Doctor was no help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlepinkfairy

Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some useful advice as i went to the doctor and he was rubbish! I've hurt my shoulder, i'm not sure what i've done but the muscle by my shoulder blade is constantly hurting. I've tried taking ibuprofen like the doc advised but nothing, i've had somebody give it a good rub and i've put a hot water bottle on it for an hour but nothing is easing the pain. I'm in agony!! Can anybody recommend anything? It's been hurting for 4 days now. :cry: :cry:

I get something like this, feels achy for a few days then seizes up totally, it is down to stress with me, i do exercises to get rid of it, i roll my shoulders forward and back both together then one at a time, i also exercise my neck with rolling movements hth hun

thanks, i'll give it a go! XX

Go and see a physiotherapist hun.

I have had a shoulder problem since last May. I left it till about September to go the docs.

Had exactly the same advice as you did- ibuprofen and paracetamol but it kills me stomach.

Eventually I was referred to physio - no help. Told I had an impingement.

Then was referred to hospital.

Now told that shoulder injurys can take as long as 2 yrs to heal and I am half way through recovery and any ops or injections will prolong the healing.

Just had to live with it. Dont you feel as though your just not important?

Book yourself in for a proper massage, preferably with someone who does remedial massage. You should be able to get at least some relief from that.
Are you taking the ibuprofen regularly? They need to be taken three times a day (with food) to keep the medication in your system, so that the anti-inflammatory effects have a chance to kick in properly.

Hth's.

get this at odd times.

I used to get it when I ran with school but I get it now if I go on long walks.

I also got this when I was under anesthetic having Emily.

It is worse though if I have lay funny, had my neck in one position for too long or am tired and uptight!

Go to a chiropracter hun - best thing ever. I had it really bad at school and it cured it for years until Emily came along.

I go to an Osteopath and she is fantastic,I have major back probs and the only thing that helps is a really deep massage and realignment(crunching)

Tried physio but didn't really help,although they do give you good exercises to do at home.So long winded and I didn't find they relieve the pain as my Osteo does.JMHO though.

Perhaps try some infra red treatment or audio sonic.Check your stance when doing massage etc,and perhaps look at your pillow,how many are you sleeping on?and look at your matress,is it supporting your back correctly?

Is the pain in the joint or Trapezius if it's muscular then a sports massage could help.

Hope these suggestions help.:green:

Any pain in your shoulders or back you need to get sorted.

Dont let your doctor fob you off with ibuprofen if they upset your tummy, there are loads of drugs they can prescribe instead. I went through hell last year with my neck, shoulder and left arm due to a slipped disc and trapped nerve and I can't take any anti-inflammatories. I have to take diazepam, amyiltryptaline(sp) and an anti-sickness tablet. These relax the muscles and do help. I also had morphine patches and Oxycontin which I believe is used for cancer patients that are in pain.

I am hyper-mobile which means I move my joints more than most people and my muscles and ligaments stretch too much doing normal day to day things. I can slip a disc in my sleep!!

I am on the mend now, but it's a long slow process. You need to take it easy and maybe take a few days off to rest.

Also, look at your working position, this may have something to do with why you are suffering. If you do a seach there is a thread By Geeg called Are you Sitting Comfortable. Read that, maybe you can improve on your working position and help yourself.

HTH

Rachel

If your shoulder pain is on-going, I would suggest that you perhaps consider visiting a chiropractor.

There is a British Chriopractor Association which will give you the nearest practitioner to you ... all you have to do is enter your postcode in the box located top right of the website homepage:

British Chiropractic Association

Hoping you feel lots better soon :hug:

I would try a sports or remedial massage combined with physiotherapy.
If it muscle realated,then a remedial massage would really help,and having deep tissue would eliviate it.
However one massage alone would only be short term so i would always reccommend a course of weekly massages preferably at least 4 or 5.

Arnica gel from SBC is very good ,because if you are taking painkillers and you are over that "4 hour period" and are still in pain you can use it liberally,WITHOUT massaging so its easy to apply.hth.

Let us know how you get on.:confused:

With anything like that i never go to the doctors.If someone can recommend a oesteopath or chiropractor they really do work but i wouldn't just get one out of the yellow pages because they can vary so much ask around and get one on recommendation.

thankyou everybody for all of your replies, i am going to try and book a sports massage first to see if that helps, if not then i will look in to getting physio etc. Thanks again xxxxx:)

what about a tens machine i had one for my back and it was a god send.
hope you feel better soon.:hug:

try a massage first. a simple aromatherapy massage once cured my bad shoulder i had had for weeks!

If your shoulder pain is on-going, I would suggest that you perhaps consider visiting a chiropractor.

There is a British Chriopractor Association which will give you the nearest practitioner to you ... all you have to do is enter your postcode in the box located top right of the website homepage:

British Chiropractic Association

Hoping you feel lots better soon :hug:

I agree, chiropractic is brilliant. Expensive. But brilliant, well worth going. If they can't help you they will say so and refer you on but if it was me this would be the first place I'd go.

I hate to tell you this but you will likely need to go get a second opinion, but try the ani inflamatories first. For some injuries, massage and or physio will help and rectify the problem but for others problems it won't touch it. I had shoulder problems for several years and finally I had a MRI which confirmed the diagnosis. I ended up having a major surgery called a Bankart Repair. This took a long time to recover from and it required a ton of physio. It was not fun but am I glad I went through with it? YES!!

Anti inflamatories are a starting point which is very common for doctors to begin with. Sometimes it's a bit of an inflamation that is causing the problem. If it continues, then you will need to continue to seek further assesssments to sort it all out.

Wishing you all the best. Shoulder pain can be very uncomfortable.

An x ray will confirm whether you have any bones out of place or not and this would help determine your course of action. A chiropractic college would be prepared to do these for you for a small fee, if you have one near you. hth xx

(sorry, don't mean to keep on about chiropractors, not everyone likes them, but mine has helped me out such a lot when all else has failed. I just love her!)

I hate to tell you this but you will likely need to go get a second opinion, but try the ani inflamatories first. For some injuries, massage and or physio will help and rectify the problem but for others problems it won't touch it. I had shoulder problems for several years and finally I had a MRI which confirmed the diagnosis. I ended up having a major surgery called a Bankart Repair. This took a long time to recover from and it required a ton of physio. It was not fun but am I glad I went through with it? YES!!

Anti inflamatories are a starting point which is very common for doctors to begin with. Sometimes it's a bit of an inflamation that is causing the problem. If it continues, then you will need to continue to seek further assesssments to sort it all out.

Wishing you all the best. Shoulder pain can be very uncomfortable.

Oh no!!! I hope i don't need surgury! Thank you very much for your advice xxx

An x ray will confirm whether you have any bones out of place or not and this would help determine your course of action. A chiropractic college would be prepared to do these for you for a small fee, if you have one near you. hth xx

(sorry, don't mean to keep on about chiropractors, not everyone likes them, but mine has helped me out such a lot when all else has failed. I just love her!)

Thank you also for your advice, i had a sports massage yesterday and my therapist ( who was very nice) said i would feel sore for a couple of days but then it should feel looser. ( Looser might not be a real word:confused: ) So i think a chiropractor will be the next stop if it doesn't ease up. It feels a bit better but the pain hasn't quite gone!

Thanks again to everybody who has replied i really appreciate it :hug:

How is your shoulder doing now? Were you able to get in to have a massage? I hope it's on the mend!:hug:

Latest posts

Back