are going to suffer for it!

I wrap

I've been trained to do this and I've been in the industry a month.

I've tried the soaking off in a bowl of acetone method on my own nails before commencing training and I don't like it.

Fingers felt overly dry, you use a lot of acetone and it's more smelly to me.

I find that wrapping is more effective, but this is only on gel nails as I have not had to remove enhancements/tips (not had training) so I don't know how effective a wrap would be on them.

Latest posts

Back