For goodness sake!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mum

Reaction score
Several Geeks have made an effort to put some interesting, thought-provoking and meaningful threads on here. Most of them have generated some great posts.

However, I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one am bored with trawling through posts with phrases like: "I don't want to offend", "don't shout at me", "I'm never going to post again", and on and on.

Firstly, are so many Geeks so lacking in confidence that they are frightened in having an opinion??

Secondly, why are people so prickly if an opinion that differs from theirs is expressed??

It is much easier to get real meaning over with the spoken word and it is often the case that the written word is misunderstood and gives offence where none is meant.

As we are all adults can we all be more comfortable in expressing opinions; can those who have differing opinions generate meaningful discussion and debate so all readers can understand where each opinion comes from (opinions can be changed with good debates); can we stop spitting dummies and taking balls away and can we stop appearing to say "will you still be my friend if disaggree with you"

Facts are facts and sometimes they get a bit mixed up. Pointing out a mixed up fact with supporting info should not be seen as argumentative; it is essential for a site like this in order that accurate info in available. This type of thread seems to create so much bad feeling!

Anyone providing factual information must be able to support it. Those providing it shouldn't be upset at being asked for the support and those who understood different shouldn't be afraid of asking! That is how we will all continue to learn.

OK. Lecture over :eek:

Oh Marian - I bet you feel better that you have that off your chest LOL!

I totally agree and I am one that has been disagreed with on several occasions by various Geeks. It would be great if all Geeks participated in the threads without being scared that their opinion is unpopular. Sometimes I have made statements which I feel differently about after getting feedback from other people. I would rather someone gave an honest opinion on something rather than say what they think people want to hear. If I disagree with someone (and I have disagreed on occasion with loads of Geeks that I love), I don't feel I would be giving them respect if I didn't speak honestly.:hug:

It does get a bit like that sometimes doesnt it. JMHO, dont take it the wrong way. lol

I find it interesting too that there have been 19 views and only 2 replies, is this because of lurkers who are too shy to join or geeks who are wary of commenting on being wary??

Im being a bit cryptic tonight sorry, must be all the pain killers Im on for my back.:irked:

well said marian!
if its your honest opinion they why not - don't just say things you think people will want to hear! - not everyone agrees - if they did the world would be a boring place! xx

Music to my ears to read all of these posts.

I do believe that it is up to all of us to 'set the TONE' in our posts so as not to offend but express your opinions by all means along with the facts (if warranted) to support your reasoning.

You would never see Marian or me for instance make a post without the facts to support it unless we were only stating an opinion and then I always say, "in my opinion".

I am not afraid however (nor is mum it would appear) to say what I think in a straight forward manner and I think we are respected for this and that it is understood that we never go out of our way to deliberately be offensive. Inevitably some always are offended because we are not all the same ... but a web site full of strong minded passionate individuals is not for the faint hearted!! So step up to the plate, but have the courage to face it if your opinion is not always agreed with and have the humility to perhaps let others change your mind by letting them have the room to have their own say.

Got to ask why does this need any replies:eek:

I know I am being hypocritical i posting on this thread - but really, do all Geeks no need to post on their opinion and end up in 50 post agreeing to a perfectly valid point that doesnt need support and then turning into a 5 page thread!

Lets see if this is the last post:rolleyes:

Totally agree! Some people can be a bit touchy if we don't all have the same opinion but all these opinions serve to help us all. Got to admit I feel afraid to express my opinion if other geeks are not being constructive.

lol, that must have felt good!
I feel that unlike some situations where nobody asks for an opinion and people just blurt out their critisism anyways, a forum is a place where you should give your honest opinion. it's kind of the point of a forum :rolleyes: .
Although I have to admit if i feel something i say sounds a bit harsh, or could be taken personally (even if it's not meant personally), I will apologize fpr the way i might have put it and let people know i don't meen to upset anyone and it's just the way i feel.
Just coz I can't bear the idea of somebody being all upset for the rest of the day because of something I said.

Ok ... Im stepping up... and heres my opinion on this!
Firstly I think we have a lot of individuals here with varying levels of experience, we no longer have a site for Professional only techs to share knowledge but we have become a community.
My opinion of the 'please dont be offended when I say this/correct you...' brigade is that we have a 'few' individuals who use the site to troll & goad people and so when a regular posts 'Please dont be offended but...' they are merely stating that there intention is merely that... to correct or advise and not to goad their fellow techs/friends/newbies!
It can be irritating but personally I just look past it as people being polite and not being pathetic.

Fab Freak said:

I know I am being hypocritical in posting on this thread - but really, do all Geeks need to post their opinion and have it end up in 50 posts agreeing to a perfectly valid point that doesnt need support and then turning into a 5 page thread!

I think this thread does need support 50 pages if necessary .... and here is why.

Thenailgeek site could be said, and is said by some, to be getting a reputation of bitchiness and love of confrontation. As usual it is a few who are giving the site this rep (rather than the many) and also as usual, there is some truth in what is being said.

I am grateful to Mum for posting this thread and I invite every geek who cares to respond to do so to show that we will not let a few people ruin the reputation of a site that has been BRILLIANT in its conception and in the quality of the information given out freely by some of the best in the industry to any aspiring or otherwise nail technician who wants it.

Lets ALL be mindful of setting the right tone in ALL of our posts by writing intelligently and thoughtfully and then we can avoid having to say ... "I hope I don't offend" and other remarks of this ilk as your tone will be obvious in the first place.

Well i quite agree, i have had a few months break from the site and when i came back on i was quite shocked at how argumentative, bitchy and just plain silly some of it had got.

I used to post quite a lot before but it does put you off, i for one come on to help people i have been in the industry a good 20 years and i like helping others which is why i come on, if i can help i will. Sometimes though i just sit and shake my head after reading some replys!!

I am pretty busy so really only skim through the posts and reply to the threads i think i can help. Sometimes though there have already been some really good advice and points made so i if i cant add anything i dont.

I do feel there are a few on here that take every opportunity to goad people escpecially were cnd is concerned and quite obviously people like gigi jump to the defence of thier brand! Dont blame them its just such a shame that some really good threads are turned that way.

Dont really know if any of this makes any sense ..........so i will shut up :lol:

Wow! Fabulous responses so far! (I did almost put an apology on the end of my original thread) (Not really :lol: )

By way of an explanation though, I agree that the inception of this site is brilliant and, as I said in another relevant post, one of the single most influencial and important developments in the industry. But I have not been very active or supportive recently and thought about why not.

This thread is the reason.

Glo, I understand what you are saying and you're right. Those who are not so great at explaining in the written word are just being polite, but, these are not who I am aiming my comments at. But you are right to acknowledge those and not make them even more uncomfortable.

I love the expression of 'step ip to the plate' of Geeg's. So, lets make this plate solid gold

geeg said:
I think this thread does need support 50 pages if necessary .... and here is why.

Thenailgeek site could be said, and is said by some, to be getting a reputation of bitchiness and love of confrontation. As usual it is a few who are giving the site this rep (rather than the many) and also as usual, there is some truth in what is being said.

I am grateful to Mum for posting this thread and I invite every geek who cares to respond to do so to show that we will not let a few people ruin the reputation of a site that has been BRILLIANT in its conception and in the quality of the information given out freely by some of the best in the industry to any aspiring or otherwise nail technician who wants it.

Lets ALL be mindful of setting the right tone in ALL of our posts by writing intelligently and thoughtfully and then we can avoid having to say ... "I hope I don't offend" and other remarks of this ilk as your tone will be obvious in the first place.

I guess we just don’t completely agree on this then, as I don't see it necessary for all and sundry to agree however on the other hand if more posts will help drive the point home then i am wrong. I do strongly agree with Mums post as every time she starts a thread and always so eloquently (unlike myself) and this does need to be said on a regular basis, so point 3 duly noted.

I agree about the backbiting is not necessary and people should be able to express their opinions but without being just unnecessary rude and mean. Only the other month someone posted quite rude comments to another geek yet upon my PM it didn't’t seem to sink in but hey if they were willing to say in the first place then why did I think they would retract it after the obvious being pointed out.

I love this site and hope I bring only good constructive points of view and advise and if not I only hope people would say so.

Little Angel said:
Well i quite agree, i have had a few months break from the site and when i came back on i was quite shocked at how argumentative, bitchy and just plain silly some of it had got.

I used to post quite a lot before but it does put you off, i for one come on to help people i have been in the industry a good 20 years and i like helping others which is why i come on, if i can help i will. Sometimes though i just sit and shake my head after reading some replys!!

I am pretty busy so really only skim through the posts and reply to the threads i think i can help. Sometimes though there have already been some really good advice and points made so i if i cant add anything i dont.

I do feel there are a few on here that take every opportunity to goad people escpecially were cnd is concerned and quite obviously people like gigi jump to the defence of thier brand! Dont blame them its just such a shame that some really good threads are turned that way.

Dont really know if any of this makes any sense ..........so i will shut up :lol:

It makes perfect sense .... but it is those like yourself who need to continue to offer their educated support to the site, rather than be turned away by the few whose goal it is to do so.

Rather than just looking for thread to which to reply or offer help ... start a few thought provoking ones of your own. That in my opinion is what this site has been lacking recently. So give everyone the benefit of your 20 years experience and don't run away!! :lol:

as long as no one goes out to DELIBERATELY offend then i think everyones entitled to their own opinion and they will more then likely have reasons for that opinion.x

geeg said:

I whole heartedly agree with both what Mum originally said on this thread and with the quote from Gigi....

I am currently totally dispondant with the Nail Geek with the constant nitpicking and repremanding that goes on on here at the moment.... it seems like there has been an influx of new moderators that feel they can jump on someone's thread just to tell them off ie - Don't post that here, its in the wrong forum .... Do a search .. its all been said before ..... That's not nail related ... we don't want that here .... etc etc ...

I have been a frequent visitor on this site for over 16 months now, and I am talking hours and hours of reading, absorbing, learning and enjoying the community spirit that this site used to bring. It feels more like a search engine these days than a comfortable forum. I am getting to feel 'guilty' if I can't come up with a reasonable nail related topic for huge discussion that hasnt been covered before ... honestly it really has made me feel totally miserable this last few weeks. This site and the people on it were such a large part of my new nail venture, now I feel its become very clique and I am no longer dying to come on to catch up ... it just doesn't hold it for me at the moment.

I wish it would be like the old times when geeks were free to post and say most things and if we got a 'trouble maker' which used to be very infrequent as far I remembered, then they were dealt with accordingly by the excellent moderators that watch over the site. If people don't want to read chitchat threads .. then why do they read them? If people only want to read nail related threads.. then why don't they go to the main forum and read them?

That's my two penneth for what it's worth! :cry:

i think that sometimes people are a little wary of expressing opinions or saying ebay because some people are very against the use of ebay and if some people don't agree with it people post back and if people all post back at once it kind of looks like ganging up(even though it isn't meant this way as of course we are all sitting alone on our comps)!

Another point i'd like to make is that what we say on here has no tone. just like text messages. something that should be taken light heartedly is sometimes interpreted wrongly. If some people didn't jump on others/take things the wrong way/ misinterpret then we perhaps wouldn't have any reason to use 'don't mean to offend' etc.

Maybe we should all think about our posts a little more carefully and be more confident in what we are writing. After all, if we all thought the same the world would be extremely boring.

being able to voice an opinion is what this site is all about, apologising for our opinions shouldn't be necessary but it does seem to have turned that way.

yesterdays 'Nails Day' was fab, different opinions were voiced on quite a few aspects of our industry without any nastiness involved, it was a breath of fresh air to come on here and have fab nail chat aswell as meaty threads to do with nails as opposed to all the rubbish seen recently in ChitChat.

let's keep it a nails forum where people can speak freely about their profession :D

Nail FX said:
I whole heartedly agree with both what Mum originally said on this thread and with the quote from Gigi....

I am currently totally dispondant with the Nail Geek with the constant nitpicking and repremanding that goes on on here at the moment.... it seems like there has been an influx of new moderators that feel they can jump on someone's thread just to tell them off ie - Don't post that here, its in the wrong forum .... Do a search .. its all been said before ..... That's not nail related ... we don't want that here .... etc etc ...

I have been a frequent visitor on this site for over 16 months now, and I am talking hours and hours of reading, absorbing, learning and enjoying the community spirit that this site used to bring. It feels more like a search engine these days than a comfortable forum. I am getting to feel 'guilty' if I can't come up with a reasonable nail related topic for huge discussion that hasnt been covered before ... honestly it really has made me feel totally miserable this last few weeks. This site and the people on it were such a large part of my new nail venture, now I feel its become very clique and I am no longer dying to come on to catch up ... it just doesn't hold it for me at the moment.

I wish it would be like the old times when geeks were free to post and say most things and if we got a 'trouble maker' which used to be very infrequent as far I remembered, then they were dealt with accordingly by the excellent moderators that watch over the site. If people don't want to read chitchat threads .. then why do they read them? If people only want to read nail related threads.. then why don't they go to the main forum and read them?

That's my two penneth for what it's worth! :cry:

Jen, great post and i feel the same x

Fab Freak said:

I know I am being hypocritical i posting on this thread - but really, do all Geeks no need to post on their opinion and end up in 50 post agreeing to a perfectly valid point that doesnt need support and then turning into a 5 page thread!

I often post if I disagree with someone so I think it is just as important to post when you do agree.

I do find your post being hypocritical and provocative. You had your say, so why shouldn't everyone else if they so wish. The 5-page threads are usually very pertinent and show when threads get our attention enough to participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back