Double dipping wax spatulas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently at college and we where told not to double dip they did however tell use we could use the same wax strip up to 5 times before binning it unless there was blood spotting!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I never double dip! I use the wax on myself and couldn't bare the thought of any cross contamination.

As with everything I use, I build the cost of the spatula's in to my price of waxing!

You use the metal spatula on large areas like the legs. You use it to apply the wax on cleansed skin only - then after you have removed the wax, if you are touching up etc you would use the wooden spatula to go back over the little areas you want to touch up.

I still don't understand why it's ok to double dip with a metal spatula but not ok to double dip with a wooden spatula?

I still don't understand why it's ok to double dip with a metal spatula but not ok to double dip with a wooden spatula?
It's not so much the fact it's wooden of metal it's the areas your working on.
Metal spatula is usually for legs and you apply all the wax first- on cleansed skin. All the way down. The skin hasn't been opened and is cleansed so it's clean. Then you go over with the strip and remove the hair. Then any missed areas you use the wooden spatula and you don't double dip.

Then you wash and sterilise the metal spatula between clients!

You only use the metal spatula with strip wax. The wooden spatula you use on underarms, face and intimate areas so you wouldn't double dip for hygiene reasons and high chance of blood spotting.

Does this explain it? Maybe someone else can explain it better than me?

X

Last edited:
It's not do much the fact it's wooden of metal it's the areas your working on.
Metal spatula is usually for legs and you apply all the wax first- on cleansed skin. All the way down. The skin hasn't been opened and is cleansed so it's clean. Then you go over with the strip and remove the hair. Then any missed areas you use the wooden spatula and you don't double dip.

Then you wash and sterilise the metal spatula between clients!

You only use the metal spatula with strip wax. The wooden spatula you use on underarms, face and intimate areas so you wouldn't double dip for hygiene reasons and high chance of blood splattering.
Does this explain it? Maybe someone else can explain it better than me?

X

Surely they are sanitised not sterilised between clients?

Iv always been told never to double dip.

I only ever used a plastic spatula for scooping products out into small containers. And then sterilised that.

I was trained to double dip (to save cost) unless blood spotting occurred. However I knew instantly I would be unhappy doing it, so I never ever double dip. I use rollers for legs & each client has their own cartridge & removable/steraliseable (is that even a word lol) head. I refill the cartridges as & when from my pot. I only use perron rigot wax and although I am aware my methods really aren't the most cost effective, it is how I feel comfortable knowing there is absoloutly no risk of cross contamination, clients love it too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Where would you buy a metal spatula and what do they look like? Is there a special technique to use one?

Last edited:
I've never used metal spatulas and just wondering how they work if people use them but don't double dip? Is the wax just dribbled/poured onto skin then you would use a wooden one to spread it?
This is how I wax with a metal spatula, although funnily enough I find myself going back to using just wooden spats.

Ok, I cleanse the entire area that I'm going to wax.

I then get my strip wax on the spatula and apply it to the cleansed skin and if I need more wax I go back into the wax pot and get more wax and apply.

HOWEVER!!!!! Once I start removing the wax and hair, if I do need to re-apply over the same area, I apply with a wooden spatula and then throw it. That way you're only just applying wax to cleaned unbroken skin.

I can see that most of my students double dip in their salons because I have to remind them not to double dip. By the end of the day though they're no longer double dipping.

It must be difficult if you work for someone else and they tell you that you have to double dip.

Surely they are sanitised not sterilised between clients?
Hi MM, sorry to jump in but I know what she means. You don't buy just one metal spat, you have several, so after each client you put the metal spat into a solvent and they stay there all day. At the end of the day you remove them all and then give them a thorough clean as the solvent only dissolves the wax, you still need to clean them. After I wiped all the wax off, I just boil a kettle and give them all a good scrub with Fairy Liquid, dry them and spray them with anti-bacterial.

If you're mobile, you would spray the spat with solvent and wipe the wax off and clean them when you get home.

I've worked in 9 spas (I'm a temp) and they've all double dipped!

Hi MM, sorry to jump in but I know what she means. You don't buy just one metal spat, you have several, so after each client you put the metal spat into a solvent and they stay there all day. At the end of the day you remove them all and then give them a thorough clean as the solvent only dissolves the wax, you still need to clean them. After I wiped all the wax off, I just boil a kettle and give them all a good scrub with Fairy Liquid, dry them and spray them with anti-bacterial.

If you're mobile, you would spray the spat with solvent and wipe the wax off and clean them when you get home.

Yes that's not sterilising, I read on here all the time people sterilise when they mean sanitise :)

Yes that's not sterilising, I read on here all the time people sterilise when they mean sanitise :)
I hear ya. I was just trying to help make it clear for everyone reading it.:)

Arent you not just kinda double dipping using a roller as the roller is in contact with the skin and the wax as you roll ive never used a roller so not sure

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

The most hygienic wax system that I've used is the Hy-Wax system by Australian Bodycare. The wax is heard in disposable tubes and a disposable head is used to apply the wax. Because of the head design it's impossible for the wax to flow back into the tube and a new head is used for every client! Zero cross contamination! Not the cheapest of systems but I love it x

Thankyou kim thats the post I was waiting for!! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

dunelm and lakeland type stores

Latest posts

Back