Friend? opening salon a few doors down from mine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann@vipnails

Reaction score
Hi all, I am gutted a friend has text me to let me know she is opening salon a few doors down from my salon!!!

I am trying to be positive, but am shattered, i would have found it easier to take if a stranger.

Self doubt creeping in but i know i have to get on with it, my salon opened 3 years the week she opens!!

Any suggestion please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has this happened to anyone else

annx

Hi Ann

It's not happened to me but there's not a lot you can do unfortunately. I am so sorry for you though and I can imagine it's hard to take, but you do have the advantage of being an established business and so have a reputation among local clientele.

You may find you will lose some clients for a while, but just keep your chin up and don't let her get you down.

Some 'friend'!

Sending you big :hug:

Let us know how you get on.

Sarah. xx

I would be really REALLY upset.

Then I would calm down and get rational.

Then I would be better, brighter, opening longer and offering more.

Then I would seriously undercut her with a stonking offer.

Remember you are established, with bigger resources at your disposal. She is the newbie and VERY prone to cash flow crises.
I have closed down opposition before, only do it if you are able to be totally ruthless.

Poor you that is tough
I feel hard done by when a local girl keeps using the same products as me!!! grrrr
Your clients come to you because its you and you must be lovely and provide a great sevice.:Grope:

Remember you are established, with bigger resources at your disposal. She is the newbie and VERY prone to cash flow crises.
I have closed down opposition before, only do it if you are able to be totally ruthless.

I agree with this totally. Don't have a conscience about this! She has stabbed you in the back, so now it's time to defend yourself and your business.
Good Luck! xxxx

You can't get better advice than this! Nice kitty!!! :)

You poor thing:hug: I totally agree with persianista's words of wisdom and from now on she is not a friend or she would not do that. There are many other options she had, she did not have to do this to you so from now on as others have said this is business and you have every right to be ruthless but professional - Good luck and let it spur you on not knock your confidence, after all she is only moving in near you to ride on the back of your hard work and success. x

You poor thing, that must be an awful thing to deal with!

If it was me I would have a massive big sign, balloons etc outside the salon for that week showing that you are celebrating your 3rd year birthday, have a party, invite all your clients, "to reward their loyalty" do demos, give goodie bag, special 3 year anniversary special offer, get a big ad in the local paper, give your clients a loyalty voucher. - show her who is boss!!
Also your clients might be so touched with your gestures in appreciating their loyaly to you that they would feel too bad to try out the competition

Sending you a hug :hug: x

Great minds think alike Emma, I was just going to post along the same lines as you. Make the most of your 4rd year anniversay, you have already got a client base, she is starting from scratch. Why not ask you local paper to do a supply and support feature, they have been the best for getting in new business for me, and Good luck with your future ventures. X

I think she has probably seen how well you have done and is copying. How close a friend is she? If she was my friend, I would ask her what she is thinking? this is your livelyhood?? does friendship mean anything to her?
susan x

If it was me I would have a massive big sign, balloons etc outside the salon for that week showing that you are celebrating your 3rd year birthday, have a party, invite all your clients, "to reward their loyalty" do demos, give goodie bag, special 3 year anniversary special offer, get a big ad in the local paper, give your clients a loyalty voucher. - show her who is boss!!
Also your clients might be so touched with your gestures in appreciating their loyaly to you that they would feel too bad to try out the competition

Sending you a hug :hug: x

I agree with Emma, and I do in part agree with Persinistas post, apart from the undercutting ;). I don't think reducing your prices to compete with her would be a good idea. Instead play up your experience and build on the loyalty of your clients.
Maybe introduce a new 'exclusive' treatment. I don't know if you already offer a treatment like Shellac or Gelish, but I would seriously look into doing so, I think the ladies who lunch in Helensburgh will LOVE this and YOU!!

Keep your chin up, it must be gutting that a 'friend' has done this, but as I always say, age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm :twisted:

I would have a party for your anniversary, and invite everyone! Goodie bags, demos, discounts if bookiungs taken on that day/evening etc.
What a BITCH of a mate u have!!
Chin up though, you are well established and she is treading in unknown waters, so she'll be sh*ttin it more than you babe!! :hug: x

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!! let your clients know your there and you have been there all this time which shows that you know what your doing and your experianced!!!

Send letters and text messages to all your clients inviting them (as you havnt got lots of time) but also hand out flyers in store too!! and remind them the day before with a text message if you have time as well!! you can do this all pretty cost affective if need be get to costcos and get some wine and nibbles and have vouchers made up and special offers on for the next few weeks atleast! :hug:

I wish you the best of luck hun keep us posted and keep your head up!! :)

The previous posts are great advice, you must be feeling quite let down by your friend . But you have your clients and she needs to start from scratch. Offer a few specials I am sure u will be fine, in Dumbarton every other shop is a beauty place and they seem to be doing fine . Xxx

am in a similar position, but hey, you know what, its just one of those things. excel, be the best and hold your head up high............. you know you can do it and as the end of the day, if you ride the storm, youll come out on top. think positive and understand that she must be of the opinion that there is no sentiment in business. so gloves on and go 10 rounds.!

Any updates....what have you decided to do??

I believe that you should keep your friends close... and your enemies closer.
Act excited for her, be all enthusiastic, and when she tells you what offers she is going to do... make sure you do them first, and cheaper ;)

In reply to the above posts, you do a STONKING offer and seriously undercut someone to force them out of business. Yes it costs you, but when they are new, with wobbly cashflow, it costs them MUCH more. Remember, you are not trying to compete, you are trying to close them down. Harsh, but business is harsh at times.

The ideas re- anniversary are great, could all tie in. I want a blog from you saying she has closed down xx

Thanks so much everyone you have helped lift my spirit!!!

I have acepted it now and walk past her shop with my head up and know i am doing the best I can my 3rd anniversary nxt friday and have plans ie wine choccies promotion girls leaflets advert in paper etc I have put alot of energy and effort into my business and i will keep doing just that and trust that whatever is to be will be..............

thank you all again much love and good luck to you all annxx

in Dumbarton every other shop is a beauty place and they seem to be doing fine . Xxx

That's just because so many beautiful people live there!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back