Double dipping wax spatulas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUMMUM2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just need advice I'm struggling on the double dipping thing I know when there's blood spotting u have to use a new spatula. I've done a lot of research and I've came across sites that are saying double dipping is a no no, but I've visited a few salons now and everyone seems to be doing it. My sister went yesterday to get her upper lip and eyebrows done to her horror the girl told her for the face she doesn't change her spatulas between clients as her boss said it cost to much??? My sister said she felt sick but she was all waxed and couldn't do anything about it. I'm baffled because I bought wax spatulas for £0.99 for 100 that's nothing so how can salons say it costs to much??

Set your own standards,you don't have to do what others maybe doing.

I think all reputable salons don't double dip. The only time I do is when using metal spatulars on legs but only on the first wax so if I have to go over an area again I use a wooden one and bin it. There's loads of threads on here about it, just search for double dipping.

Every salon I've worked in has been all for double dipping, also any therapist I know double dips. But I am horrified at the fact that salon doesn't change spatulas between clients!

Eeeuuwww that's disgusting. If I saw a used spatula resting on a wax pot and the therapist picked it up to use on me, I'd be on the run!

I go with how I was I trained. Never double dip my hot wax because it's mainly for intimate waxes and facial. I use a metal spatula for legs which I do double dip but if I have to go over an area I've already waxed, I use a wooden spat and toss it after 1 dip.

The place I used to go used to double dip for hollywood waxes but they used more than one spatula generally and didn't use the same one on different clients. That's pretty effing grim!

That is disgusting that a therapist is using the same on different clients!! I was always taught a rhyme so that I would remember . . Don't double dip under the pits and around your bits lol as horrible as that rhyme is it has made me remember!! But I don't really do many wax'a so I don't know what other people do

To be fair (and honest), back in the day we all double dipped. However, that was then and this is now……….we are now more educated.

I know that most salons still double dip but the cost of spatula's are so cheap that it really shouldn't happen.

Are there any articles on this so I can read up on how I should be waxing? Have only just finished nvq2 and they havent been clear about this. I plan to train with kim.
Would always use a new spatula for a new client, and even a new body part. So does this mean the same spatula should never go back in the wax more than once? Or when can it?

Also to clear up an argument with me and a classmate, do you have new wax for each client?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have read many things about this but get nervous as our college teach us to double dip unless blood spots.

We are told to turn our pots up full for x amount of minutes at the end of the session to 'blitz' the pot. I DO NOT do this at home with case study clients. Scary what they teach you in college and the difference to actual working environments. Although saying that at least we are taught to change our spatulas, DEFO between clients!

I was always taught to never ever double dip. I never have done and can't imagine doing it.
The spatulas are do cheap.
I think if you're going to double dip you may as well use the same spatula for everyone as double dipping will spread just as much bacteria as using the same one!

Sorry, I'm quite passionate about this (very sad) lol! I almost got sacked from my first job because I refused to double dip!

Where I live it's a state regulation not to double dip.

Personally, I won't double dip any single part. So disgusting on so many levels

I've never used metal spatulas and just wondering how they work if people use them but don't double dip? Is the wax just dribbled/poured onto skin then you would use a wooden one to spread it?

I really don’t think it’s as much of a risk to health as we are lead to believe. In a few years time we will all be in isolation wards wearing space suits.

Having said that…I think it is a good way of setting yourself apart from other therapists and salons that still double dip. Clients of mine who have been waxed before notice the fact that I don’t double dip and I think it gives people confidence in you, your standards and your treatments. It’s always nice to have the highest perceived standards that other therapists will copy rather than you being the one playing catch-up.

Having have said that….it’s also embarrassingly wasteful and I’m looking into switching to strip sugar using a separate small pot for each client and double dipping with a metal spatula to my hearts content!

How on earth people can double dip when using hot wax is beyond me. Not from a hygiene perspective but from the fact that by the end of the treatment the tip of the spatula must be the size of a cricket ball!

There is no evidence of infection from double dipping (health and safety executive study was inconclusive). The temperature of wax will never be high enough to kill contaminants. Tea tree in wax is in such teeny tiny amounts that has no anti bacterial / septic effect.

People say its expensive not double dipping ... Unless your using a thousand spatulas an arm it is a cost of pence difference per treatment, if you are that concerned about how much you loose double dipping your prices are too low.

Pathogens can exist on the skin without blood ... Just because there is no blood doesn't mean there is a contaminant.

Most importantly of all, and no matter the argument about cross contamination this is the one unreliable fact about no double dipping and the only argument you need to know why you shouldn't do it. Clients prefer single use when you explain the potential risk.

I've never used metal spatulas and just wondering how they work if people use them but don't double dip? Is the wax just dribbled/poured onto skin then you would use a wooden one to spread it?

You use the metal spatula on large areas like the legs. You use it to apply the wax on cleansed skin only - then after you have removed the wax, if you are touching up etc you would use the wooden spatula to go back over the little areas you want to touch up.

So just to clarify, every time I put wax on my client I need to use a new spatula? I'm still refining my technique so was doing a line of wax, then applying a strip, line of wax the strip whereas I am now starting to apply wax to a larger area then strip several. Even so I imagine you must get through a lot- but they are super cheap. So how many do you get through on an average leg wax?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really don’t think it’s as much of a risk to health as we are lead to believe. In a few years time we will all be in isolation wards wearing space suits.

Having said that…I think it is a good way of setting yourself apart from other therapists and salons that still double dip. Clients of mine who have been waxed before notice the fact that I don’t double dip and I think it gives people confidence in you, your standards and your treatments. It’s always nice to have the highest perceived standards that other therapists will copy rather than you being the one playing catch-up.

Having have said that….it’s also embarrassingly wasteful and I’m looking into switching to strip sugar using a separate small pot for each client and double dipping with a metal spatula to my hearts content!

How on earth people can double dip when using hot wax is beyond me. Not from a hygiene perspective but from the fact that by the end of the treatment the tip of the spatula must be the size of a cricket ball!

The last sentence made me laugh!
I don't do a lot of waxing but when I trained in my nvq this was NEVER mentioned! I then re-trained with Cibtac and we were taught to cut up strips of tissue and lay neatly on the trolley and after the first dip lay the spatula on the tissue and flick around using the other side of the spatula. When you're actually doing this it is not time consuming. The more you do it the faster you become. So you get two dips from the same spatula, one on each end.

Thanks every one, I've been out of practise for 3 years now so I'm looking to get back into it and will be starting my HND beauty course in August this year. I will stick to what I think is right I wouldn't want to share the same spatula or wax with anyone so I will never double dip on a client. For the sake of saving a few pence I'd rather look after some ones health and avoid any possible cross contamination.

😘 😉

Latest posts

Back