Double dipping news please read

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about using a metal spatula and wiping it with surgical spirit or cleaner after each dip.

Time is the big cost here with doing that.

Mat

I dip and drizzle and honestly dont find it time consuming. I suppose I have just quickened up?

having said that, when i do legs i use the roller system, I use clean new rollers, and cartridge for each client and alternate between two-three rollers and make sure i have used them up and then bin them. I suppose its the same as Fozzyos method of spatula usage.

tigi
xxx

I never double dip when using wooden spats and I only use them for hot wax - Intimate, under arms, nostrils etc.

I do double dip when I use large metal spats but I only use them to apply to un-open pores. If I need to re-apply over a small area, I use a wooden spat.

This drives me a bit mental, your spatula does not touch the client, the wax touches the client and the other side of the wax touches the spatula.
So if your spatula goes back into the pot, the only thing it has touched is the wax.
There for, the important thing here is to keep your wax covered when not in use, keep your work area clean, keep yourself clean and all of your implements sanitised and stored in a sanitised container.
Kim trained me, so like her I work with a metal spatula for warm wax and wooden for hot wax.
Like Kim I don't double dip my wooden spatula's but my personal thought on this is that I do this to make my client feel more comfortable not because I'm worried about double dipping.
I can't remember who told us how, when she started in the beauty industry they used to sieve the used wax strips at the end of the day.
Now that is truly gross:Scared:

This drives me a bit mental, your spatula does not touch the client, the wax touches the client and the other side of the wax touches the spatula.
So if your spatula goes back into the pot, the only thing it has touched is the wax.
There for, the important thing here is to keep your wax covered when not in use, keep your work area clean, keep yourself clean and all of your implements sanitised and stored in a sanitised container.
Kim trained me, so like her I work with a metal spatula for warm wax and wooden for hot wax.
Like Kim I don't double dip my wooden spatula's but my personal thought on this is that I do this to make my client feel more comfortable not because I'm worried about double dipping.
I can't remember who told us how, when she started in the beauty industry they used to sieve the used wax strips at the end of the day.
Now that is truly gross:Scared:

Amen Susie!

In Paris, they still love the wax that is sieved and Perron Rigot sell a huge chamber like machine that does sieve the wax and the clients love it. Horses for courses I guess. xx

Ditto with the way Kim does things with metal and wooden spatulas - this is how I was trained in Oz.

Clients can see that I bin each wooden spatula after applying the wax. It gives them peace of mind that I don't reuse the same spatula. It's also something I look for in a therapist waxing me too.

With the price of spatulas, cost should never be an issue because they're the cheapest beauty item I buy.

First off the Dip & Drizzle idea / training, in my view, is just a pointless waste of time! And that is the most expensive aspect of your treatment cost ... time. By doing this you are wasting soo much time waiting for the wax drip onto another spatula.

I have a very simple setup that works incredibly well for speed waxing techniques. First of all a supply of spatulas in a jar on my trolley, then under the side of my table a small plastic bin with appropriate liner.

I dip my spatula in the wax, remove the excess and then apply a big thin coat of wax to the area waxing. And then I just drop that spatula into the bin, turn to my trolley, pick up my next spatula and repeat.

I have explained this to therapists and they will come back and say "Oh my god but that is so expensive! Do you not realise how many spatulas you are using and how much that costs?" Actually yes I do ... peanuts. My most popular waxing is a back and shoulders. Lets just say I had no idea what I was doing and somehow managed to use 50 spatulas for this one treatment that would cost me a whole 57p (inc VAT) ... on a £25 treatment I'm not complaining!

I use the no-double dip as a marketing tool! Works wonders.

Mat

I do similar with my trolley, but I break my spatulas in half length ways so have a shorter spatula, but each spatula does double the job!

Here in beautiful Western Australia I am now adding the service of waxing to my clents. 'Double dipping', metal spatulas, wood or plastic....all very interesting. Think I'll run with the wooden spatulas. Not only is it safer and better for my client, but as Fozzyo explained - wonderful marketing.

As for which product to use: does anyone know of a Perron supplier in Australia? How does Perron compare to Caron?

And how can I win a trip Kim Lawless' for some training? :biggrin:

Cheers,
Bobbie

Here in beautiful Western Australia I am now adding the service of waxing to my clents. 'Double dipping', metal spatulas, wood or plastic....all very interesting. Think I'll run with the wooden spatulas. Not only is it safer and better for my client, but as Fozzyo explained - wonderful marketing.

As for which product to use: does anyone know of a Perron supplier in Australia? How does Perron compare to Caron?

And how can I win a trip Kim Lawless' for some training? :biggrin:

Cheers,
Bobbie

I've looked and looked for an Oz supplier and can't find one. Lycon is a good quality Brisbane manufactured brand. There are UK geeks on here that are Lycon fans so it is a good brand - give it a go.

You really should NOT be waxing someone with a coldsore in the area anyway. These are highly contagious!

I know, I said I wasn't happy about doing the treatment to this one lady but as she had a wedding and was going to be in the family photos. at her request i done the opposite side to the cold sore and she said she would do the rest at home.

I was taught in school that if you use a metal spatula then it's not a big deal to double dip because it says sanitary ect. Do you agree on that? or do you all use wooden spatulas and use the same tub for everyone and just switch out a new spatula per client? I am not sure what to do about this.

I must say after reading that habia page it actually basically says do not double dip (in a long winded way lol) yeah spatulas are cheap as chips but it's up to the individual what they prefer. The more you practice single dipping the less spatulas will be used.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Not so. This is what it says...

"If spatulas are used and blood spotting occurs, they should be disposed of before continuing with the service. The area must be wiped and the spatula replaced."

My interpretation of this is, Habia find double-dipping acceptable EXCEPT when blood spotting occurs. And... they use the same wording for intimate waxing:eek:

What about using a metal spatula and wiping it with surgical spirit or cleaner after each dip.I wonder if that would be acceptable.
I wonder where the wood comes for the spatulas.They may be cheap but not so good for the enviroment when everyone is using hundreds a day.
Im glad ive got a roller.One clean head each client and no!, evidently there is no flowing back into the cartridge thats what clean and easy say anyway.

I am absolutely horrified by all the people here double-dipping.

Allow me to share some knowledge with you: genital herpes is called HSV 2. It is contracted via the virus entering an opening in the body or mucous membrane ie. mouth, nose, eyes, genitals, a cut or even the tiniest of tears in the skin. 80% OF PEOPLE WHO CONTRACT HSV 2 CONTRACTED IT WHILST THEIR PARTNER DID NOT HAVE AN OUTBREAK.

What does this mean for us? Herpes lives in the nerve roots of the body in the skin. At all times, the body is in a stage called "viral shedding" which is when skin cells carrying the virus are sloughed off, just like skin normally comes off.

Where does this occur? FROM THE LOWER STOMACH ALL THE WAY TO THE MID THIGH.

You all need a serious reality check. Genital herpes is one of the most contagious diseases around and THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT DO NOT KNOW.

If your wax applicator comes in contact with your client's skin, the skin cells are removed and it can be transfered to the wax pot and whatever else it touches. Then you go to use it on your next client and removing a hair creates a tiny opening in the folicle AKA an entrance point. I have done a great amount of research on this as it was a topic I studied in school.

The sheer amount of ignorance in this thread is astounding. I hope you all take what I am saying seriously. My wooden wax applicators cost me less than one cent each.

Get real people.

And by the way, I had to try extremely hard not to call you double-dippers a bunch of youknowwhats. Absolutely appalling. Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I don't double dip when using hot wax. When I use strip wax then I cover the area with wax first and then remove. If I have to go over any areas at the end then I will use a disposable spatula. If there is any blood spotting then again, I use a disposable spatula.
The wax that touches the clients skin, never makes it back into the wax pot.Any wax that touches the skin, stays on the skin.
Studies have been done on wax pots from salons that double dip and salons that don't. The results were more or less the same.
Nobody has ever died from getting waxed and nobody has caught herpes from getting waxed either.
Some of the best trainers in the world train this way and Habia guidelines also say that you don't need to use a new spatula. for every single dip. If there was a risk of contracting any diseases then they would insist on new spatulas for every dip.
I am scrupulously clean in my work and actually take offence to being called disgusting.
Would you use disposable brushes to apply nail polish?!

I am absolutely horrified by all the people here double-dipping.

Allow me to share some knowledge with you: genital herpes is called HSV 2. It is contracted via the virus entering an opening in the body or mucous membrane ie. mouth, nose, eyes, genitals, a cut or even the tiniest of tears in the skin. 80% OF PEOPLE WHO CONTRACT HSV 2 CONTRACTED IT WHILST THEIR PARTNER DID NOT HAVE AN OUTBREAK.

What does this mean for us? Herpes lives in the nerve roots of the body in the skin. At all times, the body is in a stage called "viral shedding" which is when skin cells carrying the virus are sloughed off, just like skin normally comes off.

Where does this occur? FROM THE LOWER STOMACH ALL THE WAY TO THE MID THIGH.

You all need a serious reality check. Genital herpes is one of the most contagious diseases around and THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT DO NOT KNOW.

If your wax applicator comes in contact with your client's skin, the skin cells are removed and it can be transfered to the wax pot and whatever else it touches. Then you go to use it on your next client and removing a hair creates a tiny opening in the folicle AKA an entrance point. I have done a great amount of research on this as it was a topic I studied in school.

The sheer amount of ignorance in this thread is astounding. I hope you all take what I am saying seriously. My wooden wax applicators cost me less than one cent each.

Get real people.

And by the way, I had to try extremely hard not to call you double-dippers a bunch of youknowwhats. Absolutely appalling. Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Its actually quite amazing how we havent all got herpes the way you are going on and by the way don't single me out go and throw your insults elsewhere, maybe start with the insurance companies who are not clear with their requirements or the trainers.

I don't double dip in areas i don't use my roller, which has a clean sanitised head for each client.

I don't know whether you do massage or other treatments but if we were all at risk that easily of getting or spreading herpes perhaps we should be wearing gloves for massage and massaging with some kind of bacteria killing cream.

Of course there are people who are unscrupulous and do not work to a hygienic standard but i think most who use these boards are ones that care or they wouldn't be on here.

I am glad you take offense to it. You think no one has ever caught herpes from a beauty service? That is quite the statement to make. So you never even touch their skin when you wax? I must have missed that technique in school.

Let me reitterate to you that just by touching someone in that area who has herpes will transfer the virus to your gloved hand (if you wear gloves) and then spread anywhere you touch.

I literally cannot begin to impress upon you how contagious herpes is. I had a close friend who got it from someone who didn't even know they had it. There is no cure and living with the knowledge of having HSV 2 is very hard for most people. Well, I mean out of the 10% of the population who has it. Oh wait, and only 20% of THOSE know they have it.

I won't argue science with anyone. Feel free to research it yourself. And let me know about that hand-less waxing technique too!

Thanks!

gillian w- I have a 2 year diploma in biomechanics and massage therapy. Surprisingly enough, I never opted to massage my clients lower stomach and genitals, nor did I massage their upper thighs. Weird.

Last edited:
I am glad you take offense to it. You think no one has ever caught herpes from a beauty service? That is quite the statement to make. So you never even touch their skin when you wax? I must have missed that technique in school.

Let me reitterate to you that just by touching someone in that area who has herpes will transfer the virus to your gloved hand (if you wear gloves) and then spread anywhere you touch.

I literally cannot begin to impress upon you how contagious herpes is. I had a close friend who got it from someone who didn't even know they had it. There is no cure and living with the knowledge of having HSV 2 is very hard for most people. Well, I mean out of the 10% of the population who has it. Oh wait, and only 20% of THOSE know they have it.

I won't argue science with anyone. Feel free to research it yourself. And let me know about that hand-less waxing technique too!

Thanks!

So you are saying we can get herpes just by touching people not even waxing.Well ive been a therapist for 30 years now in constant training and working everyday since and ive never heard the like.Blimey what a risk we take i should be getting danger money.

Im very confused! It's sounds like we all must have herpes?!!

So you are saying we can get herpes just by touching people not even waxing.Well ive been a therapist for 30 years now in constant training and working everyday since and ive never heard the like.Blimey what a risk we take i should be getting danger money.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Again, those with HSV2 have viral shedding which is how most people contract it. The virus enters an opening in their body because of a skincell that came off of a person with it. It is not called genital warts because of HOW it is contracted. That is where the symptoms show up although someone can get HSV2 symptoms in their mouth, they cannot get HSV1 on their genitals.

Let me be clear, I am not saying everyone has it and everyone will get it. I'm saying that the one person WITH IT is very contagious. That one single person. Not everyone.

You people obviously need to find better suppliers if you are saying disposable applicators are expensive.

Im very confused! It's sounds like we all must have herpes?!!

No. But the extreme majority of people who do have it don't know about it and yet they are very contagious. And just fyi: they cannot really test you for it until you have an outbreak.

Latest posts

Back