Do you use a computer with broadband in your salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
I'm interested to know how many people who use computers in their salons also have broadband internet on those computers.

As I'm wondering whether an online salon management application would be feasible compared to a standard Windows program that you would install off CD or whatever.

And if you don't have broadband, would you consider getting it (either via a land line or a mobile USB thingy) if it meant being able to run an online salon management system via a web browser?

I have just taken on a mobile broadband package, dell notebook and mobile broadband for £25 a month, first 3 months free...so yeswill be doing infact I need the internet at the salon!! :green:

I had planned to have laptop & broadband at the salon so could do books inbetween clients and eventually have an appointment system on the pc rather than a book.

Unfortunatly I took out mobile broadband with 3 and could not get any signal for love nor money at the salon, or my home address or even my parents house all three in different towns ! I got that fed up I cancelled within the 14 days and didn't bother with it again.

Forgive my computer speak ignorance lol but when you say online salon management is that an online appointment system ? Or is it completley different ?

i do via a t-mobile dongle and I am also looking for a salon management system soon too

I had planned to have laptop & broadband at the salon so could do books inbetween clients and eventually have an appointment system on the pc rather than a book.

Unfortunatly I took out mobile broadband with 3 and could not get any signal for love nor money at the salon, or my home address or even my parents house all three in different towns ! I got that fed up I cancelled within the 14 days and didn't bother with it again.

Forgive my computer speak ignorance lol but when you say online salon management is that an online appointment system ? Or is it completley different ?

Ah that's not so good if the "3" reception was no use. I've just got a Vodafone dongle, and they are meant to be the fastest in areas that have the right sort of 3G reception and whatnot.

The online salon management system I'm mulling over would include an online appointment system, so would also make it possible for clients to book appointments online via the salon's website. But it would also maintain a client's appointment history and any contra-indications etc. Plus offering marketing functionality like sending marketing emails and SMS text messages to clients who have signed up to your mailing list. And reporting functionality showing which treatments are most profitable etc.

I have a laptop in the salon and we have orange broadband and we are wireless. Are you thinking of developing a salon management system?

I have a laptop in the salon and we have orange broadband and we are wireless. Are you thinking of developing a salon management system?

Yes, I am. I have the technical knowledge (I've been working in IT since 1996 and with Java since 2000), it's just finding the time. So far, I've just designed a few websites for geeks on here, and developed the Salon Guinea Pig web site, Salon Guinea Pig - Find people for practising treatments, training courses, competitions, etc. - which is an XML database driven site where people can sign up to be volunteers for people who need models for training courses, competitions, etc. That was more a proof of concept though; although it works OK, there are things I would do differently now.

Am thinking of making it an online system too, as that is where the majority of my expertise lies (developing Java-based web applications), and it also has the advantage of working "just like that" for anyone who has a reasonably up-to-date web browser and an internet connection. Having just got a laptop with Windows Vista on it and seeing how fussy it is, there's no way I'd want to develop some stand alone software that has to be installed, and then find that it doesn't work on Vista even though it works just fine on XP...

I have the extensions salon software at work. I also have broadband which was free. I have a complete computer system in reception and have a lap tap too to catch up on salon geek! You're not too far from me so if you wanted to have a look and see how it works then you're more than welcome :)

Oh is this the one we were talking about that mobile techs could use?

I would definately be interested in this Ruth.

I have been looking at several systems and broadband/mobile broadband deals but have given up cause I cant find one that does everything I need?:eek:

But you know me, I'm useless at these things. :lol:

Not sure if I'd want clients booking their own appointments though, could facilities that you dont require be disabled?

I would definately be interested in this Ruth.

I have been looking at several systems and broadband/mobile broadband deals but have given up cause I cant find one that does everything I need?:eek:

But you know me, I'm useless at these things. :lol:

Not sure if I'd want clients booking their own appointments though, could facilities that you dont require be disabled?

But of course :)

I'm going to write everything using the Spring Framework, so everything is going to be modular, and if you don't want clients booking their own appointments, then it's as simple as omitting that particular module from the configuration.

Also, the ability to have clients booking their own appointments is also dependent on integrating the application with a customer-facing web site too, as opposed to the password-protected site that a salon would use.

Oh is this the one we were talking about that mobile techs could use?

If they've got mobile broadband and a laptop, then yes :)

I have the extensions salon software at work. I also have broadband which was free. I have a complete computer system in reception and have a lap tap too to catch up on salon geek! You're not too far from me so if you wanted to have a look and see how it works then you're more than welcome :)

That would be fab sometime when I'm nearer to getting something working, thanks for the offer :)

As I'm wondering whether an online salon management application would be feasible compared to a standard Windows program that you would install off CD or whatever.

I am going to go off on a little bit of tangent here as I am always dubious regarding online applications and collection of data.

Would this application store all the customers information remotely or on your local system, if they are held on a remote server who has contol over the server, what will be in place to make sure clients details are secure, what happens if servers go down...

I am going to go off on a little bit of tangent here as I am always dubious regarding online applications and collection of data.

Would this application store all the customers information remotely or on your local system, if they are held on a remote server who has contol over the server, what will be in place to make sure clients details are secure, what happens if servers go down...

I like your thinking :)

Well, for starters, I'm registered with the information commissioner's office, so everything is kosher in terms of the data protection act.

Initially, the application will run on my own server that I have absolute control of. However, ultimately, I'm thinking more in terms of a design where there would be a local database and Java app server running on the computer at the salon, thus providing back-up if there is an outage. This would synchronise with the central server using a mechanism such as web services over SSL.

In terms of security, the web application itself would be secured using Spring Security, and further steps could be taken to secure a salon's log in, such as requiring the client browser to supply a certificate as well as standard login credentials (e.g. username and password). Then, there's the possibility of encrypting confidential client data on the server.

Lots to think about though!

Hey ruth I have broadband and it is great that the company I'm with can log into my machine and fix probs - never actually had one - also my reminder texts are going out each day.
I couldnt live without broadband it has to be fast and it has to right now. I often email, print reports and geek at the same time!

Hi Ruth
Def something I would seriously consider....

Ruth,

I have been looking for this solution. Someone mentioned icomplete in this forum, i signed up for a trial but could not see the online stuff, so don't know how theirs work.

I have a wireless laptop and I use ZEN for internet (most reliable). I actually have my laptop in my room, use it to play music and also clients and I can surf the net when we want to.

I am not a pen and paper person. More and more people are browsing on mobiles now so I think an online component for booking is essential. This also takes away incorrect booking time discrepancies.

I have over a decade of IT experience so I am happy to do user testing for you:)

Ruth,

I have been looking for this solution. Someone mentioned icomplete in this forum, i signed up for a trial but could not see the online stuff, so don't know how theirs work.

I have a wireless laptop and I use ZEN for internet (most reliable). I actually have my laptop in my room, use it to play music and also clients and I can surf the net when we want to.

I am not a pen and paper person. More and more people are browsing on mobiles now so I think an online component for booking is essential. This also takes away incorrect booking time discrepancies.

I have over a decade of IT experience so I am happy to do user testing for you:)

Cool, thank you :)

Well, Sonia is going in to hospital today (if they have a bed free for her in time, such is the NHS tut tut) and we're taking laptops with us, so hopefully I'll have a chance to start work on something while I'm up in Wakefield with her. We're a right pair of geeks; she's just been getting her own laptop ready with enough games and stuff to keep her occupied on there. Will keep you posted :)

When i enquired about using xtensions they let me have a free trial for a week. They downloaded onto my laptop at home so i could have a play about and see if i liked it. Maybe you can give them a call and have a free trial to see what it's like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back