Do you soak or wrap to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a nail tech since Jan 2013, went to school starting in September 2012. In school I was taught to soak but once I got online and started doing my research, I decided I would wrap. I also use CND, so that also is why I wrap, because I use their system.

I would really like to know why it is that beauty therapists tend to follow instructions to the letter when it comes to new, advanced, and better methods but 'nail technicians' stick to doing things the way they did 20 years ago and resist change when clearly more knowledge about and the new methods of removal are healthier for the clients nails and more effective without compromising the next service?

It's. so stupid! Why do they do it?

We are seeing service problems and excessive dehydration to natural nails after weeks of service, purely and simply because nail technicians won't adopt new and better methods!

Gel services should be wrapped off NOT soaked off. And stubborn product should be removed without scraping.

These people who are causing damage and dehydration to clients nails better 'wake up and smell the coffee soon, or this wonderful service (that done correctly causes no damage) is going to get a bad reputation and all our businesses are going to suffer for it!
This could be something to do with it, however my clients that have had "Shellac" previously soaked off are ex NSS clients, who also wonder why I do a full PREP before applying the products.
The only thing we can do is educate clients about the health of their nails and give a good service.

I would really like to know why it is that beauty therapists tend to follow instructions to the letter when it comes to new, advanced, and better methods but 'nail technicians' stick to doing things the way they did 20 years ago and resist change when clearly more knowledge about and the new methods of removal are healthier for the clients nails and more effective without compromising the next service?

It's. so stupid! Why do they do it?

We are seeing service problems and excessive dehydration to natural nails after weeks of service, purely and simply because nail technicians won't adopt new and better methods!

Gel services should be wrapped off NOT soaked off. And stubborn product should be removed without scraping.

These people who are causing damage and dehydration to clients nails better 'wake up and smell the coffee soon, or this wonderful service (that done correctly causes no damage) is going to get a bad reputation and all our businesses are going to suffer for it!

You say some nail techs are still doing the same things as they did 20 yrs ago.

It might be because people get set in their ways, they get used to doing things in a particular way, some older people don't like change or new technology, it scares them. (not all older people might i add :biggrin:)

EG: It's like a lady in her 60's, still wearing the same make up as she did in the 60's/70's.
They find something they like and they stick with it.

Maybe?

I think some of it is what people are being taught at college. my last salon job had a beauty and nail training school attached and I know the students were taught to remove products by soaking in large bowls of acetone x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I wrap for shellac and Brisa lite. Have been in the industry since 2011.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

In quite new to the industry, due to qualify at college this June and done my Shellac training through CND in March.
I've been taught to use remover wraps and nourishing remover which I have every intention on doing but at the moment when practising they don't always work too well for me :(
I don't know whether I'm not putting enough product on them and I know I'm leaving it the correct amount of time but it seems no matter how tight I wrap them they arnt bringing off all the shellac.
I shall however continue to persevere ! :) practice makes perfect xxx

I've alway wrapped with my own private clients although I have been forced to soak off shellac in a bowl when I worked for a well known spa. Even though I explained to my manager that is not the proper way, why are we doing it this way she just said its more cost effective. I wasn't there much longer after that.

I've been in the industry almost 6 years.

Wrap. Trained at college 4 years ago & was taught to soak. But then I was taught to push back the cuticles with the end of a nail file. I am now CND trained x

I wrap to remove Shellac and other gel polishes. I also wrap for l&p and BL smoothing gel. I just removed my BL sculpted enhancements last night, and my nails look and feel great. This is the first time I've removed the BL sculpting gel. I wish I would have done this removal method years ago. It more effective and less drying to the nail plate and cuticle. Doing nails since 1995.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Wrap to remove as this was the way I trained also must be more economical as well as professional
Been using shellac for a year

Vicki x

I also wrap, and do the same for l&p. Although I qualified 3 years ago, I have had training in the past, that used the soaking method :/

I always wrap and have done since I started using gel polish more than two years ago (Gelish, Gelicure and now OPI). I use D-Solve, best remover on the market in my opinion.

Actually, on the odd occasion now when I remove enhancements, I also wrap them. I haven't used my old soak off bowl for years now.

Wrapping for all systems seems to be quicker, cleaner, you use less product, its more comfortable for the client with less exposure (particularly now we are all doing it more often with gel polish), and it looks more professional.

I have been in the industry for 10 years.

I also wrap using the CND wraps. I do this because, as others have said, it's part of the CND shellac system.

I've been working with nails for 7 years and been working as a holistic therapist for 16.

I'm a wrapper

I use foil and CND nourishing remover for removal of Shellac and enhancements. I've been using this method for removal of enhancements for about the last 5 years, before that I always soaked enhancements in a bowl of acetone.

There's so many advantages of using the wrap method for removing enhancements, its isn't so drying, its faster, you don't have to carry silly large soak off bowls around (I used to use the one you fill with warm water), you can wrap one replacement nail while working on the others, less product is used ...the list goes on. :)

I've been an L&P enhancement technician for 20 years and have used Shellac and gelish for 2 years.

I always wrap, I've been in the industry for one year. I also get plenty of clients who don't know what the wraps are and say that their previous salon had them soak and then scrape the product off the nail. These are the clients who also say they don't want "that shellac stuff" because it ruins their nails. Ugh.

I'm a wrapper too..can't understand why anyone would soak. Asides from compromising nail health, it is a massive waste of product!
Wrapping is so much neater and way more effective.
I've been in industry for 2 years.

I have been in the industry since 2010.

I was taught in college to soak nails in bowl of acetone for nail enhancement removal and did so for the first 2 years.

I did my shellac training about a year ago and was taught on the training day to remove any bits of stubborn shellac with a orange wood stick. I always have used the shellac remover wraps, and since the launch of the nourishing remover have used that as well to take shellac off (previously used acetone).

Through continued learning (mainly here on salon geek) I have since adapted my techniques and now wrap enhancements off with foils and cotton wool soaking in nourishing remover. and have stopped using an orange wood stick for getting the stubborn bits of and now just use a lint free pad and a good bit of elbow grease :)

I am always open to adapting my techniques if it is for the benefit of my clients nails.

I too often hear from clients that they are soaking them in bowls of acetone to remove shellac, and many do not want to try it as they've had a bad experience however i do educate my clients on how i remove it and how it will not damage there nails, not everyone is won over straight away but i do feel it sets me apart from the competition and I have already seen my clients increase because of it :) (i'm fairly new to being self employed in a salon)

I wrap when using Shellac and Brisa Lite and my current gel system but with the recommended removers and not acetone.

I have been in the business since 2010.

I use shellac and I have always wrapped off and always will. I use foil and cotton because I can never get the hang of the CND wraps. I'm using up the last of my dsolve then I will switch to the nourishing remover. I use the nourishing for those clients that need it at the moment until the dsolve is gone.

I trained in nails back in 2005 and trained in acrylics too. Never really did anything back then but when I did it was soaking off. I've been using shellac for 2 years now.

I had a new client in this week who usually has shellac applied at a salon in town. She was shocked to see I wrapped off, they soak off even on toes! Talk about awkward positions for clients to sit in. They scrape the product off with their nails and don't use a CND lamp. I'm beyond shocked because I thought they were a high end salon! Cheers me up though because I know I am the only one on my town providing a 100% genuine CND shellac service from start to removal.

Xx

I wrap too. I've been in the industry 10 years

Latest posts

Back