Even if you won't get found out do you still do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My so called best mate recently ripped me off for over £400, she knows I'm struggling and seems to not be losing any sleep over it...

That's the difference, like I said, I'd never nick off my own.

Tomme did crack me up though...

You must travel with some massive cases, man!

Last one...

Dandy knows me, I actually worked with her and she was shocked when I chased our boss around to give her 55p that was left on the side and not put away in the till or wherever it belong.

Family, friends, colleagues are who I care about. Strangers, not bothered at all because they sure as hell wouldn't care about me.

Love to all,

Nunnite x

I think, tbh,I was shocked when I read your post, Helen, just because it didn't fit with the person I knew. I'm not judging you on it, just surprised.

And please believe that strangers can be good to you.

This thread has really had me thinking about the different reasons people have for doing the right thing or the wrong thing. I remember a few years back I went to a garage sale and overheard a conversation between the lady who's house it was and her adult son. He said to her that she shouldn't have a particular valuable item out for sale on the front table in case someone was to steal it. She replied that she wasn't worried at all because if people are good Christians and attend church regularly they wont steal from her anyway.

I didn't say anything but I was so furious I walked out and left. I don't choose not to steal because of a church or for fear of not going to heaven. I don't choose not to steal because karma might get me back.I don't choose not to steal because the person might be poor and need the money for something important. I choose not to steal because stealing is wrong and it doesn't belong to me.

Sorry I know this thread wasn't original about actually stealing and was more about opportunist situations, this just made me think.

I agree, I don’t take or steal from anyone, whether they have a lot of money or not. I don’t even like owing people money (though I’m not so fussed about the bank!) as it plays on my mind. I like to live my life in an honest way and I think the vast majority of people are the same.

However, a few years ago a man was cycling down the road with his shopping balanced in a bag from both handlebars. As you might expect, he overbalanced and the food went everywhere. I walked over and collected things up for him – and he accused me of robbing him! I told him I was helping him and why would I want to rob a carton of milk!

I wonder what you think about taking things from skips? Myself and my partner have got some good stuff from skips over the years, including our current computer desk! People who skip stuff clearly don’t want it, but I think it’s polite to ask. Though they generally look at you a bit weirdly when you do.

My so called best mate recently ripped me off for over £400, she knows I'm struggling and seems to not be losing any sleep over it...

I take a full size case for one night, and if I roll my clothes up can fit double in it.
I've I said I wouldn't take from some1, or a small business, but from a faceless business that only sees its customers as walking money Baha'i think what the hell. And about MO's hotel, nope don't feel guilty, it wasn't up to a standard I would expect for its 5* rating, or price. The heating didn't work, the jacuzzi bath wasn't working, cables for the tv in the bedroom were trailing from the tv in the lounge and not tacked up, the white tiles in the bathroom that had broke were replaced with black, the sofa I wouldn't even send to a charity shop it was that faded, old bits of wood and screws were in te display cabinet drawers, no iPod dock, curtains were too heavy to close and had no pulley system, no door between lounge and bedroom or bedroom and wardrobe, a burnt ironing board, poor water pressure in the shower, no bed turndown service so all the cushions had to be thrown on the floor and the throws the same, dirty dinner plates left on the side in the room next to ours, and although they said the bar would be open until we all went to bed it was shut at 1 while a group of us were in the main hall and no staff in the hotel/house building so had to ring the old servants bell on the wall. With all them problems no I'm not bothered. Bath and other room pics below xoxo

Ps, the tv in the living room was tesco too, I know because I have the same in my bedroom. Xoxo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730523.027277.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730523.027277.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 181
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730867.216058.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730867.216058.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730883.859389.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730883.859389.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 168
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730897.587175.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730897.587175.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 173
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730908.160126.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345730908.160126.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 154
So, Tomme, did you explain to the manager why you were not happy?

So, Tomme, did you explain to the manager why you were not happy?

My oh did, he was told the bride ad groom would have to raise the problems as they were the name on te booking even though it was our money and room. So not eating to spoil their day I just packed anything I could fit in the case. Think it's only fair, and with them knowing the jacuzzi was f***ed they should have reduced the room on booking not waiting for us to ask.

And although I isn't have time to use the jacuzzi i still wanted it working and the electric panel to be securely shut (think health and safety if a child with wet hands touched it xoxo

I think the manager did a very poor job.

I think the manager did a very poor job.

And me, would you want to give the bridal party something else to think about? Must have been stressful enough making sure everything was ok. Seen Michael Owen a few weeks back by a golf club he plays at, gave him a wave lol thinking cheers for the stuff xoxo

Haven't read the full thread but to the argument where it doesn't matter if it's a multi million pound business....

My friend works for aldi. She works hard and has worked her way up to deputy manager. Her wages (and everyone else in her store) are set, but they get a bonus every month based on how much the store sells in a month. And thefts are deducted from it. So just bear in mind,you may think its a faceless company but every time someone walks out her store with a bottle of voddy up the top or knocks over jars and they smash and they don't own up, it's her and her colleagues who suffer.

I'm sorry to take issue with this, and to give an extreme example to make a point...but isn't this like saying, I can't be bothered to stick to the rules, I disagree with something so I'm going to do WHATEVER I want in response.

If you don't like the proper channels, either suck it up & play by the rules, OR leave it. Not secret option three - do whatever the hell you feel like!!

I mean, genuinely, how can we build a society if everyone does that, dishes out their own measure of revenge? EG what if everyone said 'I don't like how much of a pain in the @rse it is dealing with the court system/having to go through the police/reporting the bully to the teacher... so I'm going to deal with it how I want...'

What's the difference?

Why shouldn't we all have to stick to the rules & play fair - what makes any one of us different?

I'm kind of thinking/hoping that there's a bit of leg-pulling going on....

regardless of what why you try and butter it up.
if you deliberately take some thing that does not belong to you
it makes you a thief.

I am really thinking that some posts are just a joke.
After all, it doesn't fit that you could be so dishonest, yet honest enough to admit to it.
Or so thoughtful as to the feelings of others, and sensitive about complaining, but blatantly steal.
Think we're being played for a laugh.

Ah well this is where my sense of humour is different then.......

Hope so! Live in hope that people are good!! Xxxx

I am really thinking that some posts are just a joke.
After all, it doesn't fit that you could be so dishonest, yet honest enough to admit to it.
Or so thoughtful as to the feelings of others, and sensitive about complaining, but blatantly steal.
Think we're being played for a laugh.

I thought it was a very insightful thread until went off the rails...

Michael Owen does a lot for charity. That's a decent person who doesn't deserve to be stolen from regardless.

I agree with another post...complain correctly and go through the correct channels.

If the outcome is something your not happy with you can't take it into your own hands! That's not how it works.

If something isn't yours and you take it... From an individual or a celebrity or a company... It's theft! Fact!

Sorry your thread has turned odd dandy cx

I'm really enjoying this thread as it has really made me think. I consider myself to be a good person, which is down to my amazing Mum who goes out of her way for anyone and i also like to think karma, if i'm having a bad day i can think i did a good thing so hopefully something good will happen to me and it cheers me up.

However, i'm not as good as a lot of the people on this thread. I would not keep anything i saw somebody lose, i would return it. I would take items to a police station and if i found a purse/handbag i wouldn't take anything out of it other than check the ID.

However, if i found a pound note on the floor with nobody around i would smile and put it in my pocket. If it were a large sum i'd go to the police but £20 or less i wouldn't. I've lost money in the past and thought i bet the person that finds that will be happy, lol. I probably wouldn't go back if i realised that Tesco had undercharged me for something when i get home, but now i'm having cause to rethink my ethics. I suppose i've always assumed i've not been hurting anyone, but maybe i'm wrong.

I remember my Mum used to own a taxi company and worked in the office. One night as she was closing a young girl with a baby asked for a cab and she didn't have any but said she would drop this girl off herself. She did it for free and afterwards realised that this girl had taken all the money out of my Mum's handbag...the entire week's takings. She was really upset, but didn't go to the police and likes to think that girl must have really been desperate to do that. I hope so because she needed that money herself.

She's such a great role model and helps me to put myself in someone else's shoes to decide what is moral and ethical to me. I like to think i'm good, but now i think i could be better xx

Im wondering, did you lose any sleep when you took the £300 from the ATM??? Maybe the lady who pushed passed you was struggling also!!!

I think this threads getting a little too personal now..........

whether we think Hwilliams or Tomme did the right thing or not, I don't think it's for anyone else to judge.

The OP asked what we'd do not what we think someone shouldn't do x

Latest posts

Back