File & Polish....Is it worth it ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of a weird question at first maybe lol,
But I am making up my price list now and the first thing I come to is 'file and polish' which is, well... just as it says isn't it.

Problem is, Yes it is a lower price than manicures as it is literally just a file of the free edge, apply base, colour, top coat, oil, Bye bye mrs client thank you very much... Only thing is I cannot stand to do these.
I ALWAYS find myself removing cuticle etc anyway and buffing etc, so it really isn't just a file and polish, and this has been for only £7.00 !!!!!

I do NOT want to continue this as I am very thorough with my polishing, I take my time I never rush, I make sure the polish is as perfect as I can get it.
I have been told a file and polish should be just that, But I cannot leave that cuticle on the nail plate knowing full well, that enamel is not going to adhere as well.

Should I just 'up' my price to reflect the service and automatically include cuticle work....
Or just remove file and polish altogether and have
Mini manicure, Manicure and shellac manicure... OR... Just shut up moaning and leave 'file and polish' as it is ?

What do you guys do, and can I ask how much your file and polishes are?

I suppose at the moment I am putting confusion where it really doesn't need to be as I have a lot whizzing round my brain at the moment :o
Thankyou x

Hiya I dont do a file and polish like you I like to remove cuticle of the nail plate otherwise the polish won't last, this is on my list
Manicure
ere is a list of Treatments and
cuticles are cared for with oil and pushed back ready for Varnish,the nail is then shaped, base coat and colour applied .

Luxury Manicure

A luxurious treatment for the hands. Cleanse, exfoliate, mask and moisturise, leaving the hands smoother, firmer and more attractive, finished off with nails being shaped and polished.

Hope that helps :D

Hello!
I do a mini manicure which is just a file, light buffing and the varnishing, mine is £10.00. I always think this is good to offer as some clients want a quicker manicure or their nails re-done, I also always advise everyone to have their cuticles done "very important" and this is where my luxury manicure comes in, shape, buffing, cuticle work and varnishing. Just maybe always advise your clients to have the correct manicure done, they usually listen, after-all you are the professional! Hope this helps:?::D

Up your price Emma,they are a wanted treatment and I too have the same issues but I do a very quick push back of cuticles(if needed) I charge ten pounds which justifies it a bit more.For £7 I would feel the same as you.

Yes £10 for a mini/dry manicure, that way you are doing a good job and the polish will look fab and last properly! ;)

I'm with the others.
Push back cuticles, rub over nail with scrub fresh, shape free edge, sticky, colour and top coats. £10
If the cuticle is too bad to do a dry push back I explain this to them and tell them they need a proper cuticle eraze and charge £2 extra.
It's a good way of talking them into allowing more time with their next appointment for a luxury mani and point out that good nails deserve good hands/skin to go with them.

Thankyou Girls
I feel better about it now,

I would rather Not skimp on very important prep work to save clients a few pounds, nothing saved really as their 'polish' will not have the same life span so its like false economy really isn't it , that extra couple of quid, and minutes spend ensures much longer lasting enamel wear, Much happier clients, more recommendations and repeat custom...etc....

At some points our salon ran special £5 file and polish offers during quiet times, sometimes It took the passion out of what I do if that makes sense. It devalued what I did... I know we were quiet etc, and it did save me sitting doing nothing and put some pennies into the till that wouldn't have otherwise been there, But It still made me feel a bit crap.

I have come to the conclusion My training deserves better than this....Our industry deserves better than this...
The clients who want a cheap quick fix have plenty of places to go, or they can get a friend to paint them for free...

I don't want to be thought of as ' oh we will go to that salon for nails, because she is cheap' I want clients to come because they get an excellent service and long lasting nails.

I sometimes think I am a cheeky mare for thinking this way as I often look for a cheaper option myself, but there are somethings I wont skimp on because I value them, I want clients to feel that about their nails... am I making sense ?

Perfect sense Emmsy. Your nails rock and thats why clients should come to you, as you say, not because you are cheep. xxx

I work in a salon now but on my own price list I charge £15...this includes nail prep/cuticle care and polish application (french/colour) and finished with a spritz of speed spray and that is it...I share the same opinion as you Emma...in my view a perfect lasting polish application by a professional is worth £15 at least..I charge £7.50 for a polish application with another service such as on an NNO or Enhancements x p.s hope your feeling better now x

maybe you could quote FROM £7 on your price list then judge each clients charge on the time taken x

Where I live the price is between £15-£20 for a shape and polish.

Like you Emma, I think it is a weird treatment, but people on the go do still request it.

I think shape and polish is worth it on toes as it does last for ages.

Charge what you think you are worth Emma, I am sure people will understand.XX

I offer F&P (straight out F&P) some of my clients dont want cuticles doing,so I also offer Express Mani (includes cuticles).

But I now want to include Shellac and am not sure how to word it on the price list ...

I could quite happily dump all my polish and just use Shellac lol

I do just a file & paint.. If thats is what they want. I charge £6.00 for this. If they want thier cuticles doing also, i charge them £12.00 for this and also include an oil buff using the koala buffer.
Some times it erks me when they have cuticle riding down the plate so i suggest that they have them done if not now, maybe next time, but i never do extra work for free (well sometimes i do for my favorite/loyal ladies :o)

Latest posts

Back