For goodness sake!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay here goes my input is not worth much im afraid but as a regular geeker i have to say i do get put off by some of the comments that are made which sometimes stop me from replying although im not experienced, from learning on this site i have picked up a things which were very helpfull and when i do post it sometimes seems as if 'oh she does not know what she is talking about..etc' maybe im just a wee bit paranoid and im sometimes ignored if i try and help and you dont even get acknowledged for help you may have given and it can take some confidence to reply or post, x x

jules x

mum said:
Several Geeks have made an effort to put some interesting, thought-provoking and meaningful threads on here. Most of them have generated some great posts.

However, I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one am bored with trawling through posts with phrases like: "I don't want to offend", "don't shout at me", "I'm never going to post again", and on and on.

Firstly, are so many Geeks so lacking in confidence that they are frightened in having an opinion??

Secondly, why are people so prickly if an opinion that differs from theirs is expressed??

It is much easier to get real meaning over with the spoken word and it is often the case that the written word is misunderstood and gives offence where none is meant.

As we are all adults can we all be more comfortable in expressing opinions; can those who have differing opinions generate meaningful discussion and debate so all readers can understand where each opinion comes from (opinions can be changed with good debates); can we stop spitting dummies and taking balls away and can we stop appearing to say "will you still be my friend if disaggree with you"

Facts are facts and sometimes they get a bit mixed up. Pointing out a mixed up fact with supporting info should not be seen as argumentative; it is essential for a site like this in order that accurate info in available. This type of thread seems to create so much bad feeling!

Anyone providing factual information must be able to support it. Those providing it shouldn't be upset at being asked for the support and those who understood different shouldn't be afraid of asking! That is how we will all continue to learn.

OK. Lecture over :eek:
Hi
When I put something like "Dont shout at me" usually is a joke meaning, now I am going to hear it! I dont feel lacking in confidence because I still express the opinion anyway whether its popular or not.:green:
xxxxx

Nail FX said:
I whole heartedly agree with both what Mum originally said on this thread and with the quote from Gigi....

I am currently totally dispondant with the Nail Geek with the constant nitpicking and repremanding that goes on on here at the moment.... it seems like there has been an influx of new moderators that feel they can jump on someone's thread just to tell them off ie - Don't post that here, its in the wrong forum .... Do a search .. its all been said before ..... That's not nail related ... we don't want that here .... etc etc ...

I have been a frequent visitor on this site for over 16 months now, and I am talking hours and hours of reading, absorbing, learning and enjoying the community spirit that this site used to bring. It feels more like a search engine these days than a comfortable forum. I am getting to feel 'guilty' if I can't come up with a reasonable nail related topic for huge discussion that hasnt been covered before ... honestly it really has made me feel totally miserable this last few weeks. This site and the people on it were such a large part of my new nail venture, now I feel its become very clique and I am no longer dying to come on to catch up ... it just doesn't hold it for me at the moment.

I wish it would be like the old times when geeks were free to post and say most things and if we got a 'trouble maker' which used to be very infrequent as far I remembered, then they were dealt with accordingly by the excellent moderators that watch over the site. If people don't want to read chitchat threads .. then why do they read them? If people only want to read nail related threads.. then why don't they go to the main forum and read them?

That's my two penneth for what it's worth! :cry:

Totally agree Jen 100% - well said!

I loved this site 6 months ago and spent all day geeking. A geek made a comment a few weeks back about certain people on here replying and posting when they 'didn't even do nails'. This upset me as I felt they might see me as falling into that category (i am a trained and qualified nail tech, i do the odd sets of nails but it isn't my full time career). Since then I have felt the need to not post as often.

I like the way you can come on here and say what you feel - if everyone was the same with the same views/opinions and answers it would be a bloody boring place.

Very well written Mum.

I too have noticed (we all must have) that at times over the past few months quite a few threads have become uncomfortable to read.

IMO there are a core of Geeks, who have been members for a long time and all of whom have lots of wisdom and knowledge of the industry, unfortunately some of us newer Geeks (I am NOT putting myself in this category) seem to find this wealth of knowledge a little daunting and either take offense to constructive critisism or bizarrly find the need to dissagree just to cause trouble. This core of Geeks are always here to lend a hand, they answer anyones questions, and all because they want to help (and if they don't answer right away, how cross and impatient we seem to be getting :confused:). How lucky we are that we have found this site where the best Nail Technicians will give us tips on how to succeed instead of keeping all their knowledge to themselves and watch us all make mistakes, or fail.

I myself am still at the stage where I am happy to sit here and read all the threads and soak up all the knowledge, I do not feel the need to respond to every thread unless I can offer some new advise that hasn't yet been given.

I too feel (as mentioned already) that CND do seem to be taking the brunt of a few peoples threads in a way that no other company does. Why is that? This website is not a CND run site, we are just very fortunate to have some of the BEST people from the Nail Industry who are Creative people.

So come on all of us newer Geeks, stop being so darned sensitive, make the most of this site.

Lets also please remember to respect expert advise for what it is, Expert Advise.

And Breathe :) x x

very interesting thread, i was just thinking the same thing earlier on, there was some thread today that had millions of...sorry if i offended or dont mean to offend etc, but i guess it also says something about me as i din have the balls to post about it when i wanted to.

im not sure who said it, but they was a comment about the 'rubish that goes on in chit chat' althought i agree that the site should be mainly nails as it is the nail geek, i also find it interesting to get to know about some of the other geeks through 'the rubbish in chit chat' i dont post all that often as some times i dont feel my opinion is valid, im not as experienced as many of you, but i think that if you find chit chat rubbish...just ignore it, i usually ignore the joke posts cos they dont interest me.

iv found this site extremely helpful in sooooo many ways and i still continue to learn more, and i love seeing all your pics and aspire to be as good as some of you, but i am also tired of seeing a thread that interests me..opening it up only to find three or four posts down the topic has completely changed and it's all defensive and bitchy. i also think that there a alot of geeks who try and help so many ppl and genuinely like giving advice and sharing their knowledge, but there are also alot of egos, who if they were in person wud roll their eyes are some of us less experienced geeks and i just wish they wud be more patient and remember when they started out....

...ok im done..lol

Nail FX said:
I whole heartedly agree with both what Mum originally said on this thread and with the quote from Gigi....

I am currently totally despondent with the Nail Geek with the constant nitpicking and reprimanding that goes on on here at the moment.... it seems like there has been an influx of new moderators that feel they can jump on someone's thread just to tell them off ie - Don't post that here, its in the wrong forum .... Do a search .. its all been said before ..... That's not nail related ... we don't want that here .... etc etc ...

I have been a frequent visitor on this site for over 16 months now, and I am talking hours and hours of reading, absorbing, learning and enjoying the community spirit that this site used to bring. It feels more like a search engine these days than a comfortable forum. I am getting to feel 'guilty' if I can't come up with a reasonable nail related topic for huge discussion that hasn't been covered before ... honestly it really has made me feel totally miserable this last few weeks. This site and the people on it were such a large part of my new nail venture, now I feel its become very clique and I am no longer dying to come on to catch up ... it just doesn't hold it for me at the moment.

I wish it would be like the old times when geeks were free to post and say most things and if we got a 'trouble maker' which used to be very infrequent as far I remembered, then they were dealt with accordingly by the excellent moderators that watch over the site. If people don't want to read chitchat threads .. then why do they read them? If people only want to read nail related threads.. then why don't they go to the main forum and read them?

I think the 'core posters' on this site are the life and soul of the site and the last thing that anyone wants is for those like Jen etc. to feel reluctant to post or to loose their enthusiasm for what goes on here.

If YOU feel you have outgrown the site and it is no longer useful to you, if it is all about YOU and you are impatient with the same old stuff, then either use the knowledge you have gained here to pay it forward and help others or don't come and play.

If every repeat thread is going to bore you to tears and every time someone posts in the wrong forum is going to irritate you to death, then go away! Go play in chit chat and leave the nail forums to those who dedicate their time and experience to those who are in need of it.

We are the only ones (the ones who care) who are capable of changing the tone of the site .... and oh yes, there can be a definite tone ... so don't leave ... lets take charge and change it and certainly not let anyone else, who may have an agenda of their own, change it.

Urban Geek said:
I often post if I disagree with someone so I think it is just as important to post when you do agree.

I do find your post being hypocritical and provocative. You had your say, so why shouldn't everyone else if they so wish. The 5-page threads are usually very pertinent and show when threads get our attention enough to participate.

Absolutely healthy debate is what a forum us all about.

I'd like to think of my post as being more thought provoking but yes by being posted it did have a double standard.

Ok, I understood (I hope) when the thread was started but Im getting confudled now (not hard I know).
The opinion I have formed from what Im reading is that everyone seems to be saying they dont like the tone of the board lately, some posts seem to be sending underlying messages to other people 'like you hurt my feelings when I posted such & such, or posted in so & so forum'.
And yet .... youre all saying you dont like the pussy-footing around with comments like 'I hope I dont offend ...' and yet you are offended!

Everyone seems to be agreeing with Marian & Geeg when they start their posts about being upfront & confident enough to speak their mind but seem to finish it with moaning about how the site makes them feel bad!

Two points stick in my mind...
Gigi's 'We are the only ones (the ones who care) who are capable of changing the tone of the site'
And fingertips... 'if everyone was the same with the same views/opinions and answers it would be a bloody boring place'.

A good place to start working from I think!

I think this tread is very thought provoking! I know I'm quite new to nail geek and very inexperienced with nails (currently studying!) But I find all knowledge and critisim (good and bad) a way for ppl to grow and develop, how else would we learn.

I know some people like to have their ego stroked but how will we learn if we're not told if something isn't right / good etc.

Also it has been said before but sometimes there may not be lots of replies to a thread but lots of views, usually for me it's because some has already said what I have thought, or the question has been answered. I don't think it is a crime just to look and not say.

Comme on Geeks keep up the good work and sharing any knowledge we have, we all have knowledge in an area that others may not!

GROUP HUG!! LOL:hug:

i love this site and have noticed some hurt feelings on the site as they have posted about them, ok i understand people can read to much into a post and the tone may not sound to good but.....there are thousands of geeks all different, geeks who are very strong minded and give matter of fact opinions and answers...not to be nasty or snide but because that is who they are, just like there are some geeks who's posts are sweet and kind.
some people click on here others do not, some people take things the wrong way you have to just ignore it dont take things to heart.
i have been a member nearly 3 years and have been on the sharp end of peoples typing....lol but thats the way of the world, life,
stop reading into things join in, if people dont like your opinions then hey so what, your opinions are what make you and others will agree others wont.
also on a lighter note how many women are on here, all could have pmt at the same time....pmt reply,s with pmt crying over the silliest things.
take things on the chin.
there have been lots od heated debates on here over time...but arent they good...they bring fire in your belly.
alos dont be scared if you post wrong info that someone is going to correct you, its how you learn this is a learning as well as a fun site.
i have posted a few bloomers if i hadnt i would still have the wrong info.....mould springs to mind....lol

I'm actually more confused than anything now, one second its about the little side comments in posts in Mum's original post, and very true, had noticed trawling the site. Then suddenly there are things like new Geeky's not being so sensitive and comments about the core posters. As a newby I'm really struggling not to appologise already as I type incase I say something out of line just replying here now. I'm not even completely sure what I'm replying to now.

Its very intimidating when your new on any forum and especially one as busy as this and I personally think that until you feel established your much more likely to excuse yourself in posts so you dont pee off regulars. I'm a mod on a fishkeeping forum so I see this all the time. On there some regulars will tone down a needed but direct response by softening it with an appology or 'softner' primarily so as not to almost intimidate new members into not posting again. For me, I posted just now about costs in different countries and started off by appologising incase it had already been done purely because I have seen so many topics with a comment along the lines of 'this was/has been done already, search' type of thing. I think that although it might clutter things up a bit its good when newbies ask a question thats been done already, its often not 100% the same as asked previously and new members might have come along who have valuable input or even regulars who didn't post in the last question. Also I think it can be very off putting to a newby, its almost like you feel you did something wrong or waste peoples time. I hope all this made sense, and I am sorry if I'm out of line :lol:

I think this is a great forum, I've bookmarked lots of tutorials and because I cant make it to college or get so many people to practice on and of course for the most part it is super friendly. Gigi's book is on my birthday list too.

Nice to meet you all anyway, I have just luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve being here xx

I also agree with Mum - I post opinons and facts and don't apologise for either! If it's an opinion I'll say it is, but still offer no apology for holding them.... I'm also more than willing to be set straight if I'm misguided or being dense!

Yesterday was a breath of fresh air - I tried to post a thought provoking anil thread but got too distracted by answering all the other thought-provoking nail threads!!!

I find it difficult to reply some threads not because I don't have the knowledge but I find it difficult to put into words what I want to say (also my son keeps interupting me). I think as many of you have said you should not take others opinions personally after all in life we have differences all the time and we have to accept this, on the same token I do not think you should have to apologies to having a strong opinion on something as long as you put it in the right way. I am loving all the nail related topics at the moment!

At the end of the day different people post in different ways because every one speaks in their own ways too. Its what I do like about here is you can almost hear the person talking. If your right to the point then good for you, any of you, but if your the kind of person who in person would say 'yada yada yada I'm sorry if this sounds bad but I think yada yada yada........' then you'll probably do that here too. Different strokes for different folks and thats great as its what makes everything so interesting.

Min x

When I post, I try to post as I would speak to someone, and I suppose, sometimes this could be taken in the wrong way.

I value the opinions of many of the geeks on this site. There are some very knowledgable and experienced girls on this board who I have learned enormously from.

I love this site. It is a very valuable learning tool, a great place to meet others who have similar interests and passions as you do, and the work done by some of the geeks on this site is something to aspire to.

Lets all help to keep it great by expressing honest opinions and accepting and respecting the opinions of others.

*JOANNE* said:
i love this site and have noticed some hurt feelings on the site as they have posted about them, ok i understand people can read to much into a post and the tone may not sound to good but.....there are thousands of geeks all different, geeks who are very strong minded and give matter of fact opinions and answers...not to be nasty or snide but because that is who they are, just like there are some geeks who's posts are sweet and kind.
some people click on here others do not, some people take things the wrong way you have to just ignore it dont take things to heart.
i have been a member nearly 3 years and have been on the sharp end of peoples typing....lol but thats the way of the world, life,
stop reading into things join in, if people dont like your opinions then hey so what, your opinions are what make you and others will agree others wont.

Here here!

I was having this convo with another geek the other day! Can't believe u brought it up Marian!

This is all just the way of the world, we all have opinions, we can all be wrong sometimes (I admit I am!), and like me, some geeks just don't have a way with words and mite just put it wrongly, however, I don't hold grudges when I disagree with someone and hope they don't with me either. This is a great site and I would hate to feel that people were afraid to post on here now, keep it comin x

Well said Jen

Im another regular geek who has stepped back from this site of late as i got sick and tired of little hitlers PM'ing me when i ever i "Aired my opinion" telling me "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT or YOU'LL REGRET SAYING THAT ON HERE".

Well NEWSFLASH if i was going to lose sleep over something i have said on here i would never of said it in the first place.

As vicky has said if all thought the same thing this site would be very dull!

As for chit chat and the Main forum,

I have alway thought that chit CHAT was just that....a place nail geeks can go to CHAT to one another if they have something else they would like to talk about ?

If we chat about nails why not call it MAIN FORUM 2

Thats my opinion anyway

Nail FX said:

I am currently totally dispondant with the Nail Geek with the constant nitpicking and repremanding that goes on on here at the moment.... it seems like there has been an influx of new moderators that feel they can jump on someone's thread just to tell them off ie - Don't post that here, its in the wrong forum .... Do a search .. its all been said before ..... That's not nail related ... we don't want that here .... etc etc ...

I have been a frequent visitor on this site for over 16 months now, and I am talking hours and hours of reading, absorbing, learning and enjoying the community spirit that this site used to bring. It feels more like a search engine these days than a comfortable forum. I am getting to feel 'guilty' if I can't come up with a reasonable nail related topic for huge discussion that hasnt been covered before ... honestly it really has made me feel totally miserable this last few weeks. This site and the people on it were such a large part of my new nail venture, now I feel its become very clique and I am no longer dying to come on to catch up ... it just doesn't hold it for me at the moment.

great thread Marian,
I am always happy to help where I can and seek help when I need it and I have never apologised for having an opinion.

There have been times when my advice/opinion has been wrong and when someone has taken the time to explain to me why its wrong, I am in turn happy to pass my new knowledge on down the line.

Ok. My first comment is to Geeg and Mum. I think you both know that I love women with balls.................and that's how I would describe you two. Spunky, feisty gals who shoot from the hip and who don't stand for any bo**ocks. Hooray for fricking Hollywood.

HOWEVER................what you've got to realise is that it's a little different for you two to voice your opinions than it is for most of the rest of us geeks.

Why? Because your word is God. In actual fact, I cringe at the way many of the geeks suck up to you both and I'm sure that you must find it a little uncomfortable at times yourself. If for example this post was started by I'm A Nail Whore Geek, would there be as many replies? I doubt it. In fact, that would be a good little test if you both went in under another name sometime to see if you get the same response. Also, to some of the newer geeks, you may come across as being a little scary. Now pick your bottom lips up off the floor girlies.

You may have noticed that I've been laying low over the past couple of months....................Er, hello...................Did anybody notice? The reason is that I'm bored. I'm sick of the mindless posts and the childish comments from a small minority. It seems that some can't blink without asking all the other geeks if they've already blinked that morning or if their right eye blinked a bit quicker than the left. Please..............give us a break. What must people think when they're just popping in for the first time? It's like a school playground.

People take things too personally on here. We all do at times and I can be as sensitive as the rest, but with some it's constant. If you're going to post on a public forum, then stand up and be counted. Be brave. Be bold. You don't have to know everything but bite the bullet and ask a straight question and take a straight answer.

Finally, I'd like to do away with the rep system as that causes more trouble than it's worth. There are people high on that list who never post on here so where do they get the pos rep from? Anyway, that's another thread.

Kimmi Rocks said:
Ok. My first comment is to Geeg and Mum. I think you both know that I love women with balls.................and that's how I would describe you two. Spunky, feisty gals who shoot from the hip and who don't stand for any bo**ocks. Hooray for fricking Hollywood.

HOWEVER................what you've got to realise is that it's a little different for you two to voice your opinions than it is for most of the rest of us geeks.

Why? Because your word is God. In actual fact, I cringe at the way many of the geeks suck up to you both and I'm sure that you must find it a little uncomfortable at times yourself. If for example this post was started by I'm A Nail Whore Geek, would there be as many replies? I doubt it. In fact, that would be a good little test if you both went in under another name sometime to see if you get the same response. Also, to some of the newer geeks, you may come across as being a little scary. Now pick your bottom lips up off the floor girlies.

You may have noticed that I've been laying low over the past couple of months....................Er, hello...................Did anybody notice? The reason is that I'm bored. I'm sick of the mindless posts and the childish comments from a small minority. It seems that some can't blink without asking all the other geeks if they've already blinked that morning or if their right eye blinked a bit quicker than the left. Please..............give us a break. What must people think when they're just popping in for the first time? It's like a school playground.

People take things too personally on here. We all do at times and I can be as sensitive as the rest, but with some it's constant. If you're going to post on a public forum, then stand up and be counted. Be brave. Be bold. You don't have to know everything but bite the bullet and ask a straight question and take a straight answer.

Finally, I'd like to do away with the rep system as that causes more trouble than it's worth. There are people high on that list who never post on here so where do they get the pos rep from? Anyway, that's another thread.

LOL Kimmie ... you always give me a laugh.
Got to say, that I'm not aware of peeps 'sucking up' as you so eloquently put it. Peeps usually suck up to someone to gain something ... what is there to gain from me!! I'm retired!!! JUbilada!!
Anyway if that goes on then it goes on ... I don't take any notice. I actually don't think peeps agreeing with my point of view is because they are sucking up .. it's because I'm RIGHT!! lol :lol: Only kidding folks.
You've probably lost me any friends I ever had on the site now by saying that ... all my friends will now be too frightened to speak to me in case I think they are sucking up.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back