Do you think the poor economy will affect business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailedON

Reaction score
Hi as a newbie (I'm hoping to be qualified this summer in ITEC Beauty) I'm a bit anxious about how the poor economy may affect all aspects of the beauty industry this summer.

On the BBC news this morning they were discussing how people will make cut backs on their luxuries. A lady from "Good Housekeeping" magazine said they have an article in this month's edition, explaining how to purcahse products to enable them to do a whole summers worth of pedicures for the cost of one treatment in a salon!

Am I coming into the profession at a bad time? I seem to be doing evertying wrong this year, we are trying to sell our house as well!

Can any of you reassure me please.:cry:

Thanks Claire x

I wondered the same thing just before Christmas when talk of recession first started.....and posted a thread, but it got some good responses which at the time settled a lot of fears. Here it is if you want to read it http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/63591-recession-you.html

Now the 'credit crunch' has hit us maybe now would be a good time to discuss this again and hopefully allay any fears.....good thread.

I also saw the lady from Good Housekeeping on BBC1 this morning and I've already forgotten what she said! I do think the news programmes and press tend to blow things out of proportion. I don't think people are struggling as much as is made out, yet, certainly not in my area.

We always find money for things that make us happy - the number of people that I know who are "strapped for cash" but still find enough money to finance their 40 a day smoking habit never ceases to amaze me!

I think people will be a bit careful how they spend their money....BUT....we all work hard long hours and sometimes we will say i deserve a treat so will have one.....that will be nails,hair and skin.....

As the saying goes....watch your penny's....ALSO treat yourself now and again.....xx

I have already lost one client because she and her husband had their house repossessed. Very sad.

However, I am still getting new clients on a regular basis. I suppose the thing with our business is that there will always be people out there who can afford to have luxury treatments and will continue to do so regardless of the nation's financial well-being.

Hi ya,

Im the same just coming into the business. I think people will be bit more thrifty with their money, but then I also think alot of people will still make the time and find the money for treatments. Alot of people see it as an escape, me time and for some its contact and conversation.

So I think you'll be fine.

I agree with drew, I think that people will still need to de-stress and have a little me time, they may not do it as often but I dont think they will give up completely.

I had a new client today for a facial, which went well by the way my blogging geeky pals (as you said it would), and she has booked a pedicure as well, in fact she is comming to me as she found the local salon too busy and could never get in when she wanted to.

So there you go and dont worry too much. :hug:

I think there will always be churn amongst our clients, which is no bad thing. For everyone who is finding it a pinch there will be someone who decides that now is not the time to buy that house/car/holiday so will compensate by buying our services.
Courage, mes braves!
:)

'how long is a piece of string?'.....................as already mentioned, you lose some you gain some!

I would say I am BUSIER now than the same time last year.

I also tell my clients that they are L'oreal clients, 'because they are worth it!'.

I would say my phone rings less than perhaps it did this time last year - so I imagine newbies into nails and beauty may have to be a little more patient with new clients/referals - building their clientel.

But I have lots of bookings for the summer. People will still go on holiday.

People really should be more careful with their finances. I don't think they should give up things that make them truly happy but they could cutback on eating out so much and buying expensive clothes and wearing them only once. The adverts really make us believe we need that handbag or those shoes when we don't.

xxx

A Big "Thank You" to you all for taking the time to reply to my thread. I feel a little reassured. As one of you said (sorry don't know how to quickly go back to get your name) it may take more patience and determination to get initial clients.

Cheers X :hug:

I agree with what has already been said tbh!
Ive got to say I havent lost any clients, but a few have started not coming so often! A few of the regular enhancement wearers have now switched to a regular manicure, becasue they cannot afford the re-balances!

I have discussed this before with fellow Geek Zingara (Lyndsay), and we live in Wales, I feel that particulaly where I live, having your nails done is definately a luxury and not a nessecity!!

I should imagine everyone is feeling the pinch!
xxxxx:hug:

I haven't lost any clients due to this, but I have noticed people are trying to go longer between appointments which is leaving both them and me dissatisfied! They book, they cancel (or forget - grrrrr) then re-book the next week, end up paying more for repairs etc :rolleyes:

Having said that, I know some of my clients would rather go without food than nails lol

i am a newbie and so far am doing ok for new clients...i only work 1/2 days a week so probably wouldnt really notice it as much....the few clients i have lost i have put down to being a newbie rather than money. i think that from what i have read/ watched on the news this 'mini recession' is not going to affect everyone. The way i look at it the industry survived the last one in the 80's and will this one too.... i am pretty sure i have heard from some who were in the industry then i.e. geeg that it was really ok. (dont quote me).

It's happening here in AUS too and I think it will effect things.

Some women have no choice, it's the husbands that hold the purse strings.

Interest rates are going through the roof here and people have to pay more off their loans per month (yet no extra income coming in).

Budgets have to be done and some things may have to be cut out. Some husbands/men don't understand the importance of nails and they may be the first thing to go. Hair may have to wait longer between visits (men also don't understand why womens hair can be $200, when they get theirs cut for $20) and facials, waxing etc will also suffer.

Clients may not take off their nails, but they may look for a cheaper alternative to us (they may hate it, but it's better than no nails at all).

Hair will get longer (dark roots will become fashionable), beavers will get bushier, tans will pale longer and open toed shoes will be put away.

I am combating this by offering more services (gels, including toes, even though it's winter), Popits and Freeforms to cut time, doing specials (i've halved my prices for some services to fill spaces), being more flexible with my times (sometimes working later, sometimes starting earlier).

Some clients/services I would normlly say "no" to, I am doing...... It's all about filling in my time and my appointment book.

Recently I have had a few clients move interstate (it's cheaper than Sydney), some for relationships, and just last week a local company went belly up that employed 3 clients of mine (they no longer have to come into this area) and they are unemployed (it's not their fault, nor mine).

Times are changing ..... so must we. It's not bleak, it's just gonna be "different".

Some women have no choice, it's the husbands that hold the purse strings.

I agree with that Carl!! A few husbands have stopped their wives coming to have treatments with me becasue of the money issue!
My hubby is one that doesnt like me to treat myself simply because it costs too much! lol!!

Latest posts

Back