Former Client now my competition!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmb223

Reaction score
I just found out a former client of mine has now launched her own mobile spray tanning business in the same area as me.

Not only that, but she is using the same solution that I use and she's offering tans at a cheaper price - i'm fuming!

I don't know what to do, the area is already saturated with spray tan techs, but most of them arn't mobile and no-one else offered the same solution that I use.

I'm worried that I am going to see my business drop off now she is offering the same tans at a cheaper price and I refuse to start a price war. I mean currently she's offering tans at £10! As a mobile tech it isn't even worth doing for that price but what can I do?!

Any advise is much appreciated.

Luckily, I have been established for 18 months so I do have a good client base, but I still get a lot of new business and I need this to keep my business growing.

You have two things to your advantage: your client base and the fact that you are so angry because it can make you determined.

Things you shouldn't do

Don't drop your price
Don't enter into any slanging match with her

Things you should do

Offer a great service
Increase your networking base
Consider putting on an offer for current and future clients.

Remember, you have the client base and experience. She doesn't. Make it work to your advantage.

Never worry about anyone else. I'm surrounded by salons and I don't give them a thought. Just be BETTER than her:)

Just because she's doing it, doesn't make her any good. We can all boil an egg but we can't all be Nigella Lawson. Up your game! xx

same thing happened to me a year ago a so called friend/client was asking me loads about spray tan courses and i was telling her things not for a min thinking that she was going to go and do a course considering shes never worked a day in her life and has 3 young kids then finds out she doing course etc then has cheek to say to ME here if i get too busy il just send them to you I NEARLY WET MYSELF LAUGHING im thinking this woman actually thinks she goin to go do a half day course then have a thriving business well that was say 10months ago and last month she txt asking if i want to buy her machine as SHE DOESNT USE IT ANYMORE
so dont worry and as for a tenner a tan nobody will go to someone who only charges that cos;

they will assume shes crap
they will assume shes using crap
she will realise she aint making money

well she wont last long enough to cause you much bother if she doesnt increase her prices so dont worry!

There is always someone cheaper but many people dont go by price... just get on with your own business and dont worry about her- there's plenty of clients to go around, just make sure they know where to find you and know how good/ nice/ professional you are. Just be better.

Dont give it a second thought

She wont be able to maintain doing it at that price, and the kind of people who go for cheap deals are always on the look out for new cheap deals, and as soon as she increases her prices her cheapo clients will look for an alternative cheap deal - not the kind of clinets you want anyway.

You sound to have a good, loyal client base, and I find that if you give a great service, then your clients stay loyal to you, and can see through the kind of thing that she is doing

Competition is always good, and should be seen as a good thing, just stay ahead of your game and focused - u will be fine and dandy

She won't be able to offer tans at £10 for long. I have been a beauty therapist for over 7 years and although I have never offered spray tanning quite a few friends and people I know have gone out and bought a spray tanning machine, some with beauty experience and some without. I heard of a few of them starting out at £10 then when it came to re-order solution they realised it was wasn't a good deal & tried to increase the prices by £5. Clients who are attracted to £10 prices aren't going to be happy with that much of an increase and will then switch to someone else.

She could just be offering them as a training price.

I don't understand why you are so angry and worried about it. Everyone has the right to do what you are doing, it doesn't matter if they are your friends, ex clients, relatives etc. Why she cannot do it too? You should be even proud - she took you as an example to aspire to. I do eyelash extensions myself and I have countless number of clients who went on to do the course and offer the treatment in same area as me and they also charge less. But so what? I have not seen my business drop as my clients love my work and are happy to pay a bit more. I have never been worried and always congratulate every single one of them for trying something new and wish them all success. This is why I have not actually seen my business drop as I'm not angry or worried about it.

Don't worry, one of my ex client's became a nail tech, we regularly keep in touch and sometimes work together doing pamper parties/weddings, she's really good at what she does and is a valuable contact. Clearly she wanted to make a better life for herself and her family, you must have inspired her.

I don't understand why you are so angry and worried about it. Everyone has the right to do what you are doing, it doesn't matter if they are your friends, ex clients, relatives etc. Why she cannot do it too? You should be even proud - she took you as an example to aspire to. I do eyelash extensions myself and I have countless number of clients who went on to do the course and offer the treatment in same area as me and they also charge less. But so what? I have not seen my business drop as my clients love my work and are happy to pay a bit more. I have never been worried and always congratulate every single one of them for trying something new and wish them all success. This is why I have not actually seen my business drop as I'm not angry or worried about it.
A threat to your business, and your household income is worrying. Yes, anybody has a right to set up a business, that's the spirit of free enterprise. However, when it's a relative, friend or previous client doing it, it can be a little bit hurtful.

When this happens, you tend to panic. You aren't silly to panic and it's perfectly reasonable to put in steps to protect your earnings.

This has happened to me a couple of times this year but like others have said, don't worry too much.

Look after your clients with regular contact and just laugh at the desperation of £10 spray tans. What clients want to show off that they're being treated by the cheapest therapist in town? I wouldn't!

Be confident in the service you offer, do the best you possibly can and you should only see your spray tanning business grow.

Good luck x

Thanks everyone, it was just a bit of a shock when I saw her advertising and it even took me a while to click that it was a former client of mine!

It's really made me think about my USP and has made me come up with some new promotional ideas and loyalty rewards for my client base that I want to implement in the new year.

It is good to have competition and it's given me a much needed kick up the bum, I think I had become a little bit complacent as I didn't really have any competition in the area up till now!

I also know how hard it is to get your business off the ground, I'm in my second year as a spray tan tech now and only in the last 6 months have I really seen my business take of as word of mouth spreads.

Who knows, she may not last the 1st 6 months as she's starting at a time of year that I have found tends to be a little more quite than during the spring/summer months.

Priory - so well said, that's exactly how I feel about competition! I've been doing lashes for over 3 years now and during that time my sister, best friend and a few clients have also started doing lashes.

Surely I would have been a terrible sister and friend if I said, 'No you're not allowed to make a better life for yourself because I started doing them first.'

I've always been happy to point my clients in the right direction if they want training and it's never affected my business because my clients like me, so they come to me. And yes a few have tried cheaper lashes but come back to me because they preferred my work.

Lmb223 - I'm so happy you've turned this into a positive. Competition always exists but there will be enough customers for both of you.

Although unfortunately she'll soon learn why people don't charge £10 for a tan the hard way. She'll probably find it's a lot of hassle for not enough money, especially when she comes to reorder her solution.

It's always easy to reduce prices but harder to put them up. She will need to put her prices up by at least 50% at some point and will probably find she'll have to find new clients.

Personally I wouldn't have a £10 spray tan, I'd rather the pay extra. The extra gives me peace of mind that they're not using a cheap product or make me streaky.

Forget about the competition and just be the best you can be. Your clients come to you because they like you and are comfortable getting undressed around you.

Good luck x

Have you thought about offering spray tan parties? You can tan 4 girls and the host gets her tan for free - i guess when you have competition the best thing to do is be good at what you do and always be on the look out for that little something extra you can offer your clients without loosing out too much yourself.

If your great at what you do - your clients will stay with you dont stress the little things!

Latest posts

Back