Expired Gift Voucher... I know what you'll say :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi geeks

i think I know what I am going to do here but out of curiosity what would you do??? Client calls (recipient of gift voucher) leaves vmail saying she has a gift voucher but it expired December last year and can she still use??

What would you say?

Hi geeks

i think I know what I am going to do here but out of curiosity what would you do??? Client calls (recipient of gift voucher) leaves vmail saying she has a gift voucher but it expired December last year and can she still use??

What would you say?

I would honour it as I'm soft! But also she could be a good client and become a regular! Xx

Has it got a clear expiry date printed or written on the voucher?
I would suggest a 50% discount, as a good will gesture, off the treatment as the voucher expired 7 months ago.
It's not your fault that this lady never came in to use the voucher in time.
Be nice and sympathetic but also be firm, you are running a business xxxxx

I would honour it as I'm soft! But also she could be a good client and become a regular! Xx

WOW.....You are soft!.......The voucher has a clear expiry date written on the front so she had no excuse plus the hope of her becoming a regular client doesn't really sway me that much as I would be very dubious about this person keeping appointments if they don't even bother to use a free gift within the time limits :)

I agree with the other post we are trying to run businesses here ladies/guys if we let people take advantage then we will be running at a loss.

Take a look at the very recent thread on this same subject, its called:

Salon gift voucher expiry

Jacqui xx

I personally wouldn't honour it, 7 months later is a bit of a push, I give people a week past it's date & say my computer system won't accept it after that. Once you let one client off with it, you may as well not put an expiry date on xx

I have had this discussion with myself as well... as I am a new business I have decided that if they miss the 6 month expiry (which I feel is long enough anyway!) then at the moment as I am building up clientele, I will go halves with the client, so they get a 50% discount, as mentioned previously in the thread.

I'll most likely change this though when I am properly established!

You could honour it but say they can only use it on your quieter days. X

WOW.....You are soft!.......The voucher has a clear expiry date written on the front so she had no excuse plus the hope of her becoming a regular client doesn't really sway me that much as I would be very dubious about this person keeping appointments if they don't even bother to use a free gift within the time limits :)

I agree with the other post we are trying to run businesses here ladies/guys if we let people take advantage then we will be running at a loss.[/

I can't see how you can assume they won't make their appointments because they didn't use a voucher? I have bought of vouchers/groupons etc before and not used them but if I made a booking I sure as hell wouldn't let somebody down.

I haven't really had a problem with vouchers most people use them straight away, but some I've written in the past have never so far come back?! Weird.
Sometimes a nice gesture can go along way, if I had this happening every week I might say no but as a one off I don't really see it as that much of an issue.

I wouldnt honour it but I would offer her 10% off any treatment over a certain amount.

You couldnt take a m&s voucher back after seven months and get anything for it would you? Nope, so if a customer complains I use the same analogy.

tigi

I wouldnt honour it but I would offer her 10% off any treatment over a certain amount.

You couldnt take a m&s voucher back after seven months and get anything for it would you? Nope, so if a customer complains I use the same analogy.

tigi

M&S vouchers last 2 years not 6 months and it hasn't done them any harm.

I don't understand the hard line against clients who have an expired gift voucher.

Why would you risk losing a potential client ... especially when their money is in your bank account!!

Good customer service is everything and if you don't provide it then shame on you.

Bad customer service is my personal bugbear, and I would never go back to any establishment that doesn't try to provide me with some level of customer care.

Honour the gift voucher, set a one week time limit, and exclude your busiest days.

You could well have a client for a long time to come if you treat them with due respect in the first place.

Jacqui xx

I don't understand the hard line against clients who have an expired gift voucher.

Why would you risk losing a potential client ... especially when their money is in your bank account!!

Good customer service is everything and if you don't provide it then shame on you.

Bad customer service is my personal bugbear, and I would never go back to any establishment that doesn't try to provide me with some level of customer care.

Honour the gift voucher, set a one week time limit, and exclude your busiest days.

You could well have a client for a long time to come if you treat them with due respect in the first place.

Jacqui xx

I agree, it's a competative business! It's not like they are robbing you, they have just been a little slack and not used a voucher in time!
they haven't pinched it lol x
From a small business point of view I would try and keep this lady happy even of she does not return she may pass on your good name.

I had a client with a voucher well over a year out of date, which i accepted as she was a friend of my sisters. She is now my biggest spending client. If I had refused I doubt that she would have ever made an appointment and I would have lost out big time. I would never turn away an out of date voucher.
Diane x

I would honour it too - just dont give a way a premium time spot - use common sense and go for a quiet time - as others have pointed out its a chance to promote the business and one customer leads to another - this is partiuclalry important if you work in a close knit community like myself where negative word of mouth spreads quickly

sorry, i wasnt clear in my post, what i meant was, you wouldnt take and 7 month expired voucher back to to m&s (or any other large retail store) and get it honoured .

tigi

There's no doubt in my mind what I would do I would defiantly honour it! For one you've been paid so it's not like your doing it for free you'll probably get repete business from it plus recommendations to her friends and family plus she may even use you to buy a gift voucher for someone herself the way things are at the moment there's no way I'd not do it it would be silly not to never turn away a potential client!

sorry, i wasnt clear in my post, what i meant was, you wouldnt take and 7 month expired voucher back to to m&s (or any other large retail store) and get it honoured .

tigi

Oh ok I misread it sorry xx

tigi

You would be surprised to know how many of these stores would honour an out of date gift voucher.

My own experience is with Argos and The Sanctuary.

Most Customer Service departements would try to help in this situation.

As I mentioned in a previous thread on this subject I would write to the company instead of arguing with a sales assistant. It always works - as it should!!

Jacqui xx

they last four years apparently. and each time you use it, you're given another four years. :Scared:

my mom had one last week and the woman on the till was explaining to us!

Latest posts

Back