French manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman1

Reaction score
This may be a silly question for you geeks that do lots of French manicures. I have not done many French manicures with normal polish and just wondered how you tidy your smile lines. I have had a practice and tried to tidy them with polish remover but this then took off a line of the polish underneath. How and what do you use to tidy smile lines? Do you tidy each finger as you go or wait until all white is done then tidy?
I am using CND polish would you apply pink then effects then white or do you apply pink then white and effects of top?

Well... I don't tidy my smile lines with a french mani...

practice practice practice!!!!

Why do you use effects with it? I don't. If for any reason I had to tidy, I would use alcohol on my brush and do pink after white.

Hi I also don't tidy smile lines with normal polish it is just practise as Eskimo said and a lot of it lol I would do my base coat, White tip, pink then top coat.

I do tidy when need be. Still at the practicing stage. But I always do base coat, White, tidy, pink, top coat x

I also tidy when necessary. Try using CND Nail fresh, tiny tiny amount on a small detailing brush, worth its weight in gold!

I was taught to do the white first, that way you can tidy if you really need to.

I apply a small amount of base coat where I intend to apply the white, then I apply the white, after which I tidy up my smile using Nailfresh (wonderful tip courtesy of Gigi).

I don't tidy either. Just practice and a steady hand.
Rhiannon x

nailfresh for me too

I apply a small amount of base coat where I intend to apply the white, then I apply the white, after which I tidy up my smile using Nailfresh (wonderful tip courtesy of Gigi).

Such a good idea about using a small base coat under the intended smile lin area! I too have had days when I cant do a perfect smile line for toffee so I will remember this....

I also used dual cleanser on a gel brush on occasion to tidy but this can disturb base coats....

I need some serious help with my French polishing - I learnt at college seven years ago and had very few problems with it but until these last twelve months, I've never practiced what I had learnt......and I am AWFUL!
I don't seem to be able to apply a nice white smile line at all - Shellac - easy, no problems - normal polish - shameful :sad:.
I can't even think how I used to do them at college? I have OPI Alpine Snow but it seems thick and gloopy so isn't easy to apply, and as for crisp smile lines, phhhht! :Scared:
I am now developing some severe anxiety about it and find myself willing clients not to request it! :rolleyes:

All input is welcome xxx

Oh I can sympathise believe me! I cant seem to get the white right either, when I practice on myself or hubby(!!) it looks reasonably ok but then when I practice on a friend for real, it all goes horribly wrong. The more I try to sort it, the worse it looks! I've watched numerous videos, but I've resorted to practising every day at least a dozen times on tips? Maybe I need to increase this to 100 lol.

Good luck I'm sure we'll get there xx

Hi I also don't tidy smile lines with normal polish it is just practise as Eskimo said and a lot of it lol I would do my base coat, White tip, pink then top coat.

I also have problems with french manicure using normal polish, but when I tried doing the pink after the white it just dulled/tinted the white tip...??? What did I do wrong? :o

I also have problems with french manicure using normal polish, but when I tried doing the pink after the white it just dulled/tinted the white tip...??? What did I do wrong? :o

The pink that you used was too opaque for a French manicure in that case, just pick a sheer pink that is intended for French use.

this is how I was taught also - apply base coat along free edge where white will be, then apply white, then using an acrylic brush (one that you dont use for anything else), dipped in acetone and rolled into a nice point, you can tidy up your smile line if need be.

Like many others - I am still in the practising stages!

The pink that you used was too opaque for a French manicure in that case, just pick a sheer pink that is intended for French use.

Hi, thanks for your reply, but the pink I am using came with the white as a french manicure set. It's orly, so it is good quality too. The instructions do say to apply the pink after the white, so I did and like I said it tinted the white :-( should I just try a different more sheer pink and see if that works?

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I am just practising my french polishing atm and when I put the top coat on it smudges the white. Why is this? Am I not letting it dry ?

I am just practising my french polishing atm and when I put the top coat on it smudges the white. Why is this? Am I not letting it dry ?

Which top coat brand are you using? Quick dry top coats need to be swept over the nail lightly and quickly as they can re-wet the polish underneath if you are too slow applying. I use Lumos which drys super-fast and have smudged my nail art on more than one occassion...very frustrating, but makes you quicker :lol:

Hope that helps...

This was how I was taught as well. And it's best to work 1 finger at a time so when you go back to clean the smile line cuz sometimes laying the white on all 10 first then going back to tidy up ends up in bulky smile lines, plus, it'll be all dried and ready for the pink. :)

I've been using Lumos as well. I will have to be quick and light then. Thanks for replying.

Latest posts

Back